Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > Extract - Succulent Strawberry Blonde

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 06:01 AM   #21
Korben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Always seen Pete's never tried it though. I love Abita Strawberry Harvest Lager. How would the Pete's and this beer compare to the Abita.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #22
WildGingerBrewing
ISDID, I has it
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1893 Times on 1872 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korben View Post
Always seen Pete's never tried it though. I love Abita Strawberry Harvest Lager. How would the Pete's and this beer compare to the Abita.
I've never ttried the Abita so I can't answer that. The Pete's is great though!

I think I'm going to leave this one on the strawberries a while longer than the 1 week the recipe calls for. I found another thread on here about strawberry blondes and a couple of guys say they leave it on the berries for 3 weeks. And since both of my Better Bottles have beer in them, and I'm out of bottles, I can just leave this on the berries, in the bucket, until I can get one of the others bottels!

Old 05-12-2010, 05:40 AM   #23
Korben
Recipes 

Since this thread seems to be the most active strawberry brew thread how would this brew from AHS compare: AHS Strawberry Lager

I was thinking with the added flavoring. One could brew this and possibly rack it to secondary on about 3-5 lbs of berries for a week then then to tertiary to clear and bottle.

Also, three weeks on the berries seems long to me and I base that on absolutely nothing. Don't strawberries typically go bad at about 1 week. I know they are submerged but still seems long.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:40 AM   #24
WildGingerBrewing
ISDID, I has it

Recipes 

I agree that 3 weeks seems long, but I have seen it on one of the other strawberry threads. My problem is that I am out of bottles and empty Better Bottles. I have nothing to rack into except 6.5 gal buckets and I hate to rack 5 gal of beer into a 6.5 gal bucket with all that head space. So I may not have a choice but to leave it in secondary on the berries for another week at least.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:56 PM   #25
skydog4884
Recipes 

when i brewed this beer i added the strawberries to primary after a week. about a week and half later i moved to a secondary without strawberries. I added the strawberries to the original which was in a bucket and then when i went to take it off all of the strawberries were sitting on the top in kind of a mush type of substance. so i used my strainer and scooped them out and let the beer drain back into the bucket a little before i dumped the strawberries. the beer tasted wonderful and the women LOVE it. i can even drink it and enjoy it. enjoy

Old 05-14-2010, 11:01 PM   #26
WildGingerBrewing
ISDID, I has it

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog4884 View Post
when i brewed this beer i added the strawberries to primary after a week. about a week and half later i moved to a secondary without strawberries. I added the strawberries to the original which was in a bucket and then when i went to take it off all of the strawberries were sitting on the top in kind of a mush type of substance. so i used my strainer and scooped them out and let the beer drain back into the bucket a little before i dumped the strawberries. the beer tasted wonderful and the women LOVE it. i can even drink it and enjoy it. enjoy
Added the strawberries TO the beer. Interesting. I never even though about that. I just kind of assumed that racking ONTO the strawberries would be the way to go.

I broke down and bought 4 cases of bottles today. So I will bottling everything that's in secondary this weekend. Then I will be able to rack off of the strawberries and into terrtiary. I'm going to leave it for about 4 weeks before I bottle it.

Can't wait to try it.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:09 PM   #27
WildGingerBrewing
ISDID, I has it

Recipes 

Update...racked off of the strawberries into terrtiary this morning. The berries did NOT soak up any beer. I got all 5.5 gal. The color is golden with a hint of pink. The aroma is amazing and it tastes great! It is going to be very hard to wait on this one. My plan is 3 weeks in terrtiary and then bottle. 2-3 weeks after that I should be drinking it. Six weeks is going to be a LONG wait!

fireslayer Likes This 
Old 05-19-2010, 06:24 PM   #28
bckyrdkid420
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

thinking of trying this recipe this weekend...

Jason, can you write your fermentation schedule again. (ie: how long in primary, secondary, etc..) and any other info you might think would be helpful. This is gonna be my first fruit brew, so kind of intimidated...

Old 05-19-2010, 10:09 PM   #29
WildGingerBrewing
ISDID, I has it

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckyrdkid420 View Post
thinking of trying this recipe this weekend...

Jason, can you write your fermentation schedule again. (ie: how long in primary, secondary, etc..) and any other info you might think would be helpful. This is gonna be my first fruit brew, so kind of intimidated...
No problem. I followed Bluelinebrewers recipe for the most part (with a few ingredient changes due to LHBS being out of some stuff). I kept it in primary for 7 days then racked onto the strawberries. 7 days in secondary (in a bucket as well, 8 lbs of strawberries take up a lot of room) then back off of the strawberris into terrtiary, in a Better Bottle. I'm going to leave it there for 2-3 weeks then bottle for 2 weeks before drinking. It's going to be hard to wait. It tasted really good!

This was my first fruit beer too. I'm thinking of doing the same beer but with cherries. I like Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, but I'm not sure I would want 5 gal of it, so we'll see.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:37 PM   #30
WildGingerBrewing
ISDID, I has it

Recipes 

Update...After 2 weeks in terrtiary, I decided to cold crash it for a few days. I plan to bottle sometime this week. It's been 4 weeks at this point and I am getting really impatient!

Quick Reply