Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > Extract - Succulent Strawberry Blonde

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #281
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Entered this into local competition of 21 brewers. I didn't make the finals. Both judges (and a friend/fellow homebrewer) said it tasted more of rhubarb than strawberry, though the aroma they agreed was strawberry. Frozen berries were suggested as the likely culprit. Anyone else had this experience? Could it also have been a combination of the hops/beer flavor with the berries that created a more tart, rhubarb flavor? I taste strawberry, albeit slightly more tart than sweet, personally. I was thinking of adding a ton of honey malt next time to bring more sweetness to the party, too.

The manager of the local brewery suggested Oregon Fruit Products purees, though I can't seem to find strawberry in a manageable size. The company themselves wants you to buy two 42lb. boxes of it on a pallet...I searched for their consumer purees (in cans) for Nebraska and saw everything BUT strawberry showing up. Perhaps they don't make strawberry in a can? I've heard the flavorings taste quite fake, so I want to stick with real berries...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #282
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Sometimes those Oregon preserves can be found in the wine section of homebrew websites. I have seen them in large cans, but that is still better than a pallet load for sure!

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Old 02-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #283
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

My current kegged batch I would say is more tart than sweet. But with the blonde I made up which is slightly different than this recipe, it works quite nicely together. Everyone that has had a pint absolutely loves it. It's not too sweet so you don't chase off the guys, but not overly tart/tangy where you chase off the ladies. It's awesome. So awesome that I have another 5 gallons fermenting right now!

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #284
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewnoob1 View Post
My current kegged batch I would say is more tart than sweet. But with the blonde I made up which is slightly different than this recipe, it works quite nicely together. Everyone that has had a pint absolutely loves it. It's not too sweet so you don't chase off the guys, but not overly tart/tangy where you chase off the ladies. It's awesome. So awesome that I have another 5 gallons fermenting right now!
Don't get me wrong, everyone loves my beer, except the two judges of this comp. I'm coming to find though that beer that everyone loves isn't always the same thing as an award-winning beer. I'm definitely making more of this, judges be damned.

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #285
AustinFromTexas
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's been 7 days since I racked onto the strawberries and I'm still getting a bubble coming through the airlock every minute or so. I opened up my bucket and the strawberries are floating on top, mostly white, but still some pink on the tops that sit above the beer. I'm wondering if I should give it more time for the yeast to strip every last bit from the berries or if I'm good to go to rack into tertiary. It smells delicious so I'm getting antsy to bottle!

Old 02-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #286
tre9er
Recipes 

I'm starting to wonder if my use of Nugget hops, which impart more of an herbal, earthy character, affected the overall perception of the strawberry taste? Perhaps the herbal hops combined with tart strawberry led to a rhubarb-like perception? At this point that's where I'm at...I still think it's damn good.

Quote:

Old 02-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #287
ThaBrewFather06
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

This brew sounds great. I'm going to brew it for a horse race coming up in about 2 months. Super refreshing sounding beer!

Old 02-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #288
namyarb3
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 30

You gotta figure the yeast will eat up alot of the sugars in the berries, leaving the tartness behind.
I have brewed this 4 times, the last batch with half strawberries and half peach. Never been a sweet beer to me. Just a massive berry aroma, and the tart berry taste. My wifey loves this brew!!

Old 02-12-2013, 11:59 PM   #289
ThaBrewFather06
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Sounds perfect to suite the general beer drinker.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #290
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
Don't get me wrong, everyone loves my beer, except the two judges of this comp. I'm coming to find though that beer that everyone loves isn't always the same thing as an award-winning beer. I'm definitely making more of this, judges be damned.
For me, I don't send my brew to competitions. I personally see no point if I'm not trying to sell or open a brewery. Maybe there is added benefit that I'm just not getting? But I feel that quality is in the taste of the beerholder. I just want people to enjoy something that I love to create. If they don't care for it, I ask what they would like changed for the next time and I try and incorporate that. The only opinions that matter to me are the people actually drinking it!

I love this beer. i think it is one that will now stay on tap all the time. I have 10 gallons fermenting right now and still about 4-5 beers left in the keg. It's my family's new fav of mine.

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Quick Reply