Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > Extract - Succulent Strawberry Blonde

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #261
richlong8020
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Is it better to add the strawberries frozen or thawed? I think thawed then funnel it to a carboy. Thoughts? Or should I primary 1 week then add them to primary for another week. Then secondary?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #262
resQman4
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I did a ton of research on that exact issue. There were so many ways people did it and I am pretty sure all had the same results. I sanitized a couple plastic containers/lids cut the tops of the strawberries,cut them into thirds, froze them, thawed them and added to secondary for one week. I have only made this once but It came out just as I had hoped. I only used 5lbs also and I am glad I didn't use more. Also I sanitized my hands and just shoved them in the carboy.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #263
richlong8020
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Yea sounds good. Just don't know why you would rack on to them when you can add to primary. Interesting. But... If they are thawed then mashed into secondary through a funnel then it would be easier.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #264
WildGingerBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1965 Times on 1931 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just my $0.02, but when i developed the AG version of this, i was still in the "get the beer off the trub as fast as possible" stage of brewing. I dont secondary most of my beers anymore. I always rack this one to secondary, however. Something about dumping berries into all of the trub doesnt sit well with me. Thats the crap i'm trying to keep out of my beer by racking it two different times. That being said, i usually leave it in primary for 10-14 days before racking to a bucket. Berries always frozen. 7 or so days on berries then to terrtiary, which from now on will be a keg since i am now kegging. Good luck. This beer is great!

Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #265
richlong8020
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Sounds like I got a good answer. So I will primary, then rack on top of frozen berries, then secondary. Thx for the info. Really looking to this cause it's my next batch.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #266
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

This saturday is my racking on to berry day. I'll leave it for a week then rack to keg. Do you guys that go to a keg instead of tertiary put it on gas and carb as it clears? or do you just cold condition it for X number of days/weeks before gassing it up to drink?

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Old 01-30-2013, 06:32 AM   #267
AustinFromTexas
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just finished brewing this one, am uber excited about it! My OG clocked in at 1.062 and I can already tell this is going to be a tasty beer. Just put the airlock on an hour ago and it's already bubbling gonna ferment this for 2 weeks, rack onto frozen strawberries for a week, and then tertiary for another week before bottling. Man oh man I can't wait for 1) this batch to be ready to drink and 2) the warm spring weather to drink it in! 6 weeks and counting!

Old 01-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #268
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Today is kegging day for me! The bucket smells freaking FANTASTIC! I can't wait to try this. I won't lie, I probably won't let it age too much longer before trying it. Yeah yeah yeah, it gets better in time but this is too hard to wait any longer. I'll probably tap the keg this weekend.

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Old 02-05-2013, 01:16 AM   #269
AustinFromTexas
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm concerned about my batch- I'm still a newcomer to homebrewing and this was my first attempt at using a yeast starter. Not realizing that my fermentation was going to rocket off as fast as it did, I only cooled my wort down to 80* F before pitching the yeast. Within an hour of pitching I noticed the airlock was bubbling and the thermometer was reading 75* (despite the ambient temp being 66*). I was able to keep the ambient temp right where it needed to be, but the thermometer on my fermenter just would not drop below 75 throughout the entirety of fermentation. Now since fermentation it's gotten colder and the temp is sitting at 62... :/ my 2 questions moving forward are can I remain hopeful for a decent finished product despite my troubles with the temperature? And what are some good tips in helping me better regulate my temperature for future batches? (I'm already planning to chill my wort to fermenting temp before pitching my yeast next time)

Old 02-05-2013, 01:26 AM   #270
WildGingerBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1965 Times on 1931 Posts
Likes Given: 5

75F is not too terribly high. Check the temp range of the yeast you used. You should be able to find it online. More than likely, it will be great. As far as controlling your temps, the obvious answer is a temp controlled fermenting fridge. If you cant do that, search for swamp cooler. It will help control your temps. Good luck.

Quick Reply