Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > Extract - Succulent Strawberry Blonde

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #251
FredTheNuke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Has anyone tried this at 52F with lager yeast? Thoughts? I may give it a whirl with Wyeast Urquell.

Sour Fermentations In Progress:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...ps05852f14.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #252
sdclong
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

I had this in my primary for a week and the airlock never bubbled. I was a little worried, but the gravity dropped from 1.058 to 1.026 after the first 4 days, so obviously it was working... Racked onto 7lbs of strawberries after a week (wish I'd of used a bucket, but all I had ready was a carboy). Within a few hours I had a strawberry volcanoe, blew the top right off.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #253
wolfareno
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Some time constraints have put me in a pickle with this brew. Today I am scheduled to go to tertiary, but I won't be able to get it out of the tertiary for about 8 weeks. Should I go ahead and just keg it from the secondary (it's in with the strawberries right now)? Which would be the least damaging for this brew? Thanks.

-Wolf

Old 01-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #254
WildGingerBrewing

Recipes 

Liked 1930 Times on 1904 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You would have no problems letting it sit for 8 weeks in tertiary. However, if I was kegging this beer, I would absolutely skip a step and rack it to the keg. You are going to force carb it anyway, I assume, so as long as it is airtight, I would say you are good to go.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #255
wolfareno

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yep, I'll be force carbing, but I won't have it on gas the whole time I'm away. I'll just keg it, purge it, and give it a healthy shot of CO2 before I leave, and then I'll just keep it in my ferm chamber so the temp won't fluctuate too much. Thanks for your input, WildGinger!

Old 01-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #256
WildGingerBrewing

Recipes 

Liked 1930 Times on 1904 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That will work. I juat got my kegging system and for the beers i will secondary (or tertiary) i plan to do it directly in the keg and eliminate a step. Good luck. Safe travels!

Old 01-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #257
ArrowheadAles
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I second the straight to keg option. Or keep in tertiary. Obviously just don't keep it on the strawberries that long. When I made this batch, it would have really benefited from a longer holding phase perhaps in a tertiary or in my keg for a few weeks or months to kill some tartness. But I drank it all. Hope you enjoy!

-Washington Irving

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Arrowh...28728700564577

Old 01-15-2013, 01:15 AM   #258
sdclong
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

My OG was 1.058, spent 7 days in primary, then 7 days in secondary (w/berries), and now 2 full weeks in tertiary. For the last 2 weeks my gravity has been 1.017... gonna give it one more week, maybe 2, before I bottle... gravity just seems high. Anyone else have a FG this high?

Old 01-17-2013, 12:34 AM   #259
resQman4
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

My OG was 1.052 and finished at 1.010. It only spent 8 days in primary at about 65* and 7 in secondary at about 70* with the strawberries. Turned out great. Made the mistake of letting people taste it. Now it is disappearing very quickly.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #260
Brewnoob1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I did a variation of this. I did a redhook blonde extract recipe I have done before that my wife thoroughly enjoyed so figured I'd brew it again and rack it onto the strawberries. Should turn out nice. Here's the extract I did.

6lbs Light LME
1lb Honey
8oz Flaked Barley
1oz Tettnanger - 60 min addition
Edme Dry Yeast

It has been in the primary for a week today. I'll be racking it onto the strawberries next weekend. I keg so I'll be skipping the tertiary step and just letting it clear up and carb in the keg.

I wanted to do the original recipe as is, but my LHBS looked at the recipe and said it would be a lot higher than the 1.060 range. Not sure why they said that...and then I believed them on top of that. I wanted a sessionable beer for my wife. After doing some of my own calculations, the 8lbs of LME in the original recipe calculates right out to the 1.060 range. So, I think the LHBS were smoking the good stuff that day. Anyways, I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

I may actually do the All Grain version next time. I was limited on time this round so wanted a quick brew so went with the extract. My wife is super excited for this brew regardless.

Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

Quick Reply