Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > Extract - Succulent Strawberry Blonde

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #161
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Cold crashing mine now to try to clear it out a little. Don't think this beer will ever be clear, but mine currently looks the same as the picture above.

Anyone think of putting in a little splenda to combat the tartness? Or is there something else we could do to add a slight sweetness?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #162
BlueZooBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
Cold crashing mine now to try to clear it out a little. Don't think this beer will ever be clear, but mine currently looks the same as the picture above.

Anyone think of putting in a little splenda to combat the tartness? Or is there something else we could do to add a slight sweetness?
Gelatin worked great to clear mine up. Will post pictures tonight. Also, wine conditioner works to backsweeten if you are kegging. It will stop yeast reproduction so if you are bottling youd be better to use splenda or nutrasweet.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:40 PM   #163
hshiggins
Recipes 

Has anyone sweetened this beer using lactose with good results? Trying to decide the best path for some sweetness. Something about using splenda sits wrong with me.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #164
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshiggins View Post
Has anyone sweetened this beer using lactose with good results? Trying to decide the best path for some sweetness. Something about using splenda sits wrong with me.
I am very new to this, but I did use Splenda since i didn't know what would be better. I ended up using 3 tablespoons in the 5 gallons. It didn't add any sweetness, it was just enough to cut the tartness of the strawberries. I just kegged it this weekend and won't be trying it for 3 weeks, but I hope it wasn't too much as I don't want any actual sweetness.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #165
lextasy23
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshiggins View Post
Funny, I just mentioned this in another thread. I think it would give it a nice strawberries and cream taste.

(excited reading other recipes... I'm making my first strawberry now).

/threadjack

Next: Heady Topper Clone, Honey Hefeweizen
Fermenting: "Pucker Up, Buttercup" Extra-Hard Limeade, "First Born" 123 Minute IIPA
Bottled/Kegged: "Old Dirty Bourbon" Bourbon Barrel Ale, "Dropped Tailgate" Cascade Summer SMaSH, "Powerstout" Imperial Coffee Stout, "Barron Manor" Dunkelweizen

Old 06-30-2011, 02:10 PM   #166
makomachine
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Anybody brewed this and the strawberry alarm clock? Trying to decide which to take on first for the women of the clan. Their criteria will be the one with the best strawberry character.

Upcoming Brews: Surley Furious Clone, Uintah Wyld

Old 06-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #167
nootay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Ive got this on keg now. Used the all grain recipe with 6lbs of strawberry. I added them to the fermenter after 7 days. left them for 2 weeks, then racked to keg. incredibly cloudy, but that doesnt bother me. This is a big hit with non beer drinking women. it really tastes like a liquid strawberry with a little bit of twang at the end. Im thinking the frozen strawberries i used were fully ripened. i havent made the other beer, but based on the response ive got so far i think this would work well

On deck: pale ale
CO2 Carbonation chart
Mash Calculator
Pitching Calculator
Cloverhill Brewery

Old 06-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #168
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootay View Post
Ive got this on keg now. Used the all grain recipe with 6lbs of strawberry. I added them to the fermenter after 7 days. left them for 2 weeks, then racked to keg. incredibly cloudy, but that doesnt bother me. This is a big hit with non beer drinking women. it really tastes like a liquid strawberry with a little bit of twang at the end. Im thinking the frozen strawberries i used were fully ripened. i havent made the other beer, but based on the response ive got so far i think this would work well
Liquid strawberry sums up what they were looking for perfectly. I see a lot of posts on the other beer that seem to indicate it's more subtle and a bit tart which isn't what they are looking for in this. What brand frozen srawberries did you use? Thanks for the feedback!

Old 06-30-2011, 02:43 PM   #169
nootay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

i used kirkland brand strawberries. it was also the reason i used 6 lbs, because it came in a 6lb bag. This does have a bit of tartness, almost slightly sour, although i think it came from the strawberries and is not an infection. The tartness is very slight and comes after you swallow the beer.

On deck: pale ale
CO2 Carbonation chart
Mash Calculator
Pitching Calculator
Cloverhill Brewery

Old 06-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #170
makomachine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootay View Post
i used kirkland brand strawberries. it was also the reason i used 6 lbs, because it came in a 6lb bag. This does have a bit of tartness, almost slightly sour, although i think it came from the strawberries and is not an infection. The tartness is very slight and comes after you swallow the beer.
I'm ok with a slight tart finish. I'm more worried about a VERY tart finish like I had on my strawberry mead that was undrinkable. No residual sweetness at all and incurable even with back sweetening.

Quick Reply