I brewed this up a month or so ago. It's hit the two week mark in the bottles and I had my first real taste: holy tartness batman. I used 6 pounds of fresh, not-frozen, strawberries so maybe I had myself to blame. I didn't realize that real strawberries don't give off the candy sweetness that I'm used to in commercial versions. I thought it was too tart and needed to a few months to mellow, but my girlfriend said that she liked it as is. She said "I want to reduce it and pour it over ice cream."
I'm sure it'll mellow in a month or two.
I made a rookie mistake by pulling the beer off the yeast cake immediately after the krausen fell. (it's a long story.) I don't know exactly what diacetyl tastes like, but I've read the descriptions. I thought I had some diacetyl, so I pitched a starter at full krausen. That seemed to help some, but there was still a somewhat buttery taste at bottling. After opening a bottle, the carbonation seems to have cleaned all of the diacetyl, yay!
I would have done better to follow the OP's exact recipe -- I.E. 4lbs of berries.
EDIT: I did absolutely nothing to clear the beer -- there is even a seed or two in some of the bottles. As expected, it looks like a hefe.
If you like to clean, you'll love to brew.
Last edited by jathorp; 08-18-2010 at 03:04 AM.