Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > All-Grain - Strawberry Alarm Clock v3.0 (Strawberry Blonde)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 02:06 AM   #171
h0psnobery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

bump

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2013, 06:35 AM   #172
Stovetop535
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made a batch of this a few weeks ago to serve at a party he first week in may. It is currently in the secondary on the strawberries where it will sit at least another week or two.

One question, has anyone added some strawberries to the keg for additional flavor? I will be serving this from the keg at the party so it would be easy to drop a few lbs of strawberries into the keg.

Thanks

Alex

Old 04-16-2013, 02:43 AM   #173
theCougfan97
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

Just brewed this about 24 hrs ago. The fermentation is putting off a pretty foul/sweet odor, anyone know if this is normal?

Wazzu taught me everything I need to know, primarily my appreciation for beer.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:27 AM   #174
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I wouldn't worry about any odd smells during fermentation for any beer.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #175
ZombieBrew83
Made in Detroit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Notes on how long to let this sit on the berries:

I've made this recipe three times. I just racked the latest batch into a keg last night. Each time through I've played with the time the beer spends sitting on strawberries. My method for adding the berries is to put 4 pounds of whole, frozen berries from Aldi (econo grocery store) into a sanitized nylon bag, dunk the whole thing in starsan a couple times, and gently lower the bag into my primary bucket ( I do not secondary.) The bucket stays in the high 60s the entire time.

I've noticed slight differences in the final strawberry flavor/aroma in the finished product depending on the time the berries were in the beer. I've done 2 weeks, 3 weeks, and 4 weeks. Each time the beer turns out fantastic. It is a crowd favorite for sure. However, it seems like the longer time on the berries pushes the flavor toward strawberry preserves. The shorter time leaves a fresher berry flavor/aroma. Anyone else notice a difference? Just thought I'd share.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #176
weirdboy
Recipes 

That sounds like a heat x time issue to me. I bet if you had the strawberries on the beer at 35 degrees instead of high 60's you'd get a fresher flavor. I definitely get more of a "preserve" flavor if I pasteurize the strawberries before using them.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:45 AM   #177
brewser7
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I recently made a 10 gallon batch of this (third time) and I'm about ready to add the strawberries to the fermenter. I've been reading up on the use of gelatin to clear up the beer. I had a crazy thought to use a strawberry jello mix on this one. It could add more strawberry flavor or it could royally screw it up. Anyone ever try something like that?
Thoughts?

Old 04-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #178
weirdboy
Recipes 

My only thought is that it will probably kick off a bit of fermentation again, since jello has sugar in it. I tried to find out how much sugar is in it by looking at nutrition info online, and the only reference I could find said it's 80 calories in a 3oz packet, which would mean ~20 grams of sugar which is .7 oz...probably not enough to worry about, but I wouldn't want to do it if your plan is to bottle immediately afterwards, as it would probably screw up your priming sugar calculations. If you are kegging then I don't see why not.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:16 AM   #179
yellowjacket151
Recipes 

Sincere appreciation goes out to Wierdboy for this recipe. Second year I've done it. Went so fast last year that I made a double batch this this time around. This time I pitched 5gal with S-04 and the other 5gal with Notty's to do a side by side yeast comparison. My only tweak has been to add a small amount of lactose to the boil to balance the strawberry tartness.

Cold crash question- I recently picked up a chest freezer and am using it for this batch before my inaugural lager. After 3 days @ 35F w/ gelatin, the beer was absolutely crystal clear at bottling. I've never seen my beer clear up like that before. Should I have any concern about there being enough yeast still in solution to bottle condition?

Old 05-30-2013, 04:40 AM   #180
weirdboy
Recipes 

Crystal clear at at bottling? Business as usual IMO. That is how it's supposed to look! I would not worry about the yeast. Unless you've been lagering it for a few months you'll still get plenty of activity soon after you add some sugar to carbonate.

FYI I did this beer once fermented with a lager yeast, and it turned out pretty clean and tasty. I want to say on that one I did a split-batch and side-by-side fermented with S-04 and a lager yeast. The ale yeast might have been US-05, though.

Quick Reply