Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > All-Grain - Strawberry Alarm Clock v3.0 (Strawberry Blonde)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 05:45 AM   #161
madkap_78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

has anyone tried doing this recipe using strawberry flavoring instead of real strawberries? Is the flavor the same? how much would you need would 4oz be enough?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #162
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkap_78 View Post
has anyone tried doing this recipe using strawberry flavoring instead of real strawberries? Is the flavor the same? how much would you need would 4oz be enough?
IMO, flavorings are usually pretty strong so 4 oz would definitely be enough, but with all flavor in general, it comes to personal taste. That's also a key to having a bottle of flavoring - you can add to taste

That said, I do not believe that the flavor will be the same. Flavorings rarely are - again, that's my opinion.

I have heard that Wicked Pete's Strawberry Blonde is made with flavoring so you might get more of that sweeter flavor vs the tartness from the real berries.

In either case, I'm pretty sure I'd drink your beer.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #163
ZombieBrew83
Made in Detroit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkap_78 View Post
I have only done this recipe with real frozen strawberries so I can't compare. However, using the real fruit made for a delicious beer! What makes you apprehensive about using real fruit? I think that you could even try using less fruit and still have a delicious strawberry beer. IMO the 4lbs is really pushing the fruit flavor into an almost wine-cooler taste. But my wife (and her friends) love it and it is a refreshing beer on a hot day. Good luck!

Old 10-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #164
madkap_78
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was thinking it would be easier and probaly alot cheaper to just get some strawberry flavoring of some kind. If I go that route Ill probaly add it at bottling. How much should I add? I was going to do 4oz for a 5gal batch. is that too much?

Old 10-05-2012, 12:41 AM   #165
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 390 Times on 316 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Well it is certainly easier, although I don't know about cheaper. I usually make this when strawberries are in season and selling for dirt cheap. I think the most I've paid for the 4lbs of strawberries I've needed for this beer is around $6, and usually it is $4 or less.

Those little bottles of flavoring/extract are not particularly cheap.

I personally don't use the extract, *especially* the strawberry extract, because it has a peculiar flavor to it that tastes wholly artificial to me. You can taste it in e.g. Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde. That is why I came up with this recipe in the first place. However, my tastes are not the same as everyone else's, so if you want to do flavoring additions go for it. As to how much...my advice is to pull yourself maybe a 12 oz sample (be sure to measure the amount carefully...use a measuring glass to hold your sample) from the primary and try adding extract to it with a dropper for which you know the amount in each drop. Then you can slowly add drops, mix, and taste it until you get to the level of strawberry flavoring you like. Count how many drops you added, and figure out the ratio you need for the full batch.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #166
ZombieBrew83
Made in Detroit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 12

madkap, If you go to discount grocery stores you can usually get frozen strawberries for $2/lb in the Twin Cities. It really is not that difficult with frozen fruit. All you do is soak a large nylon mesh bag in starsan, dump in the fruit (make sure the bag does not touch unsterilized surfaces), knot the bag, and then put the bag in the primary. I've used this method twice without infection. The results certainly speak for themselves.

I would again urge you to bite the bullet and spend the extra couple bucks to get real fruit. Try it with only 3 lbs if you need to save a little. I agree with weirdboy about the fakeness flavor of strawberry extract. I did this with real fruit and the beer tasted and smelled like strawberry preserves my grandma use to make.

What ever you decide to do make sure you post your results to let others learn from your experience.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #167
absoluthamm
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Keg is ready and will be my football drink today

Keg #1: Sour Raisin Cider
Keg #2: Bonfire Imperial Smoked Amber Ale
Keg #3: Fairfield Nut Brown
Keg #4: Empty
Keg #5: Empty

Bottle Conditioning: Mackenzie's Barleywine
In Primary: Nada
In Secondary: None
On Deck: Berliner Weisse, Gose

Untappd: absoluthamm

Old 11-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #168
robodeath
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Has anyone tried Dogfish Head TweasonAle and compared it to this brew? I want to brew a gluten free version of this. Has anyone tried back sweetening it?

Old 11-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #169
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 390 Times on 316 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I had never heard of Tweason'Ale before, but looking at their page for it, my guess is that it tastes completely different. I will see if I can find a bottle around here and try some to get an idea of what that beer is actually like, because it's quite difficult to gauge just from reading a paragraph.

I have been meaning to brew a gluten-free beer just to try it out, but to be honest, I don't think I've ever even had a gluten free beer and I don't know which ones are worth drinking. I don't have any friends who suffer from celiac (at least, that I know of) so it's not like I am motivated to design gluten-free recipes. That being said, I have heard some interesting things about this stuff called Clarity Ferm, which is a fining agent that supposedly removes glutens from beer in addition to clarifying it.

Here is a thread here on HBT about it:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/has-anyone-tried-clarity-ferm-brewers-clarex-white-labs-175574/

And here's a short article which talks about Widmer's use of Clarex/Clarity Ferm in their brewing process for GF beers:
http://www.katu.com/news/business/Craft-Brew-Alliance-shares-gluten-free-beer-secrets-150193935.html

Old 11-18-2012, 04:12 AM   #170
robodeath
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have some clarity ferm and am going to try it with an extract honey cream ale kit. I was diagnosed with celiac disease 2 years ago. Drinking a sorghum pale ale homebrew right now.

I'm going to make a basic sorghum brew and secondary it onto strawberries and see how it goes. I'll probably end up adding honey before kegging, I like this TweasonAle, it's very sweet.

Quick Reply