Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > All-Grain - Strawberry Alarm Clock v3.0 (Strawberry Blonde)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #131
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 423 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 57

It is a subjective thing. I have friends that have tried it that really like it with the pureed pasteurized strawberries. To me, there is a bit of "cooked" flavor in there that leans towards almost a tomato flavor. If you think "strawberries" when you drink it, it tastes like strawberries. If you think "tomato" when you drink it, you can definitely taste tomato, IMO.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #132
brewser7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Great tasting recipe!! This was my first fruit beer and it was amazing. I had a small gathering of mostly BMC drinkers who absolutely loved this beer when they tried it, guys and gals alike. I had multiple people asking me if I could make it specifically for them. It looks like I'll have to double up and make a 10 gallon batch next time. Thanks for the recipe! One friend wants me to try it with blueberries next time. If we go that route, I'll report back with the outcome.

I quartered and froze store bought strawberries in a sanitized container and used a nylon strainer bag in the secondary for 2 weeks. Phenomenal!!
I used supermoss, gelatin AND cold crashed. The beer is crystal clear.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #133
ZombieBrew83
Made in Detroit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have a batch of this going right now. Just tossed 4 lbs of store bought frozen strawberries into my primary. I put the berries in a fine mesh nylon bag and dunked the whole thing in some star san a couple times, let it drip for a few moments before putting the bag into my beer. Checked the gravity; OG 1.052, FG 1.016. The hydro sample tasted a little sour. I used S-04 for yeast. I'll check in a few weeks from now and let you guys know how it's going.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #134
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Zombie, that's an interesting idea - probably one used by lots of folks on here. I had wondered how you would sanitze something like fruit without pasteurizing. I may attempt your method as I intend to make this next weekend. By the time I need to put in the strawberries, perhaps you'll have let us know if anything else has happened.

BTW, did you let the strawberries thaw completely before using the star-san? I am assuming you did because putting ice cubes in your beer would probably not be good for the lil' yeasties.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #135
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 423 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 57

No need to let it thaw. The yeast will be fine.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #136
ZombieBrew83
Made in Detroit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwortiz
Zombie, that's an interesting idea - probably one used by lots of folks on here. I had wondered how you would sanitze something like fruit without pasteurizing. I may attempt your method as I intend to make this next weekend. By the time I need to put in the strawberries, perhaps you'll have let us know if anything else has happened.

BTW, did you let the strawberries thaw completely before using the star-san? I am assuming you did because putting ice cubes in your beer would probably not be good for the lil' yeasties.

I did not thaw the strawberries prior to dunking them in star San. I'm not concerned with the cold hurting the yeasties. Besides, the star San will break down into a little yeast nutrient to give them a boost. I'll let you know how it all shakes out. It was rather unnerving putting the bag into my bucket since this is my first attempt at fruit beer.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #137
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Say WHAT? Star San breaks down into a yeast nutrient?.....I must learn more about this.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #138
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixs4r
We just kegged our ten gallon batch.

Split half and followed the recipe, added the strawberries, the other I let the wife do what she wanted so she threw in a pound of strawberries, some blackberries ans some cherries. Initial tasting is great, clarity and color are radically different as to be expected.

Will pour two pints when they are ready, we gonna let them age till we run out of current 10 gallons of beer. I should use the comparison of the two to talk myself into another perlic..... hmmmm
The mixes berry version if this I posted above turned out amazing. The strawberry only version was pretty good too.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:39 AM   #139
ZombieBrew83
Made in Detroit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwortiz
Say WHAT? Star San breaks down into a yeast nutrient?.....I must learn more about this.
I can' t site a source of this directly. But it is something I've read on HBT several times.

Phoenix, nice to hear the mixed fruit turned out well! Makes me look forward to experimenting with this in the future. My SWMBO is enjoying an apricot beer right now. She's a big fan of the fruit beers and I would love to help her enjoy my hobby. Do you know what ratio of fruit was added to the mixed berry batch? Maybe post the recipe on a new thread?

Old 05-01-2012, 04:02 AM   #140
Tizzomes
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quick Reply