Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > All-Grain - Strawberry Alarm Clock v3.0 (Strawberry Blonde)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #121
TheBusterBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Excellent thread. Thanks to everyone for the questions & comments. I can never get over how the smalls things can make such a big difference in brewing.

Thanks to weirdboy for the inspiration... I just ordered ingredients and will be posting pictures and results soon. Cheers!

Primary:
Secondary: Oktobeerfest
Kegerater: Strwbry Wheat Mexi-Cali Blonde Organic Ale, Mayday IPA
Bottles: Tree-B-Dub Barley Wine, Creme Brulee Imperial Milk Stout
Planned:
Ho-ho-holiday Ale, Mayday IPA 2.0

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #122
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

We just kegged our ten gallon batch.

Split half and followed the recipe, added the strawberries, the other I let the wife do what she wanted so she threw in a pound of strawberries, some blackberries ans some cherries. Initial tasting is great, clarity and color are radically different as to be expected.

Will pour two pints when they are ready, we gonna let them age till we run out of current 10 gallons of beer. I should use the comparison of the two to talk myself into another perlic..... hmmmm

Old 03-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #123
Ctayl9jq
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Could someone explain cold crashing a little more, is it necessary? Also, I have 1/2 ounce of german pearle and 1/2 ounce czech saaz sitting in the fridge, would that make it more bitter, or too bitter? Is worth trying it with that or spend the extra $1.50 for williamette? First fruit beer here.

Also, I think my other fermenter is going to be tied up, brewing possibly both either this weekend or one this weekend and one next weekend, is this a bad idea, can i throw the berries in primary and not move to secondary?

Last edited by Ctayl9jq; 03-21-2012 at 10:55 PM.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #124
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Cold crashing is never "necessary" per se. It is just an additional step that significantly improves the clarity of the finished beer.

1/2 oz each of Perle and Saaz might not be enough IBUs. When I run the numbers Beersmith gives me 11.3 IBUs when I substitute 1/2oz each for the willamette, and the target IBUs is more like 23-24.

So, I think no matter what you will want to go get some more hops to use for this recipe.

So far as the fermenters being tied up, you can delay transferring the blonde ale until you have racked off your other beer, cleaned & sanitized the fermenter again. It shouldn't be an issue. I have gone over a month in primary on this beer when I ran out of fermenters before.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #125
Ctayl9jq
Recipes 

Haha I figured someone might say you could let it sit in the primary, I am just inpatient and want to drink it early, like a lot of brewers out there, thanks for the help

Old 03-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #126
Ctayl9jq
Recipes 

Probably a stupid question, and something I should know-

With the DME conversion, do you still want to steep the caramel malt, and the flaked wheat as well or do you just use the two DME's, and the carapils

Old 03-23-2012, 01:23 AM   #127
weirdboy
Recipes 

Just the extracts + carapils. In fact, if you are using DME in particular, you probably don't need the carapils, either, but it certainly doesn't hurt the beer, and will give it a bit more body and head retention.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #128
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Read the entire thread today and enjoyed thoroughly. I have most of the ingrdients already so that's a plus. The wife and I will be taking a trip to NC in July with some friends and I plan to brew this specifically for that trip.

I have seen references to people using the US-05 or thinking about it but no confirmations of actually using it. Has anyone done so? I like to learn from others' experiences where I can

Questions I have:
- I've got a nylon grain bag - will that work in place of the paint strainer bag?
- I have 4 lbs already frozen berries. I assume I can just use them as is....or do I need to "break" them up?
- My buddy makes lots of fruit beers but they always seem to have "something" in them for some reason lately. He used the frozen berries so I'm wondering if I should puree and pasteurize them instead of just tossing them in - thoughts on that? I see that people using the halved, fresh on here obviously do not...but do you trust the store frozen ones? This would be my first fruit beer so I'm hesitant.

Thanks!

Old 03-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #129
weirdboy
Recipes 

US-05 is a fine yeast to use for this beer. It will have a slightly different impression of overall "fruitiness" due to the cleaner fermentation, and might finish a bit drier for you. I have done it with US-05 and it tastes good.

I have made the beer with puree and pastuerizing...it works but I ended up with lots of little bits of strawberry in the beer when I did that a couple times, and it also tastes a bit more like tomatoes to me than strawberries. I understand the concern, though, and I know several people who have gone with a puree who are happy with the results. I don't think I've ever used the store-bought frozen fruit for this, so I'm not sure but I imagine they must be relatively sanitary since people use them as dessert toppings and whatnot. At least around here, when it's strawberry season (which is when I make this beer) the strawberries are way cheaper fresh than in the frozen section, and the ability to carefully inspect and wash the fruit, and use it at its height of freshness is a big plus in my book.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #130
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

TOMATOES?! egad, sir. That sounds a little...uh...icky to me. I don't think I'd mind the little floaties or a bit of sediment. Your comment certainly gives me pause though. I'll have to think about that one.

Quick Reply