Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > All-Grain - Strawberry Alarm Clock v3.0 (Strawberry Blonde)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #111
uncleben113
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Oh I see. Like meat tenderizing for cells. Yummy!

Well as soon as I get this one under way, I'll post up some pics

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #112
ahaagis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I have tried both fresh and frozen and found that you get a bit more of the strawberry tartness while with frozen it sweetens the beer. The aroma is definitely strong either way!

Old 03-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #113
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Anybody experience a rather less-than-robust fermentation? I hit my preboil numbers, and I shouldn't but i assumed I hit my OG but i didn't bother to check. Pre-boil and post boil volumes were dead on.

Barely any krausen, pre strawberries. Checked the gravity and it's dead on for the recipe. Wierd.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #114
BIGCUNN60
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What if I just juice my strawberries in my Jack LaLane juicer? Seems I should get all the flavor and less strawberry mess?

Old 03-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #115
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I have no idea. Give it a shot and see what happens. I don't really get strawberry mess, however, because I use the mesh bags to contain the strawberries.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #116
Cromacster
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Looking for some input here. Followed to recipe posted. I used 4 lbs of fresh strawberries, washed, halved, then frozen before adding them to fermentation. Sat for 3 weeks on the strawberries. Now it has been in bottles for 3 weeks.

It carbed up very nicely, has a very very faint strawberry aroma. The beer itself contains little to no strawberry flavor. It has a hint of the tartness, but without knowing it was a strawberry beer I might never have guessed it.

Although you do get a very good strawberry flavor in the head, just not the beer.

Any thoughts or comments on how to get more strawberry flavor in the actual beer? Or is this how its supposed to be?

Bottled: Strawberry Blonde Ale, Bourbon Barrel Porter, California Lager, Lakefront Fixed Gear, Surly Bender Clone

Old 03-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #117
weirdboy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromacster View Post
Looking for some input here. Followed to recipe posted. I used 4 lbs of fresh strawberries, washed, halved, then frozen before adding them to fermentation. Sat for 3 weeks on the strawberries. Now it has been in bottles for 3 weeks.

It carbed up very nicely, has a very very faint strawberry aroma. The beer itself contains little to no strawberry flavor. It has a hint of the tartness, but without knowing it was a strawberry beer I might never have guessed it.

Although you do get a very good strawberry flavor in the head, just not the beer.

Any thoughts or comments on how to get more strawberry flavor in the actual beer? Or is this how its supposed to be?
That is how it's supposed to be.

You can try adding more actual strawberries for a stronger flavor, although there is a practical limit to how much you can add. I would start with doubling the quantity here, and see how you like it.

The other option is to try Oregon Fruit Puree, which is a pastuerized, concentrated (I think) fruit puree you can find in some homebrew shops, or buy directly from them, although they only sell larger quantities.

The other, other option is to use a strawberry flavoring or extract, which I don't personally like since they taste "artificial" to me, but which have a much stronger "strawberry" flavor to some people. This is what some notable commercial examples use.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #118
Cromacster
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
That is how it's supposed to be.

You can try adding more actual strawberries for a stronger flavor, although there is a practical limit to how much you can add. I would start with doubling the quantity here, and see how you like it.

The other option is to try Oregon Fruit Puree, which is a pastuerized, concentrated (I think) fruit puree you can find in some homebrew shops, or buy directly from them, although they only sell larger quantities.

The other, other option is to use a strawberry flavoring or extract, which I don't personally like since they taste "artificial" to me, but which have a much stronger "strawberry" flavor to some people. This is what some notable commercial examples use.
I wasn't necessarily looking for more strawberry flavor, just wondering if I hit the mark. I tasked it before bottling and it had pretty strong aroma and strawberry after tasted. I'm guessing that was because the beer just came off the strawberries at that point.

Maybe next time I will try upping the amount of strawberries I used as you suggested. Or frozen as some people say using frozen adds to the sweetness.

Edit: I've also been sick, so my taste/smell is most likely off. I'll have to have someone else try it.
Bottled: Strawberry Blonde Ale, Bourbon Barrel Porter, California Lager, Lakefront Fixed Gear, Surly Bender Clone

Old 03-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #119
weirdboy
Recipes 

Oh, you didn't freeze them? Yeah, that makes a difference. It is also what I recommend in the OP, I'm pretty sure.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #120
Cromacster
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Oh, you didn't freeze them? Yeah, that makes a difference. It is also what I recommend in the OP, I'm pretty sure.
Nah I froze them, I meant I'll buy already frozen strawberries for the next batch.

Quick Reply