Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > Extract - Sam's Raspberry Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #11
ravenfanatic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Im confused by the ammount of puree you called out in the recipe "1 - 3 lbs. 1oz. can Red Raspberry Puree" How much did you use?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
evolcoms
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I used the full can. It's (1) 3lb can

Beers
In the Works: Peach Berry Wheat Ale
Conditioning: Blue Moon Clone, Double O' Blossom Honey Hefeweizen
In the Fridge:Blind Pig IPA, Raspberry Wheat Ale, Capt. Cascade American Amber Ale
Ciders
Primary #1: Carmel Apple Cider 4 weeks on 01/16/13 Primary #2: Spiced Apple Cider 2 weeks on 01/17/13

Old 05-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #13
evolcoms
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMac81 View Post
How dark does this beer turn out? I was thinking of doing this type with cherry and was curious.
It's not to dark. It's definitely darker than a Hefeweisen

Beers
In the Works: Peach Berry Wheat Ale
Conditioning: Blue Moon Clone, Double O' Blossom Honey Hefeweizen
In the Fridge:Blind Pig IPA, Raspberry Wheat Ale, Capt. Cascade American Amber Ale
Ciders
Primary #1: Carmel Apple Cider 4 weeks on 01/16/13 Primary #2: Spiced Apple Cider 2 weeks on 01/17/13

Old 07-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #14
Boston_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am new to Homebrewing, and after making a "kit" brown ale- I wanted to make something different and came accross this. Since I am new I made a mistake, as I added too much water to my primary when I was topping it off afte the wort chilled. I had nearly 6 gallons that went into the primary which gave me an OG of 1.042. Just racked to the secondary and the gravity reading was 1.012 after 1 week. The only change I made was I added 2 lbs of fresh raspberries and 1 lb of 'mixed berries' hoping some of the strawberries and blueberries would cut some of the tartness I have read. Also added was 1/4 cup of blackberry schnapps after freezing the berries and pectic enzime 2 1/2 tspns. I do not have a FG as I just put it into the secondary, but it is slowly fermenting again after the addition to fruit and schnapps. Looking forward to trying the finished product.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #15
AndyMac81
Recipes 

Welcome tohomebrewing. Someof the tartness will dissipate as it conditions in bottles but one thing I do keep around is extract if I'm making a fruit beer ( especially withblackberries). It's handy in case the fruit purée you use is a little too tart or if the fruit you dropped in wasn't quite ripe. I found sometimes 1 oz of extract at bottling is enough to cut the tart without making the beer overly sweet.

Keep us posted on howit turns out.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #16
Boston_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Will do, that actually is a good idea thanks- I am going to brew a Chocolate Stout next and I will need to go to my LHBS to pick up supplies. I was worried about some of the extract tastes, but I think next week when I go to bottle, I will take a FG reading and taste before and after adding a few drops to the Hydro tube and retaste.

-edit- Any suggestions on bet ways to make sure I do not suck up any fruit when I auto siphon to the bottling bucket?I was thinking on having the end in the bottling bucket go into a strainer while trying not to splash.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #17
Boston_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quick update- 6 days ago I added the three lbs of fruit and it started fermenting again after a 1 week in the primary (airlock activity ended) before going to the secondary (with fruit). I want to get the beer off the fruit as I have read that after 1 week issues of taste and mold can come up. Not sure if anyone wants to weigh in of how long is recommended, but should I go get off the fruit and into another fermenter?

Old 07-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #18
AndyMac81
Recipes 

If you used fresh fruit that can be an issue,. Just take a quick taste and that will tell you all you want to know. I usually use frozen fruit so the mold doesn't become an issue but you sacrifice some taste by doing that.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #19
Boston_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used both fresh that I froze and then frozen "mixed berries' to give some additional sweetnes of the blueberries and straberries. I am not sure what I would be looking for is taste. there is also a 3/5 inch layer of fruit I would have to push through to get a to the beer. my concern is that is is still bubling away- still this morning- and I was planning on bottling it tomorrow- it would be then 1 week in primary- one week in glass carboy with 3 and change lbs of fruit.... I am stuck between not wanting off tastes from beer left on the fruit too long and possibly too dry of a taste and pulling the beer off early and having bottle bombs....

Old 07-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #20
AndyMac81
Recipes 

If you have a "thief" hydrometer, just take a sample. Otherwise, get a long piece of tubing, sterilize it, and dip it. You can plug theoutside end with your finger to create a vacuum.

Quick Reply