Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > Rose City Red Raspberry Oatmeal Wheat (Partial Mash)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
The_X-man19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Rose City Red Raspberry Oatmeal Wheat (Partial Mash)

Recipe Type: Partial Mash
Yeast: W\'Yeast 1332 Northwest Ale
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.053
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 30
Boiling Time (Minutes): 30
Color: 13.1
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days @ 68-74
Tasting Notes: Oatmeal adds nice body. Berry not overpowering but well balanced with malt and hops.

Background info:

My best friend John first brewed a raspberry ale based on this recipe. Once I started brewing for myself, I decided to make some changes I thought would make it better, and I was right!

This was my 2nd attempt; the first used a different yeast and only 1/2 lb flaked oats), and the hop choices differ because my local supply store was out of Amarillo and Crystal.

This recipe took 2nd overall in the 2012 Timbers Army Homebrew contest with a 40.5 score (1st place scored 41), and won the people's choice in the public vote.

Grain Bill:
.5 lb Crystal 20
.5 lb Crystal 40
1.0 lb Flaked Oats
6.6 lb Wheat LME

Hop Bill
1.0 oz Cascade pellets (30 min)
1.0 oz Liberty pellets (20 min)
1.0 oz Willamette pellets (10 min)

Other Ingredients
6.0 lb raspberry puree

Steep malts and oats for 30 min @ 150 degrees in 2-3 gallons of water. Remove grains from wort and bring to boil. Add hops at time intervals above for this 30 minute boil. Cool to around 75 degrees and place into fermenter. (I bought an 8 gallon bucket for this, because my 6 gallon plastic carboy wouldn't be large enough to hold the berries). Pitch yeast and allow to ferment for 7 days.

After seven days, add 6 pounds (96 oz) of raspberry puree (I use this, Berry Up, which I find at my local Cash & Carry; 35 oz containers, and you'll end up with about a 1/4 of one left at the end to get the measurement right. Save for future batches!). Let ferment/flavor for an additional 7 days. Rack to another carboy to separate the berry solids, and either keg or bottle as you see fit.

I'll add photos if I can scratch any up later of the finished product. This beer turns out very red. Adding some pectic enzymes, it can preserve that color longer.

According to Widmer, the antioxidant properties of raspberries can preserve the beer for up to three years, so if you'd like to age this, it's doable. I'll be doing that this summer, and will post updates annually.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
AndyMac81
Recipes 

Before the fruit addition how dark is the beer? Is it pilsner colored?

Old 06-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
The_X-man19
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMac81 View Post
Before the fruit addition how dark is the beer? Is it pilsner colored?
I would say it's a rather light tan. The most recent brewing I forgot to add some Irish moss, so it stayed very cloudy. Definitely think it's better with the Irish Moss (at the beginning of the boil)

Primary:
Secondary:
2012 Timbers Army Contest "Full 90" category - 2nd Place - Rose City Red Rasberry Oatmeal Wheat
2012 Timbers Army Homebrew Contest "People's Choice" winner - Rose City Red Rasberry Oatmeal Wheat

Old 06-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
AndyMac81
Recipes 

Excellent. I've been looking for a good wheat ale base to do some fruit experiments with. I want to try this with blackberries and see howit does.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
AndyMac81
Recipes 

Excellent. I've been looking for a good wheat ale base to do some fruit experiments with. I want to try this with blackberries and see howit does. What yeast do you use for this?

Old 06-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
The_X-man19
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMac81 View Post
Excellent. I've been looking for a good wheat ale base to do some fruit experiments with. I want to try this with blackberries and see howit does. What yeast do you use for this?
The recipe calls for the W'Yeast 1332 Northwest Ale yeast.

My friend did this with blackberry once, but it didn't turn out so well for him (probably because he used a canned wine base instead of real fruit puree), but I think this would be a good base for many fruits. I'm intending on giving blueberry a try this summer.

Primary:
Secondary:
2012 Timbers Army Contest "Full 90" category - 2nd Place - Rose City Red Rasberry Oatmeal Wheat
2012 Timbers Army Homebrew Contest "People's Choice" winner - Rose City Red Rasberry Oatmeal Wheat

Quick Reply