Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > All-Grain - Roasted Blackberry Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
LayerUp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

hmmm, this certainly looks interesting. What are your thoughts on dropping the late addition hops by half, or maybe a little more. I don't necessarily like the idea of cascades competing with blackberries, especially with such a small addition (3 lbs). Additionally, what about upping the lovibond on the crystal, mostly for color purposes, but some raisiny fruitness may be nice too..... Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #12
MichaelsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayerUp
hmmm, this certainly looks interesting. What are your thoughts on dropping the late addition hops by half, or maybe a little more. I don't necessarily like the idea of cascades competing with blackberries, especially with such a small addition (3 lbs). Additionally, what about upping the lovibond on the crystal, mostly for color purposes, but some raisiny fruitness may be nice too..... Thoughts?
I think you're just fine changing up the hops/addition amount. I have not had issues with the cascades challenging the blackberries. Also, upping the crystal may be interesting indeed. This one is quite roasty so that may provide a little more fruit, as you're assuming. If you do make this recipe or modify, please report back!

Cheers!

Old 06-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #13
LayerUp
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelsBrewing View Post
I think you're just fine changing up the hops/addition amount. I have not had issues with the cascades challenging the blackberries. Also, upping the crystal may be interesting indeed. This one is quite roasty so that may provide a little more fruit, as you're assuming. If you do make this recipe or modify, please report back!

Cheers!
Alright, sounds good. I'm still undecided about the hops, I'll probably go with what your recipe suggests, simply because it worked for you, but I will probably also go with a darker crystal.

This is on the list to brew, but it might still be a couple weeks, I've got a couple beers to do between then and now. I've also still have 60 lbs or so of blackberries in the freezer from last year, and since august is coming up, I need to clear them out so I can make room for more. The girlfriend can only drink so much blackberry cider....

Edit: how high are you carbonating this? your second picture suggests a rather large amount of dissolved CO2....

Old 06-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #14
MichaelsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayerUp

Alright, sounds good. I'm still undecided about the hops, I'll probably go with what your recipe suggests, simply because it worked for you, but I will probably also go with a darker crystal.

This is on the list to brew, but it might still be a couple weeks, I've got a couple beers to do between then and now. I've also still have 60 lbs or so of blackberries in the freezer from last year, and since august is coming up, I need to clear them out so I can make room for more. The girlfriend can only drink so much blackberry cider....

Edit: how high are you carbonating this? your second picture suggests a rather large amount of dissolved CO2....
Pay no mind to what I suggested as the carb amount. I usually throw this in my corny keg at about 10lbs of pressure. Set and forget. I am not looking to have a lot of carbonation as the co2 and the roastiness does not compliment one another IMHO.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #15
Baileisdad
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Going to brew this one Saturday. Using the darker crystal and a little bit more roasted. Also trying to decide if I want to use pacman or my washed American ale yeast.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #16
MichaelsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baileisdad
Going to brew this one Saturday. Using the darker crystal and a little bit more roasted. Also trying to decide if I want to use pacman or my washed American ale yeast.
I'd say go for it. Pacman is a good one. I will probably use London ale yeast next time I make it. Blackberries aren't quite ripe in Ohio yet...

Old 07-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #17
Baileisdad
Recipes 

They are not ripe here either but I was thinking frozen ones would work

Old 07-11-2013, 03:14 AM   #18
MichaelsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
They are not ripe here either but I was thinking frozen ones would work
Yeah they definitely will work. Last batch I made were from frozen berries.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #19
Baileisdad
Recipes 

Brewing this up as I type. Going to pitch yeast as soon audit cools then off to the Oregon country fair. Good times!!

Old 07-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #20
Baileisdad
Recipes 

Quote:
Brewing this up as I type. Going to pitch yeast as soon audit cools then off to the Oregon country fair. Good times!!
Oh yeah. Going to use Marion berry instead of black.

Quick Reply