Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > Extract - Requiem Raspberry

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #421
SunnyAndCher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

I brewed a version of this recipe, but substituted Wyeast 3278 - Lambic Blend for the Nottingham Ale yeast. Siphoned off a sample at Day 8 in secondary and it was DELISH! Loyal Wife, a non-beer drinker even approved.

Strange things started happening around day 11 in secondary. Now at Day 63 in secondary with the grossest, most amazing pellicle in full bloom. Going to have to wait for the fruit to hit the bottom in order before I rack, which I understand can take up to a year!!

Strongly recommend sticking with the original recipe on this one. It's definitely an award winner.

flanders-red-6mo.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #422
SunnyAndCher
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

@MicRoBrew1 Looks like the beginning of a pellicle. Same thing happened to mine and I left it. Developed into a ful-blown, alien-poo-looking sludge on the top. I was blaming it on the use of a Wild Yeast blend. Glad to see it has happened with the Notty, too. I'm letting mine continue to sour. Looks gross, but much like a traditional Lambic or sour, it's supposed to be a normal part of the process??

Feel like I'm taking my life into my hands, but I'll have to let you know how it turns out.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #423
Nompton
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just brewed 2.5 gallons of this. I purposefully wanted the gravity higher 1.065 because I am going to rack 1 gallon off in a couple days onto berries and WLP650 + a couple dregs of various brett beers. I'll leave the remaining ~1.5 gallon to finish the primary of 14 days, then rack onto berries as the recipe calls for.

Edit: attached a blowoff tube to the primary within an hour or so of pitching. I can tell it's going to be a beast.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #424
Nompton
Recipes 

Not sure if anyone still checks this thread but...

This was by far one of the most violent fermentations I've ever had. It was already forming krausen about an hour after pitching (Winsdor), and continued to pump out krausen into the blowoff a solid 30 hours later. Kept it around 64F, too. I was legitimately worried my blowoff tube would not be enough.

Checking SG today, hoping for something sub 1.030 but above 1.020 so I can siphon off a gallon and add WLP650. I plan to let it go for a solid six months before adding the raspberries to the brett batch. I'll probably back sweeten with lactose eventually to ensure it's not just a funky-bitter bomb.

Redbow Likes This 
Old 11-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #425
Redbow
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default I am following

Nompton, I am following. I plan to make this some time when I have free raspberries.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #426
rel322
Recipes 

Not sure, has anyone tried substituting peaches for the raspberries? (kinda hard to sift through 40 some odd pages)

Old 11-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #427
Nompton
Recipes 

Well, due to time constrains, I haven't had the time to rack this into a secondary, nor do I think I'm going to. I have some krausen still floating on top, it's pretty "unsightly" for fermentation... but then again I think I'm the only person who cares about aesthetics during fermentation. I wish it would have flocc'ed out more.

I haven't checked the SG, but it could be around 1.020. Winsdor seems to get really mixed reviews. I'm going to let it go for two weeks, check SG, if it's 1.020+, I'll go ahead and pitch brett dregs and WLP650 into half the batch and just rack the remaining on top of raspberries and cranberries.

Not sure if I'll soak them in campden or just pasteurize the berries beforehand.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:55 AM   #428
Nompton
Recipes 

Question to those who have used campden to sterilize the raspberries:

Did you need to repitch yeast after adding berries? Will the berries absorb the campden and kill the yeast? Should I just say screw it and brett the whole batch and add berries in six months?

Old 11-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #429
Nompton
Recipes 

To those who are still following, I apologize for the marathon of updates. Maybe someone finds (or will find) my process helpful.

After talking briefly with the LHBS (Learn to Brew in Moore, OK--highly recommend), I've decided to soak the raspberries in campden overnight, drain, then add to a secondary, racking the proto-beer on top.

I'm actually splitting my batches into two smaller one-gallon secondaries. One gallon is a requiem raspberry, the other is a cranberry ale. Here's my plan (for the last time):

SG is 1.018 (which is a bit high IMO). I'm hoping racking to 2d, adding raspberries/ cranberries, and warming the fermentors to 70F will help. They've been sitting at 60F the two weeks because I'm a cheap ass and don't want to turn on my heat. The Winsor did not floc very well, at all. If I need to repitch, I'll probably throw in something known to floc out well (plus the campden isn't going to help clarity issues). I've ditched the idea to sour a batch, for now.

As for the cranberry (brown) ale, I'm going to make a "priming" tea when it comes time to bottle with some of the beer, priming sugar, bitter orange, and cinnamon. I'm going for a holiday feel with the latter, could turn out terrible, who knows.

I'll take pics and upload for anyone interested.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #430
EGeekBMe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I made this once and we bought fresh raspberries, rinsed them in the sink like we would've any other fruit or vegetable. Then put them into quart bags and froze them. The freezing if I recall correctly was recommended to rupture the membranes. After the thawed, I racked the beer into a carboy after a week of fermenting and put the raspberries in. The fermentation picked up again with the raspberries with a vengeance.

I had read all the suggestions to sanatize the fruit also but decided not to and in the end came out really well. Not sure if I just got lucky or not but I'd do it the same way again the next time.

Quick Reply