Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > Extract - Requiem Raspberry

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #381
dannylerch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 37

So just to clarify, use campden tabs with some water and fruit, soak together for 24 hours then add to secondary correct?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #382
Delaney
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylerch View Post
So just to clarify, use campden tabs with some water and fruit, soak together for 24 hours then add to secondary correct?
yeah...because it is recommended to add the fruit to secondary and not primary, I'd schedule this so that you can add the fruit to your empty secondary fermenter, and rack the beer on top of the fruit. This will minimize splashing and thus oxidation.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:17 PM   #383
dannylerch
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I am going with something else. Went to a legendary lhbs called Just brew it. http://aardvarkbrewing.com/

I was picking up a mash tun because I'm now moving into the AG world. Anyway, I started talking with the guy about Fresh Raspberries, Raspberry Extract, and pre canned Raspberry puree. They 100% said go with Raspberry puree. Of the kind that is made for making raspberry wines. His reasoning, because they came from orchards that are growing raspberries in vineyards, they are made for making wine and beers.

So I picked up a can of this...

My reasoning? I trust this guy, local microbrew staff and owners were trained by him. He said also that the canned raspberries are already sanitized as well. As long as you cut the can open on the top of the inner rim to open you're fine. Plus you can sanitize the can as well. The can was pricey but I plan on dumping the entire thing into a carboy and see how she goes.

So here is my question. Since I used wyeasts lambic strain, how long of a secondary and bottle conditioning period am I looking at? I have a feeling It's gonna be like 4-6 months in secondary at least and maybe 3 months in the bottle. Is this true? Has anyone made this with Lambic yeast yet?

Old 02-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #384
t-ross
Recipes 

Quote:

So here is my question. Since I used wyeasts lambic strain, how long of a secondary and bottle conditioning period am I looking at? I have a feeling It's gonna be like 4-6 months in secondary at least and maybe 3 months in the bottle. Is this true? Has anyone made this with Lambic yeast yet?
I have a Lambic going right now with the Wyeast lambic blend. I noticed some of the characteristic flavors in about two months but I am planning on going 6 months before adding fruit. I have mine in plastic bucket on the yeast cake. From what I've read having a little bit of O2 permeating through is important.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #385
t-ross
Recipes 

I am wondering about the roasted barley and how it contributes to the flavor. I read through most of the posts and didn't see any discussion about it. To me it sounds like an interesting and unusual choice to include for this type of beer.

Any thoughts about the barley?

I am planning to do something similar but maybe with black currant instead. The crystal seems like an obvious choice to include so I'll definitely have that in my recipe.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #386
Delaney
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
I am going with something else. Went to a legendary lhbs called Just brew it. http://aardvarkbrewing.com/

I was picking up a mash tun because I'm now moving into the AG world. Anyway, I started talking with the guy about Fresh Raspberries, Raspberry Extract, and pre canned Raspberry puree. They 100% said go with Raspberry puree. Of the kind that is made for making raspberry wines. His reasoning, because they came from orchards that are growing raspberries in vineyards, they are made for making wine and beers.

So I picked up a can of this...

My reasoning? I trust this guy, local microbrew staff and owners were trained by him. He said also that the canned raspberries are already sanitized as well. As long as you cut the can open on the top of the inner rim to open you're fine. Plus you can sanitize the can as well. The can was pricey but I plan on dumping the entire thing into a carboy and see how she goes.

6 months in primary, then another 6-18 months in secondary with fruit. Takes at least 6 months for the organisms other than yeast to grow in population. The rationale is to wait until these populations are large enough that they will be digesting the fruit you add, and not the yeast.

I'd be interested to see what the raspberry puree tastes like...That being said, doesn't mean you can't find raspberries suitable for wine/beer making which are fresh...I still believe that fresh raspberries would be better.

I wonder how they sterilize the raspberries? If it's pasteurized with heat, then you'd definitely be better off with fresh raspberries + campden. I've considered buying these containers in the past for hard to come by fruit, but the price never justified it. Given the amount of time that goes into a lambic, could be worth it. I wouldn't bother for a regular ale, unless you're BALLIN.

If rubus occidentalis grows near where you live, I HIGHLY recommend you pick some and try using these
Old 03-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #387
Kiggru
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Brewed JohnySax's recipe a few weeks ago. Sadly raspberries are out of season so I had to use oregon puree and frozen black berries. The puree has kicked the ferment up CRAZY!!! almost have to attach a blowoff tube. My OG was 1.070 and before I added the berrie mix it was 1.012. I dont mind the extra alcohol, but I took a taste test and I'm getting no berry flavor at all. I'm thinking I fermented a lil high on the temp (70-72). Started the brew on 17 February and I racked to secondary with berries on 1 March. Not incredibly worrying, just wish I was getting some berry taste, thinking of racking again on 32oz of blackberry so I wont get any more ferment. Any hints or should I just chill out?

The unwise man is awake all night,
and ponders everything over;
when morning comes he is weary in mind,
and all is a burden as ever. - Poetic Edda

Old 03-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #388
JonnySax
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiggru View Post
Brewed JohnySax's recipe a few weeks ago. Sadly raspberries are out of season so I had to use oregon puree and frozen black berries. The puree has kicked the ferment up CRAZY!!! almost have to attach a blowoff tube. My OG was 1.070 and before I added the berrie mix it was 1.012. I dont mind the extra alcohol, but I took a taste test and I'm getting no berry flavor at all. I'm thinking I fermented a lil high on the temp (70-72). Started the brew on 17 February and I racked to secondary with berries on 1 March. Not incredibly worrying, just wish I was getting some berry taste, thinking of racking again on 32oz of blackberry so I wont get any more ferment. Any hints or should I just chill out?
hmm i just brewed a 2.0 version of mine with blackberries and i let it go a little long in secondary and i was disappointed with the lack of berry taste.... maybe its the blackberries? I used frozen like i did with the raspberries. oh well. I would just let it chill out for several weeks. the original recipe aged very well for me. If you still want the berry flavor I would recommend adding a flavoring not more berries. adding berries this late in the game is just asking for some rogue microbes to spoil the party. ha ha.
Keg 1: air
Keg 2: Nut Brown
On Deck: Jasmine Blonde Ale, Belgian Citrus Pale Ale
Kiggru Likes This 
Old 03-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #389
Kiggru
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thanks for the quick reply.. For flavoring are you talking about an extract? Never used the stuff before, not even sure if my LHBS has it.

The unwise man is awake all night,
and ponders everything over;
when morning comes he is weary in mind,
and all is a burden as ever. - Poetic Edda

Old 03-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #390
JonnySax
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiggru View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.. For flavoring are you talking about an extract? Never used the stuff before, not even sure if my LHBS has it.
No problem. Yep. Extract. I've never used it either, but I think it would give you what you want.
Keg 1: air
Keg 2: Nut Brown
On Deck: Jasmine Blonde Ale, Belgian Citrus Pale Ale

Quick Reply