Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > Extract - Requiem Raspberry

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #331
rideincircles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I went to Austin last weekend for ACL fest and have had my beer sitting in primary for 16 days now. It had a pretty hardcore fermentation and I used the blow off tube for it. I was gonna remove the blowoff tube valve, but the neck of the carboy was clogged with stuff. The beginning part to of primary was mostly 64-68 degrees, but has since jumped around to 70 to 74 degrees when it was uncontrolled.

Anyways, I am probably gonna throw the raspberries in campdem water overnight and add that to the carboy then rack on top of it tomorrow. My plan is to minimize the amount of campdem water so the raspberries are just under water and just add it to the carboy with the berries. Are there any issues doing this?

Should I dump the berries right in or put them in a grain bag? It will be in a 6.5 gallon carboy.

Started brewing February 2012:
All grain and partial mash brewer depending on time. Meads and apfelwein also.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #332
bellinmi88
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Love this beer. Made it a few months ago and it is awesome! The only thing I would change is a shorter hops boil and cut the roasted barley in half...as you can see it is a little dark but is actually clear when held to the light.

image-3021144966.jpg   image-3357427302.jpg  
Oatmeal Stout

Old 10-31-2012, 12:37 AM   #333
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I bottled my batch on Sunday. I hit 1.056 for OG and 1.012 for FG. Final yield was 14 - 22 oz bottles and 33 -12 oz bottles.

The raspberry is very apparent and it does seem pretty dry. I have no issues with this, but will see what everyone thinks as people drink it.

I ended up with 44 oz of frozen raspberries from Trader joes and I soaked them in a quart of campdem water and added it all to the carboy while dumping the raspberries into a grain bag in the carboy. It was a mild pain to remove, but I was ablt to get it all out of the carboy without removing the raspberries from the grain bag.

I dumped out the used raspberries onto a plate and let my friends guess what it was. They thought it was cat food or raw hamburger.

T-minus three weeks to go.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:42 AM   #334
Br3wb1e
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I just brewed this up with a buddy on Sunday (soo yesterday)! I did take into consideration what all the other people were saying about the flavoring and certain changes they would make the next time they brewed it. So here is what I changed.

6lbs light dry extract
1lbs wheat dry extract
2oz roasted barley
1 lbs caramel wheat
8oz honey malt
Kept the same hop increments as well
But my mom is awesome and country as hell so I've got fresh blueberries, black berries and raspberries instead of just straight raspberry. So we will see how this turns out. Thanks for the inspiration. I'll let y'all know how this comes out.
But it's churning like a mother!!!
I hit the magic OG of 1.060 as well

image-2022344152.jpg   image-1927145589.jpg   image-485333566.jpg  

Old 11-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #335
markus2982
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quick question that I did not see in the thread and please forgive me since I am a bit of a newbie. What is the boil volume for this? It will be our first non kit brew and kits we used were 2.5 gallon boils while I have done kits that were 5 gallon boils. Also what should the volume be once in the primary. Looking for a straight 5 gallons or looking more for a specific OG? Thanks a lot.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #336
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I ended up with a 3 gallon boil. Basically a gallon when steeping and added to two gallons of water after steeping. I would go by the target gravity on how much to add, but keep in mind this does have a strong fermentation that will need some headspace, so probably not much more than 5.5 gallons of beer in the fermenter.

My differences from the kits are standards people seem to follow. Steep grains in a gallon of water at 150-155 for 30 minutes (if you ever overheat this step up to or above 180, chunk it and start over, tannins lead to astringency in the beer) While steeping, heat 2 gallons of water to 165 and set the grains in the pot for 10 minutes, pull out the grains, dump in the steeped water and start the boil. After that heats to boiling, cut the heat and add the DME and stir it up, heat it back up to boiling and I add hops after the hot break when it stops foaming, and that is where to start the timing of the boil.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:25 AM   #337
Br3wb1e
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just racked into the secondary fermenter. Smells great without the fruit in it. Sanitized my fruit in a slight boil for 15 minutes and made my house smell like a fruit factory lol. Cannot wait to try this out. Also just got my temperature controlled fermentation refrigerator set up too ;-). As well as my grandmas 40 year old glass carboys!!! Score!!

image-2864416853.jpg   image-1384700879.jpg   image-2638358185.jpg  

Old 11-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #338
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I tried a couple bottles at two weeks over the weekend and it's pretty fantastic. It will be hard not to plow straight through these, gonna try and keep them for thanksgiving and beyond at least.

I did wind up with a lot of sediment at the bottom of these though. Kind of annoying, but not to big a deal as long as you are careful pouring them. I am guessing a filter when bottling or maybe adding the raspberries to soak in primary and then moving to secondary when that's complete. I did use a grain bag for the raspberries also. Most likely I will make this again further down the line, but am only trying to do the same type of beer once a year.

Overall, this recipe is a success.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #339
oasisbliss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What about adding the raspberries as a puree to a 5 gallon paint strainer bag to the primary bucket?
I have had good results with this in the past. Any reason for not doing this way ?

Old 11-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #340
Bobbys
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I brewed a batch of this beer (o.g. 1.053), so far its been in the primary for 10 days (s.g 1.012) racked it into a secondary on top of 42 oz raspberries for 7 days. s.g 1.010) Now I've removed the raspberries(were in a strainer bag). I plan on leaving it another 10-14 days to clear up and finish. The beer smells good, a bit bitter to taste but the color is still dark brown and not reddish like some shown here. Did I not leave the beer on the berries long enough or did using the strainer bag inhibit the process? Thanks

Quick Reply