Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > Extract - Requiem Raspberry

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012, 01:43 AM   #311
Delaney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffersonJ View Post
What is everyone's gravity readings on this? Here's mine:

OG = 1.056
SG before adding 48 oz of raspberries = 1.015
FG = 1.015

I was really surprised about that last one! I was expecting the raspberries to add some unfermentable sugars. I wish I knew just how much sugar was added with the raspberries.

I purposefully mashed a little high to leave some sweetness, as I read some reviews saying the beer turned out a little dryer than expected.

I'm getting ready to cold crash and then bottle this weekend. I was thinking of adding 6 oz of corn sugar instead of the regular 5 to add some extra effervescent mouthfeel. Does anyone have an opinion on that?
raspberries have a very low brix count, so it will hardly affect the ABV%

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #312
timmah84
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I just opened an early bottle (after a week) to taste test. No real carb yet, it was slightly carb'ed, but no foam yet.

"WHOA RASPBERRY" was my first taste. It needs to age a bit longer, and I think it'll be a grand brew after a few more weeks.

I also wanted to expand on how I sanitized my raspberries. I went with the campden tablet route. I used exactly 1 tablet crushed into some boiling / hot water (not sure on the actual temp, used a hot water kettle to heat it.) I did end up submerging the raspberries and after the 24 hour period, some were bleached. I was initially worried, as I thought it would bring some new (read: bad) flavors to the mix. I decided to RDWHAHB it and tossed it in the secondary. Turned out that the raspberries weren't affected at all.

I did warn any potential drinkers that it may contain sulfites. But from what I read, most of it should have gassed off as I put a piece of sanitized foil on the container which I sanitized the raspberries in.

Patience is a very difficult virtue.

Kegged: None

Old 06-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #313
Delaney
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmah84 View Post
I just opened an early bottle (after a week) to taste test. No real carb yet, it was slightly carb'ed, but no foam yet.

"WHOA RASPBERRY" was my first taste. It needs to age a bit longer, and I think it'll be a grand brew after a few more weeks.

I also wanted to expand on how I sanitized my raspberries. I went with the campden tablet route. I used exactly 1 tablet crushed into some boiling / hot water (not sure on the actual temp, used a hot water kettle to heat it.) I did end up submerging the raspberries and after the 24 hour period, some were bleached. I was initially worried, as I thought it would bring some new (read: bad) flavors to the mix. I decided to RDWHAHB it and tossed it in the secondary. Turned out that the raspberries weren't affected at all.

I did warn any potential drinkers that it may contain sulfites. But from what I read, most of it should have gassed off as I put a piece of sanitized foil on the container which I sanitized the raspberries in.

Patience is a very difficult virtue.

Interesting, but even if the sulfites remained in solution, one campden tablet would hardly be noticeable.

I was also surprised that the campden turns the raspberries white, I wonder why this happens?

Old 06-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #314
stefangag
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschatz

Well, technically this isn't a raspberry wheat. It's more like a Raspberry Brown.

Either way here you go:
Take all of the grains (crushed from your LHBS) and put them in a muslin sack and soak them in 170F water for about 30 minutes. Pull them out.
Bring to boil. Add Light Dry Extract and 1 oz of Northern Brewer, boil for 60 minutes.
With 25 minutes left add .5 oz of Cascade.
With 7 minutes left add .5 oz of Cascade.
In the secondary add all of the Raspberry puree (or whole raspberries).

6 lbs 8.0 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 87.25 %
12.8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 10.74 %
2.4 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 2.01 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [6.60 %] (60 min) Hops 15.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.40 %] (25 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.40 %] (7 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
40.00 oz Raspbery Fruit (Secondary 5.0 days) Misc
I followed the instructions and soaked the grains at 170•F but I don't understand what we are doing here. At 170•F aren't we above the temperature where enzymes are active? What's the purpose of this step at this temperature?

Old 06-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #315
JeffersonJ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefangag View Post
I followed the instructions and soaked the grains at 170•F but I don't understand what we are doing here. At 170•F aren't we above the temperature where enzymes are active? What's the purpose of this step at this temperature?
If you follow that recipe, you're essentially just steeping the grains instead of mashing them. You won't get much fermentable sugar from either caramel malt or roasted barley no matter what temperature your "mash" is at. So it doesn't make a huge difference whether it's 170°F or 155°F.

EDIT: To add more detail, that step just extracts the color and flavor from the grains instead of fermentables.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #316
Drumking
Recipes 

I want to try this recipe, but I'm going to use 1.5 lbs of wheat in place of some of the light dry and also less raspberries, like 30 oz instead. I was also thinking of adding a couple of vanilla beans, maybe in the secondary with the raspberries. I'm still a new brewer, so does that sound like it would turn out good?

Old 07-01-2012, 03:06 AM   #317
JeffersonJ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As if this recipe needed any more verification than 32 pages of posts...

After 3 weeks in the bottle it is excellent. I used 48 oz of frozen raspberries and they are very present but not overpowering (after pasteurizing them at about 180°F for 10 minutes). After telling my wife for a couple months that I was finally brewing her a raspberry beer, she was pretty surprised and disappointed when I poured an almost opaque beer for her! She generally avoids anything darker than a copper color (but to her credit, can pick some great IPAs). I think she was generally looking for more of a raspberry wheat, but she really enjoys this too! Marriage is all about compromise right? Plus, appeasing her with this batch gave me the opportunity to brew a Black IPA and a Porter!

Old 07-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #318
stefangag
Recipes 

I just transferred into my secondary fermenter with the raspberries. The beer is great without the raspberries, can't wait to see what it's like with the Raspberries. I made a slight modification to the hop profile. I used 1 ounce of northern brewer at 10% alpha acid rather than 6.6% and I added 2 ounces of cascade. An an ounce at 25 minutes left and the second ounce at 7 min of boil left.

Drank the first 9 liters during a BBQ this week and the beer was great. It had spent a week in a keg carbonating and I added a couple of shots of co2 to get the right carbonation. The beer has a very present raspberry aroma, and a nice string bitter backbone. Mid sip you really taste the sourness usually associated with raspberries

Old 07-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #319
bellinmi88
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ke View Post
I brewed the all grain version in July, bottled in August, and still enjoying it.
Which All Grain Version?
Oatmeal Stout

Old 07-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #320
ScreaminReelBrew
Recipes 

Turned out fantastic! Been bottled for about a month and each one cracked seems to be better than the last - I do agree with an earlier post too about incorporating some of the yeasties back into your glass.....seems to mellow it out even further. Thanks for all the tips!

Quick Reply