Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > Extract - Requiem Raspberry

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #301
nittanybevo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Raspberries in primary?

Life has recently gotten in the way of my pipeline. I now have 2 buckets fermenting - a centennial and a Requiem Raspberry. My Centennial will be kegged this week. I'm scheduled to put the raspberries in on Thursday of this week, which is 7 days after brewing. So, here's my dilemmas.

1. I'm probably 2 weeks away from having a free keg. Should I leave it in a primary (without raspberries) for a few extra days?
2. Can I put my raspberries directly into the fermenter rather than racking onto a secondary?
3. Being that it looks like I'm going to have some extra time now, should I let it sit longer with or without the fruit?

I had a minor (I hope) problem when I brewed - I ran out of propane and my boil was about 10 minutes shorter than it should have been. I'm hoping that true to form, this beer hides the mistakes. I also had my first blowout with this beer...which was an interesting find in the middle of the night. (On the good side, my basement now has a wonderful beer smell )

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 12:35 AM   #302
harpsbight
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

brewed this up today. used .5 oz of NB @9.4% per beersmith. Excited about this batch as it is my 1st no-kit brew. Baby steps right? I am interested to know the mathematical formula for adjusting the hops amount per %AA change if someone can put it down simple. i am a dork when it comes to math. As is, it is easy enough to plug in #'s to software, but i am still curious.
Thanks for the help!

Old 05-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #303
Chefjp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just tasted it after 2 weeks in secondary and its great, i think it's a bit dry, my wife likes sweet fruit beers, how coul I make it sweeter???

Primary: Stone IPA
Secondary: Hefeweizen
Bottled: SNPA clone, Framboise ale

Old 05-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #304
JonnySax
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanybevo View Post
Life has recently gotten in the way of my pipeline. I now have 2 buckets fermenting - a centennial and a Requiem Raspberry. My Centennial will be kegged this week. I'm scheduled to put the raspberries in on Thursday of this week, which is 7 days after brewing. So, here's my dilemmas.

1. I'm probably 2 weeks away from having a free keg. Should I leave it in a primary (without raspberries) for a few extra days?
2. Can I put my raspberries directly into the fermenter rather than racking onto a secondary?
3. Being that it looks like I'm going to have some extra time now, should I let it sit longer with or without the fruit?

I had a minor (I hope) problem when I brewed - I ran out of propane and my boil was about 10 minutes shorter than it should have been. I'm hoping that true to form, this beer hides the mistakes. I also had my first blowout with this beer...which was an interesting find in the middle of the night. (On the good side, my basement malty now has a wonderful beer smell )
I would definitely try to do a secondary asap... it will eliminate trub and you will ensure your yeast are still active. once in secondary it can sit for however long you need to clear out a keg. those problems shouldn't bother anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefjp View Post
I just tasted it after 2 weeks in secondary and its great, i think it's a bit dry, my wife likes sweet fruit beers, how coul I make it sweeter???
try adding a half pound of honey malt. it will add a sweet honey flavor.
Keg 1: air
Keg 2: Nut Brown
On Deck: Jasmine Blonde Ale, Belgian Citrus Pale Ale

Old 05-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #305
Chefjp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnySax View Post
I would definitely try to do a secondary asap... it will eliminate trub and you will ensure your yeast are still active. once in secondary it can sit for however long you need to clear out a keg. those problems shouldn't bother anything.

try adding a half pound of honey malt. it will add a sweet honey flavor.
I bottled today, i added 1.25 cup of xylitol and 1.25 cup of granulated spendla, it tastes great!!!!

Primary: Stone IPA
Secondary: Hefeweizen
Bottled: SNPA clone, Framboise ale

Old 05-19-2012, 12:33 AM   #306
ScreaminReelBrew
Recipes 

Finally racking tonight after way too long in the primary (darn work) - 20 days today. I 'washed' the berry mix in 151 and drained the best I could....It's on it's way into the carboy now and so far it smells like 151-beer. Really hoping this batch isn't going to be compost tea... :-0

Old 05-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #307
aufevermike
Recipes 

I thought mine was a bit bitter and it is due to still being green. However, I once bought a 6er of Shocktop raspberry wheat and the first inital drink was, "why did i buy this".... it was terrible. till I read the "instructions", a beer with instruction on how to drink it.... pour into glass till a 1/4 is left in bottle, then swirl and pur rest into glass. At that point I did have a glass so i just tipped and swirled, then AHHHH, that was a good beer. So i tried it with mine and wallah, it tasted great too. gotta mix up the yeasties, I guess.

"Where would we be without the ability to let our minds wander? And where would we go if our emotions were submerged down under our souls? Their master control plan will fail, as the young minds prevail, in pure genetic wisdom. Give me the POWER"

Old 05-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #308
timmah84
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Excited to drink this brew. I have it sitting in the secondary with fresh raspberries that I sterilized with a crushed campden tablet and water. Some of the raspberries "bleached" from the 24 hour soak--though this seems OK according to what I have read thus far.

Had an initial OG of 1.060, and took another reading at the secondary which was 1.012, so it should be back on track.

Also couldn't get the Northern Brewer hops, so used Nugget instead.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #309
JeffersonJ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What is everyone's gravity readings on this? Here's mine:

OG = 1.056
SG before adding 48 oz of raspberries = 1.015
FG = 1.015

I was really surprised about that last one! I was expecting the raspberries to add some unfermentable sugars. I wish I knew just how much sugar was added with the raspberries.

I purposefully mashed a little high to leave some sweetness, as I read some reviews saying the beer turned out a little dryer than expected.

I'm getting ready to cold crash and then bottle this weekend. I was thinking of adding 6 oz of corn sugar instead of the regular 5 to add some extra effervescent mouthfeel. Does anyone have an opinion on that?

Old 06-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #310
Delaney
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I am going to try an AG version of this using dates alongside the raspberry.
I also want to use Wyeast 3278 Belgian Lambic Blend...

I'm also considering rendering this an imperial fruit beer, boosting the ABV to 8 or 9 percent. Any thoughts on this?

Quick Reply