Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > Extract - Requiem Raspberry

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #181
Delaney
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I was thinking of doing 10 days in secondary with berries, and to rack for another 4 days to get rid of sediment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #182
craig_reed
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaney View Post
I was thinking of doing 10 days in secondary with berries, and to rack for another 4 days to get rid of sediment.
Going to have it in a 3rd fermenter then? Interesting... I think it is just too much cleaning and sanitizing for me lol

Too lazy to update all of my beers all of the time!

Follow me @BestCraftBeer on Twitter and www.facebook.com/bestcraftbeer

Old 08-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #183
hagbardceline
Recipes 

I'm going to rack onto the raspberries tonight. I have 40 oz of frozen berries. I was thinking of racking onto the frozen berries so any yeast/bac won't be able to grow on the berries before the alcohol and brewers yeast get them.

Is this a bad idea? Should I thaw first?

Also there will likely be star San foam in the carboy that the berries will hit. Any issue with that?

Old 08-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #184
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

how is everyone soaking in campdem tablets? Im a assuming in some water with crushed pills but how many tablets per lb?

Old 08-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #185
craig_reed
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Berries have turned white, and almost into a mush like state -

Still has another 9 days to sit in the secondary before I rack to bottles.

Too lazy to update all of my beers all of the time!

Follow me @BestCraftBeer on Twitter and www.facebook.com/bestcraftbeer

Old 08-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #186
Delaney
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagbardceline View Post
I'm going to rack onto the raspberries tonight. I have 40 oz of frozen berries. I was thinking of racking onto the frozen berries so any yeast/bac won't be able to grow on the berries before the alcohol and brewers yeast get them.

Also there will likely be star San foam in the carboy that the berries will hit. Any issue with that?
This will not get rid of wild yeast/bacteria...it might slow them down a bit at best.
There are two options:
1-steep berries in 170F water to kill off yeast/bacteria. This will result in a cloudy beer due to pectin. Pectic enzyme can be used to counter this problem, but option 2 is preferable.

2-Thaw berries. Crush 1 campden tablet/3-4 lbs of berries, and mix with 1/4 cup of boiling water. Pour over the berries (which should be in a sanitized container), swirl it around, and let this soak for 24 hours. Your berries will be sterilized at this point and can be added to the wort.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:06 AM   #187
GHC007
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaney View Post
This will not get rid of wild yeast/bacteria...it might slow them down a bit at best.
There are two options:
1-steep berries in 170F water to kill off yeast/bacteria. This will result in a cloudy beer due to pectin. Pectic enzyme can be used to counter this problem, but option 2 is preferable.

2-Thaw berries. Crush 1 campden tablet/3-4 lbs of berries, and mix with 1/4 cup of boiling water. Pour over the berries (which should be in a sanitized container), swirl it around, and let this soak for 24 hours. Your berries will be sterilized at this point and can be added to the wort.
Not disagreeing with you, just giving my two cents...Ive brewed this recipe twice (and 3 other raspberry beers) and never had a problem throwing frozen organic raspberries directly into secondary.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:51 AM   #188
tribble222
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagbardceline View Post

I thawed mine first before I put them in just because they were in a giant chunk and I couldn't fit it through the carboy mouth. Next time I'll probably use a plastic bucket and drop the whole frozen chunk in there to save the mess.

Also: don't fear the foam.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #189
Delaney
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHC007 View Post
Not disagreeing with you, just giving my two cents...Ive brewed this recipe twice (and 3 other raspberry beers) and never had a problem throwing frozen organic raspberries directly into secondary.
I'm basing my advice mostly upon that which I recieved here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/does-freezing-fruit-sterilize-259085/

Obviously a few people had problems with bacteria or wild yeast.

Because I picked my raspberries fresh, and because there were small amounts of insects/straw/other debris, I decided the risk of contamination was high. Considering the many hours of picking, I decided to soak in campden and not be one of those people.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #190
hagbardceline
Recipes 

Well, i decided to risk it. On Brew Strong Jamil says the alcohol content should be enough to over power the bac and yeast. Although proof in this tread shows that is not always the case, so we'll see what happens.

I was two points off on the FG i wanted which I'm happy enough with. Once the beer was racked on top of the berries there was a ton of activity in the airlock, mostly gases coming out I'm guessing.

So we'll see if I get burned by not sanitizing the berries. BTW what a pain in the ass getting those into the fermentor!

The taste of the beer before the berries, only 12 days after I pitched tasted amazing! I may make this again as a 14 day. One of the best brews I have tasted in a long while. It ended up pretty hoppy. The hops right now are a little stronger than normal:

1 oz Northern Brewer @ 9.4
1 oz Cascade @ 6.1 (at 25 and 7 min)

gave me an IBU of 55! which actually tastes really nice with this dark, malty beer.

Quick Reply