Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > All-Grain - Purple Headed Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
Bisco_Ben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 50

I brewed this beer 6 weeks ago, except I used s-04 for the yeast and williamette for the hops. I transferred to the keg after 4 weeks. It is just starting to carb up and smooth out. The blueberry is definitely faint. I may squish them up a bit more next time. One question for the OP, how long does this beer take to reach its prime? After 4 weeks primary and 2 weeks cold conditioning in the keg, i still feel like it could use another week or two, personally.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #12
th3NvS
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calitexcomin View Post
The base of this beer is a porter, which is the dominant character. The blueberry is only an accent, which could be turned up or down depending on the desired flavor. As written, the blueberry was a complimentary flavor in the background. It was entered in the fruit beer category because once fruit's added, that's where it goes (unless it's part of the style like framboise or kriek). When using real blueberries it allows the true "blueberry" flavor to come through rather than sweetening it with an artificial. In the end, I thought it tasted like a chocolaty/roasty/nutty beer with blueberry hints; it wasn't overly heavy yet filling. Another option is to make the base recipe and try a few smaller secondary fermentation batches with differing amounts of blueberry and different types of blueberry to find what you like. Good luck and have fun experimenting.
Was looking specific for a blueberry beer without to much fruit flavor. Love porters can't wait to try this recipe may be my next brew

Th3NvS
Follow on Twitter - @Th3NvS
Check Me Out on Youtube - COMING SOON!
and friend me on Untappd - Chugs Beer

Old 03-05-2013, 01:46 AM   #13
Calitexcomin
Recipes 

Good luck. Hope it works well for you.

The Goat
Prickly Goat Brewery

Old 03-05-2013, 03:32 AM   #14
fizgig
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Designing Great Beers recommended 2lbs per gallon for blueberries, I guess he wasn't kidding. Better hints of blueberry than that nasty Wild Blue stuff, reminded me of Boone's Farm or Mad Dog, someone brought it in to work. First thing I noticed, no brewery name, it's InBev.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:33 PM   #15
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I know this thread is old, but for the guys using actual berries: make sure they have been frozen.

The freezing process breaks the cell walls and allows the release of more flavor. I use 6 lbs of fresh blueberries in my 5gal porter. I freeze the berries, then let them thaw in a ziplock. I smash them up as they are nearly thawed and add to 2ndary. Rack on top. Works every time.

. SN Tumbler Clone
. Nierra Sevada
Secondary:
Primary:
. SN Tumbler Clone 10g
. Sycamore Oatmeal Porter 10g
. Nierra Sevada 10g
On Deck:
Kegged:

Being a perfectionist does not make one perfect.

Quick Reply