Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > Extract - Peach Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #21
AlphaPyro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan42 View Post
Quick question about this brew before I get going...

How sweet is it? Is it a balanced beer? Or is it more on the sweet side? What was your SG? Im just trying to get a good balance of sweets and bitters. Your SG reading would be helpful to estimate the amount of HBU's I would need for my taste. Brewtoad.com has the SG at about 1.066, that sound about right?

It ferments relatively dry for me around 1.014-1.016 - it's balanced. I apologize for not keeping up on this post. With a few years going by I'd neglected to stay up on this as I had originally intended. SG really hasn't been my concern so long as I end up with at least 5.5 gal in primary from a full boil and 5 gal yield in the keg but it should land around 1.066-1.070... final gravity has been consistent for me, and it's not overly sweet. It's a nice wheat beer with a hint of peaches. I just brewed a new batch of this a few weeks ago - recipe is pretty consistent in delivering the same results.

Quote:
Gonna give this brew a go next weekend, to be done before the 4th.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2013, 07:55 AM   #22
AlphaPyro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBock View Post
First of all, hello to everyone. I've been using this site for about a year now but this is my first post. Just wanted to throw in that I decided to make this recipe with a slight change. Just wanted to throw it out there to add to a sea of ideas. Thanks for the inspiration.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
6 lbs Wheat DME
4 oz. Belgian Munich Malt
1 lbs Honey (60 min boil)

1.5 oz. U.S. Saaz @ 45 minutes
0.5 oz. U.S. Goldings @ 5 minutes

1 vile WLP380 Hefe IV Ale Yeast (starter: 2 pints water, 1 cup DME, 30 min boil)
Note: I'll be fermenting at the 62-64F range to achieve a clove/ citrus flavor and attempt to avoid banana as much as possible.

3 lbs peaches at secondary.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
BrewMaster claims this will produce:

OG: 1.061
FG: 1.015
ABV: 6.03%
IBU: 25.27
SRM: 7.4

I'm only working on the starter so far so let me know if I have any fatal flaws. Thanks guys, and thanks for posting the original recipe!
How did this turn out?

Old 06-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #23
Ryush806
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Forgive me if I just missed this earlier...

Do you do a full boil or partial boil for this recipe? If partial boil, is it 3 gallons?

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin (and I don't care if this quote has been largely discredited/misquoted...I like it!)

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #24
AlphaPyro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryush806 View Post
Forgive me if I just missed this earlier...

Do you do a full boil or partial boil for this recipe? If partial boil, is it 3 gallons?
I now do a full boil. When I started this recipe years ago it was a partial boil of 3 gallons.

Sorry for the confusion. I wish I could edit the recipe but for some reason I'm unable to now.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:27 AM   #25
Dylan42
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I waited a week and then racked on to the peach puree OG was about 1.060, the secondary gravity reading was 1.022 (probably could have waited a few more days in the primary).

Tasting notes

Before primary fermentation the beer had a sweet honey taste up front w/ a strong bitter hop in the after taste and on the back of the tongue.

Before secondary fermentation there is a very smooth taste, reminds me almost of a hefe or blue moon type beer. Not very hoppy w/ a honey after taste.

Question: Did you guys shake it up in the secondary at all to mix the puree in a little better or just let the beer sit on top of the puree? Ill probably keep it in the secondary about 10 days.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:33 AM   #26
AlphaPyro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I waited a week and then racked on to the peach puree OG was about 1.060, the secondary gravity reading was 1.022 (probably could have waited a few more days in the primary).

Tasting notes

Before primary fermentation the beer had a sweet honey taste up front w/ a strong bitter hop in the after taste and on the back of the tongue.

Before secondary fermentation there is a very smooth taste, reminds me almost of a hefe or blue moon type beer. Not very hoppy w/ a honey after taste.

Question: Did you guys shake it up in the secondary at all to mix the puree in a little better or just let the beer sit on top of the puree? Ill probably keep it in the secondary about 10 days.

I added the puree to the bottom and racked on top, then turned the fermenter quickly to stir it up into solution... if you do like me and use a CO2 charger to put a bed of CO2 on top before corking the fermenter you can do this without fear of oxidizing and really stir it up good.

Can't wait to hear what you think!

Old 06-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #27
Dylan42
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sweet I just let it be, I racked on top of the peach puree and let it do its thing. I followed your recipe pretty much to the "T", the only thing I did different was add 1/2 oz. of zythos and cascades in at the las 5-10 min. Smells tasty through the airlock! I will definitely give some feedback in a couple of weeks!

Old 06-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #28
Dylan42
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Racked it in to the keg last night with a final gravity of 1.010 tasted good but I would have actually liked a little more peach taste we will see how it is carbonated. I think next time Ill keep it in the fermenter a little longer. Ill post pics when its carbed.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:38 AM   #29
AlphaPyro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Racked it in to the keg last night with a final gravity of 1.010 tasted good but I would have actually liked a little more peach taste we will see how it is carbonated. I think next time Ill keep it in the fermenter a little longer. Ill post pics when its carbed.

If you let the sugars ferment too low it will pull a lot of the sweetness away for the peach flavor.

To get away from the science part and more to the gut part, the minute the krausen drops after adding peaches, I rack to keg. I really wish I could update the original recipe notes. I generally end up anywhere between 1.014 or 1.016. Just be mindful you don't let the yeast ferment out all of the fructose sugars from the fruit or you're going to lose the fruit flavor punch for sure. Here's hoping the bubbles give you a bit more edge!

Old 06-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #30
Dylan42
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah I intended to transfer to a keg earlier than I did but i was scrambling to get another keg to do so. Hence the complete fermentation at 1.010. Hoping its still a good beer.

Brew Daze Brewing
Tapped-Low efficiency Dead Ringer :(
Secondary Dry Hopping- Chinook Pale
Primary-Pliny the Toddler
On Deck- Something of a belgian style

Quick Reply