Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > Extract - Peach Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2008, 07:57 PM   #1
AlphaPyro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Extract - Peach Wheat - Gold Medal Fruit Beer, 26th Annual KC Biermeisters Competition

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Wyeast 1010 American Wheat
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.032
Final Gravity: ?
IBU: ?
Boiling Time (Minutes): 50
Color: yellow to gold
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5 @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 30 @ 68
Tasting Notes: Unsure, but prior to fermentation tastest like wheaty honey water

Primary: 5 days @ 65
Secondary: At least 7 days @ 65
When racking from secondary to keg allow some (LITTLE) sediment to transfer. After bottling, rouse yeast to bring out best flavor when pouring.

So I wanted a Peach wheat type beer because I can't help but think its tastey, but I didn't want a weak wheat beer. So more fermentables are required and why not let fly a little honey to the wheat beer recipe and then rack on top of peach puree for the homerun? ... right?

This beer took 1st place for fruit beer at the 26th annual KC Biermeisters competition.

Ingrediants:
Alexander's Wheat extract 7lbs
Honey (Not sure the style, gift from Mom) 2lbs
1 can (3lbs) Oregon Peach Puree

HOPS: 1.5 oz tettnanger boiling (3.4 AAU) for 45 & .5 oz Kent Goldings aroma (~5AAU) for the last 5 mins

Misc:
1/2 tsp of Irish Moss for last 20 minutes of boil.

Boil your water, pour in extracts (including honey, and yes I know it doesn't add honey flavor when you boil it) and follow hops schedule. My OG turned out low because my dumb self forgot to stir up the mix before drawing the sample, capping with the airlock, and moving it downstairs only to come back and .. "DOH!" but according to promash its OG should be about 1.069. I plan to rack into secondary after day 5 and add the peach puree and let sit for a few weeks before racking to a keg.

EDIT:
After 10 days I racked to secondary with a gravity of 1.010 on top of the peach puree. The sample I drew tasted just fine, but I did notice the secondary rack on top of the puree started another 'bout of fermentation so heads up!

Can't wait for this to come out of secondary to the keg so I can sample into the final step!

EDIT: Final Results and Tasting

After 7 days when the second fermentation subsided I racked off of the puree and into the keg. I force carbed by doing 12 PSI and shaking the keg while counting to 100. Upped the pressure to 30 PSI, gave the keg a quick few shakes and then let sit for 2 days before dialing the pressure back down to 12 PSI for serving.

This beer turned out very well rounded and balanced. The Peach flavor came out very well, and the added sugars from the honey really punched in the ABV. My only complaint has been that I didn't bring enough and to make more.

Last edited by AlphaPyro; 03-01-2009 at 11:42 PM.
BigStupidFingers Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2008, 02:29 AM   #2
PWalk
Recipes 

I've currently got a beer similar to this that I just put into the secondary along with 3lbs of the Oregon peach puree and noticed some fermentation starting up again. So far so good though as it hasn't really gotten that large. Figure I'll keep it in there a week and then bottle it topping it off with 2 oz. of extract in the bucket just to give it that extra bump of flavor. Let me know how yours goes.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:07 AM   #3
CADragon
Recipes 

Some recipes I've seen have 6 lbs. of the puree, would that be too much? According to Mosher in Radical Brew, peaches don't come through fermentation that well.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
Crayfish
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

We used 15 lbs frozen peaches for a 5 gallon batch. I know, this is a ton. Needless to say, the peach taste is very prevalent. Its very tasty.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
AlphaPyro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADragon View Post
Some recipes I've seen have 6 lbs. of the puree, would that be too much? According to Mosher in Radical Brew, peaches don't come through fermentation that well.
3lbs leaves it just enough that you don't forget you're drinking a beer, and I use it in SECONDARY, not primary.

This recipe started with the idea that I want a great wheat beer first and didn't want a slap in the face peach flavor. This is not meant to be a full on peach chick beer. It's just subtle enough to keep you interested sip after sip.

Wins praises from the wife as well as my hardcore beer buddies.

Last edited by AlphaPyro; 06-15-2009 at 11:01 PM.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
gravity man
Recipes 

Fermentation started very slow, about five days after pitch. then has been going for many days. had to add a 1 1/2 pound of peaches because they where going bad. should I add 3more pounds of peaches after fermentation stops? Was planning to bottle this beer. what do you think.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:27 AM   #7
gravity man
Recipes 

Default I like it

kegged this beer and it turned out great , its very high in alc. you can feel it after one glass. I think i will brew again and drop down to 6lbs of wheat LME. I used orange blossom honey. Mybe I should drop 1lb of honey? any thoughts?

Old 10-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #8
AlphaPyro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, it has lots of alcohol

I would say your best bet to drop the alcohol and keep the full body flavor is just lose the honey altogether. After churning out a few batches of this stuff I've found that losing the honey doesn't impact much but the alcohol.

Glad you are enjoying it! Sorry it took me a few days/months to get back to this thread.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #9
AlphaPyro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravity man View Post
Fermentation started very slow, about five days after pitch. then has been going for many days. had to add a 1 1/2 pound of peaches because they where going bad. should I add 3more pounds of peaches after fermentation stops? Was planning to bottle this beer. what do you think.

I can see this is an afterthough now but just to be thorough you should make sure your yeast is nice and healthy before pitching into this high gravity beer. A starter is really a good idea but ultimately you can get away with a smack pack, just make sure your temps are solid and aerate the hell out of the wort. I tilt the carboy (better bottle) and just shake the thing in a circular motion to stir it up before pitching.

3lbs of peaches is generally all that's required, I've added 2 cans and it did bring out more flavor, but it felt like too much. I want a beer first, fruit second.

BTW I've found this recipe kicks BUTT without adding any peaches

Old 10-20-2009, 04:56 AM   #10
gravity man
Recipes 

I am thinking about trying it with apricots, if I can find them. have you ever tryed a diffrent fruit in it?

Quick Reply