Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > Extract - Kansas Peach Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
newbrewjay
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Recipes 

Want to try this!!! Did you have better luck with the canned peach or extract?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #12
jaycount
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think the peach extract worked better. Start small on the extract in the bottling bucket/keg and add more in if necessary

Old 02-26-2012, 04:17 AM   #13
Zalf
Recipes 

Have a peach wheat in the bottles now. A week to go before the first trial. I added 4oz of xtract at bottling. Took a swallow of the last bit of the bottling bucket and it was a surprisingly nice peach taste. If that taste carries through then the extract will gain a lot of points in my eyes as I have stayed away from it in the past in favor of frozen "fresh" fruit in the secondary.

I already had it in my mind to get some peaches to slice wafer thin and freeze to have ready as a garnish/taste bud fooler if it came out too syrupy or medicine like. Might not need it, but might do it anyway!

Old 03-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #14
Zalf
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalf View Post
Have a peach wheat in the bottles now. A week to go before the first trial. I added 4oz of xtract at bottling. Took a swallow of the last bit of the bottling bucket and it was a surprisingly nice peach taste. If that taste carries through then the extract will gain a lot of points in my eyes as I have stayed away from it in the past in favor of frozen "fresh" fruit in the secondary.

I already had it in my mind to get some peaches to slice wafer thin and freeze to have ready as a garnish/taste bud fooler if it came out too syrupy or medicine like. Might not need it, but might do it anyway!
Man, the peach has completely disappeared. I have knowingly rushed this beer from the start to have some homebrew to drink. I just expected 4oz to be too much extract for a young beer if anything. At bottling the peach flavor was there and a week later it is gone. Already a decent amount of carbonation and the priming sugar went in with the extract so I don't think it is a case of the extract not getting mixed in well enough.

A really good tasting beer even though it is rushed just no peach when I expected the opposite at this point.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #15
jaycount
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Interesting. I bottled a few of mine and had one the other day, it was still very peachy. I actually cracked a bottle of the original batch too (I like to keep them and age them) and it seems like the peach in that first batch really came through nicely, it just had a bit of a sour off flavor.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:03 AM   #16
Zalf
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycount View Post
Interesting. I bottled a few of mine and had one the other day, it was still very peachy. I actually cracked a bottle of the original batch too (I like to keep them and age them) and it seems like the peach in that first batch really came through nicely, it just had a bit of a sour off flavor.
I don't know if the peach and the greenness of the beer are cancelling each other out or what. Rushing it like I did I expected a lot of young flavors and a peach extract flavor that needed time to mellow. Instead I have a nice wheat beer that tastes better than it should at this stage and zero peach in taste or aroma.

I keep expecting to open a bottle and find that all 4ozs of flavoring ended up in that one bottle. I have even started tasting the debris in the bottles to see if maybe the flavoring attached to some of the solids but no peach there either.

The world may never know. I almost bumped my planned strawberry brew for a frozen peach brew but it will wait for the next batch.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #17
Zalf
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalf View Post
I don't know if the peach and the greenness of the beer are cancelling each other out or what. Rushing it like I did I expected a lot of young flavors and a peach extract flavor that needed time to mellow. Instead I have a nice wheat beer that tastes better than it should at this stage and zero peach in taste or aroma.

I keep expecting to open a bottle and find that all 4ozs of flavoring ended up in that one bottle. I have even started tasting the debris in the bottles to see if maybe the flavoring attached to some of the solids but no peach there either.

The world may never know. I almost bumped my planned strawberry brew for a frozen peach brew but it will wait for the next batch.
Extract batch has been finished off with the peach flavor never showing back up.

Blonde over 6lbs of sure fine frozen peaches has hit the 1 week in bottle point. First one had me wondering if my taste buds just couldn't taste peaches any more. Second one had a great peach taste. Went ahead and threw a six pack in the fridge for the weekend. Even though it is still early on the peach my taste buds are in heaven going back and forth between homebrew strawberry blonde and homebrew peach blonde.

Currently the "fresh" peaches around here have zero flavor. I can't wait for the local peach orchards to really come into season to make a batch with real peaches.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #18
Kansasman2000
Recipes 

Dude I lived in Garden City, Kansas for eleven years. They grow peaches all over Kansas. I used to make a run every year to Plains Kansas and pick peaches, pears and apples. Its there you just have to drive a bit. Happy brewing, : )

Old 11-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #19
2Blokes
Recipes 

I am planning a peach wheat can you tell me if you skin fresh peaches or just freeze and add with skin on?

Quick Reply