Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Ginger Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Damage

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WY1056/WLP001
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
This is a huge hit with everyone who\'s tried it!
6 lbs Briess wheat DME
2 oz shredded ginger root @ 60 min
2 oz shredded ginger root @ 20 min
2 oz shredded ginger root @ 5 min
.25 oz Cascade (aa7.4) 60 min
.25 oz Cascade (aa7.4) 30 min

Ferment with Wyeast 1056 or White Labs 001.

"Dryhop" with 2 oz ginger root shredded and soaked overnight in a couple ounces of vodka for 1 week. (add the soaking vodka to the beer too)

Carbonate to 3.8 volumes (7.5 oz dextrose for 5 gal).

lol I get it..... is the ginger strong or does any other flavors come through? Is is balanced etc..I am not fmiliar with a ginger wheat.... =) any other information would be appreciated.

It's a sort of an interpretation of ginger ale soda as a beer. The ginger flavor is dominant and up front, with just a tiny bit of heat. There's just enough hop bittering to not quite balance the sweetness of the malt. The combination of 65/35 wheat extract and American (Chico strain) yeast give a transparent background for the ginger. Although the cascade is way in the background, it's citrus character helps maintain a necessary brightness. The high level of carbonation helps with this too.

This beer is eminently quaffable.

I think you misunderstand. I don't want to talk about it because of the potential for embarrassment. Not because it's some kind of secret. If it turns out to be beer, then I might talk about it, but I won't know for a week or so.

It's a sort of an interpretation of ginger ale soda as a beer. The ginger flavor is dominant and up front, with just a tiny bit of heat. There's just enough hop bittering to not quite balance the sweetness of the malt. The combination of 65/35 wheat extract and American (Chico strain) yeast give a transparent background for the ginger. Although the cascade is way in the background, it's citrus character helps maintain a necessary brightness. The high level of carbonation helps with this too.

This beer is eminently quaffable.

This is perfect! Thank you very much and it seems to be delicious! :ban:

I am curious about this experimental beer as well??......... :confused:

I hope you like it!

The first time I made it the "dryhoped" ginger portion was not soaked in vodka. That batch had the big ginger flavor but no heat (lingering sharp-hot spiciness). This latest batch I did the vodka soak and got just a little heat - about the same as a ginger ale soda. I'll have to do a few more batches (or get some feedback from you guys :) ) to figure out how to get more or less heat. Is it the time in the vodka? The amount of ginger? The amount of vodka? All of the above (most likely)?

Next time I make it, which may be half a year away, I'll try to increase the heat.

So I'm currently brewing this, more or less. I have the 6 lbs of DME but had it split as 1LB for 60 min and the other 5 as a late extract addition. I then had a 9g 60 min cascade addition and a 7g 30 min cascade addition (to make the IBUs come out right due to the extract split). Used the same ginger schedule as you did. Fermented around 63-65 for the first week or so and then let it rise to 68.

Put in the "dry hop" today, used 4oz of ginger. While doing that, took a gravity/tasting sample. Gravity is at 1.014. It had a mild ginger aroma, some slightly gingery sweetness on the front and then a biscuity/wheaty flavor in the back. Interesting, but it's still young (2 weeks in primary) and uncarbonated. It certainly seemed like it would be a good brew with another week or so on it and bubbles.

I'm curious to see how much of the "oomph" comes from the dry "hop" ginger addition. I was hoping for something really In Your Face but I'm betting al ot of that is still to come :)

So I'm currently brewing this, more or less. I have the 6 lbs of DME but had it split as 1LB for 60 min and the other 5 as a late extract addition. I then had a 9g 60 min cascade addition and a 7g 30 min cascade addition (to make the IBUs come out right due to the extract split). Used the same ginger schedule as you did. Fermented around 63-65 for the first week or so and then let it rise to 68.

Put in the "dry hop" today, used 4oz of ginger. While doing that, took a gravity/tasting sample. Gravity is at 1.014. It had a mild ginger aroma, some slightly gingery sweetness on the front and then a biscuity/wheaty flavor in the back. Interesting, but it's still young (2 weeks in primary) and uncarbonated. It certainly seemed like it would be a good brew with another week or so on it and bubbles.

I'm curious to see how much of the "oomph" comes from the dry "hop" ginger addition. I was hoping for something really In Your Face but I'm betting al ot of that is still to come :)

Any good?????

Curious if anyone has tried an all grain of this. Extract is so expensive.

Newb here with a question... i recently brewed the White House honey ale and SWMBO is a ginger fanatic! I added 4 oz fresh grated ginger in the last 10 of the boil. Bottled on 11/28. Took a taste to check carb(very early) and it seemed very peppery!! It definately hadnt aged long enough, but any thoughts on if i over did it with the ginger??

Does this taste more a beer, or ginger ale? I'm looking for more of a ginger ale recipe than an ale.

I made this recipe last year, unfortunately I was still too eager and drank most of the 5 gallons within 3 weeks of bottling. I was so unimpressed but I found a couple of bottles that escaped my initial drinking, they were so sweet, but not like ginger ale, it definitely tastes like beer but it's so sweet. In fact, I'm making it again.

Latest posts

Back