US-05 Yeast Starter:
None Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter:
None Batch Size (Gallons):
5 Original Gravity:
1.058 Final Gravity:
1.014 Boiling Time (Minutes):
Copper Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):
5 days @ 72 Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):
18 days @ 72 Tasting Notes:
Tart, distinctly from red currants; High ABV, but well hidden; a tad dry
2lbs Caramel 80L
3lbs Muntons Plain Light DME
3lb Muntons Wheat DME (55% wheat)
1oz Centennial Leaf (60 mins)
0.5 oz Warrior Leaf (30 mins)
0.5 oz Warrior Leaf (5 mins)
0.5 oz Fuggles Leaf (dry hop/secondary)
5lbs Freshly picked red currants from the garden. Rack onto secondary.
Primary: 5 days at 72 F
Secondary: 18 days at 72 F
Conditioned in keg for 4 weeks before drinking. Sampling earlier revealed extremely sour notes, but it mellowed out quite nicely later.
OG: 1.058 (before red currants were added)
I put the calculations into beer calculus to see what the abv would turn out to be after the addition of red currants, it puts the ABV to 8.5%.
My parents have had red currants growing in our yard for years, and I remember always taking a bunch and eating them til I ate too much and felt sick. I thought it would be a cool idea brewing with them before I moved out for good, especially because I've never seen any recipes using them before.
It took me about 1.5-2 hours to pick 5 lbs, and then actually take them off the little stems, but it was worth it. Just in case anyone was curious, I got all 5 lbs from one bush (keep in mind, it's been around for several years, hence the high yield).
I dry hopped with the Fuggles because I had some leftover from another brew. I figured it really couldn't hurt, and I think it helped out nicely. The tartness from the currants REALLY shows, and I think the dry-hopping might have helped hide a little bit of them.
Close Up of the yummy berries
All the Red Currants I Used
Before they were drowned in beer
After yeasties ate their faces out. Red currants not so red anymore, the bags were stained a bit.
The Final Product