Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > Extract - Coconut Porter 1st Place in 2nd Round 2011 HBT Comp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 11:35 PM   #51
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 423 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 57

My last batch did pretty well in a competition I entered into a few months ago. Basically the same scores it has gotten when I entered previous batches...39/40ish. I still have about half a keg of the "straight" version of this recipe (no coconut) on tap in my kegerator, so not planning to make another batch for a while just yet. My club is trying to get at least one beer of each BJCP style category on tap for the Southern California Homebrew Festival coming up at the beginning of May, so I might do another batch for that, although I'm thinking about doing something with bananas for my next fruit beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #52
Sween
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just pitched.... Added some toasted coconut to the boil and also gave it a little extra lme kick... Sg was 1.068!

Wyeast 1056 American ale. Also dumped the rest of my toasted coconut into some vodka to make an extract.

Had to make it my own!

Old 02-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #53
Sween
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just a note on this... I am second guessing my decision to add coconut to the boil for fears that the oils will destroy head retention.

That said, I toasted 12 oz of coconut and added it to a bottle and filled it with vodka. (I'm up to almost an entire bottle of vodka to cover it as the flakes keep sucking up the vodka) I plan on letting that steep for a week while the beer is in primary.

After fermentation is done I plan on using a nylon bag over a bowl to squeeze the vodka back out of the toasted coconut flakes. I think I will then freeze the infused vodka in the hopes that the oil will congeal on top and I can skim off the oils. I will then add it to the secondary as an extract.

I really think I want to avoid adding the flakes directly to the secondary for fear of oils and/or infection.

Will update....

Old 02-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #54
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 423 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I have never had a problem with infection from adding the toasted coconut directly. However, in my experience you probably DO want to put it in some kind of container (I use a fine mesh nylon bag) to keep the flakes from getting all over the place in your wort, just because it can be sort of a pain to rack off of the coconut otherwise.

Regarding head retention: I didn't have too much of an issue with my last batch, which I had cut back my caramel 60 and pale chocolate to about 6.5% each of the grist, and added about 4% carapils and 2% black patent to make up the difference. Judges comments from a competition remarked "decent" head retention with good lacing.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:37 AM   #55
brewdude25
Recipes 

Does anyone know if adding coconut water would be a way to increase the coconut flavor? Although, the sugars in the coconut water would likely ferment out.

To brew or not to brew... That is the question.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #56
formula2fast
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I used 32 ounces of coconut water in the boil of mine and it was awesome. I can not pinpoint if the coconut water fermented out or what would have happened if I did not add it, but I tasted a friends coconut beer that he brewed that was very similar to mine only without coconut water, and my coconut flavor was much more pronounced than his.

I used Harmless Harvest coconut water from Whole foods. I tasted a whole bunch of different ones before I used them and this one was the best. This is also one that is not boiled to pasturize it, so it retains a lot more flavoring.

TieBEERio Brewing Co. - We litrally have armadillos in our trousers.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #57
Sween
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula2fast
I used 32 ounces of coconut water in the boil of mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by formula2fast
This is also one that is not boiled to pasturize it, so it retains a lot more flavoring.
...but either way it was boiled.

Wondering if a late addition of coconut water would work too in secondary.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:18 AM   #58
tre6mafya
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have wanted to do a coconut porter and this sounds perfect!! So what's the verdict of adding coconut water at flameout and about 1lb of toasted coconut to the secondary of this recipe has anyone tried that? Results??

Old 02-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #59
Sween
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I bought some coconut water... I opened it and it smells like piss. Not putting that crap in my beer. I stuck with toasted flakes in nylon bags and made my own extract with vodka.

In secondary now.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #60
tre6mafya
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sween, I don't enjoy the smell or taste (long story) of piss so I'm gonna stick with the toasted coconut flakes and maybe extract at the secondary. Thanks for your advice!

Quick Reply