Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > Extract - Coconut Porter 1st Place in 2nd Round 2011 HBT Comp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #21
JasontheBeaver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

UPDATE:
Been on tap for about a month now and it's slowly been losing it's coconut aroma and flavor. The beer itself is still a great porter, just reducing that wonderful aroma.
Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2012, 02:12 AM   #22
Justillinround
Recipes 

More coconut.lol

Old 01-02-2012, 02:37 AM   #23
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Wow, I dunno. I haven't had a big problem with losing coconut aroma or flavor. What I have noticed is that the flavor doesn't fade exactly, but it blends more with the beer rather than being distinctly separate from the flavor of the porter, if that makes any sense. I guess what I am saying is that the flavors just meld more as time progresses.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:43 AM   #24
JasontheBeaver

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Maybe that's what's going on. Before, it was a distinct and noticeable coconut aroma exactly like it smells after you toast it. Now, I'm the only one that even knows it's coconut, everyone else just says it's the best porter they've ever had but none can identify coconut specifically as an aroma or flavor.
Keep in mind these are serious beer tasting rookies though.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #25
JasontheBeaver

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

About 6 weeks in keg and the coconut flavor and aroma is virtually gone. Luckily I bottled a few after only a couple weeks in keg so this weekend I was able to compare the bottled version with the keg version and sure enough, the bottled version retained its coconut flavor and aroma.
No one has experienced this before?
My initial plan would be to leave the coconut in the keg longer but I'd like to get to the bottom of where the flavor and aroma is going. Did the coconut flavor compounds settle to the bottom of the keg so they were drawn off first? I never shook the keg so I'm not sure.
Any helpful feedback is desired because otherwise this is a seriously good beer.
If no solution is found then I'll try making it again and just bottling the entire batch.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:16 PM   #26
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Wow, that is bizarre. I have not experienced that. I had a keg last year that tasted nearly identical to the bottles that I did from the same batch, maybe 5-6 months after brewing.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #27
bwinnie
Recipes 

Currently brewing a toasted coconut brown ale. Had kona's last month... Kinda what's making me do it. I'm going to try 1.5 to 2 lbs of unsweetened toasted coconut in the secondary (5gals) for a week or two. Hope it turns out well!

Old 01-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #28
JasontheBeaver

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinnie View Post
Currently brewing a toasted coconut brown ale. Had kona's last month... Kinda what's making me do it. I'm going to try 1.5 to 2 lbs of unsweetened toasted coconut in the secondary (5gals) for a week or two. Hope it turns out well!
Cool! I too have considered a coconut brown ale.
I'd be interested in your feedback on the longevity of the coconut flavor and aroma in the keg.
I should've asked first, do you plan on kegging or bottling or both?

"Homebrewing to cut costs on my obsessive tailgating habit."
Car Detailing, Headlight Restoration, Windshield Chip Repair, Odor Removal, Engine Steam Cleaning all in Beaverton, Portland, OR

Old 01-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #29
bwinnie
Recipes 

Unfortunately I do not have the capacity to keg, so I will be bottling. Going to rack the beer to the secondary onto the coconut this weekend, so it will be awhile before I can comment on longevity of the flavor. I'll try and let you know.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #30
cimirie
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasontheBeaver
Any helpful feedback is desired because otherwise this is a seriously good beer.
If no solution is found then I'll try making it again and just bottling the entire batch.
Absolute guess on my part and I have zero experience with this so anyone is free to shoot the whole thing down.

We dry hop beers. I know many folks who place hop balls in their kegs to continue maximum hop flavor throughout the life of the keg. Why not "dry coconut" the keg? Get one of those SS tea balls and fill with toasted coconut and drop into the keg prior to carbing. Actually, you could purge the keg now of CO2 and drop a ball in.

In fact, I know there have been a few DIY plans for various hop backs on here. You could fill a hop back with coconut. There are tons of ideas if you want to go crazy!

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!

Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout

Quick Reply