Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > Extract - Coconut Porter 1st Place in 2nd Round 2011 HBT Comp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2011, 09:48 PM   #11
JasontheBeaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 23

So just to clarify, you're:
* primary for 11 days
* transfer to secondary bucket where you add the 12oz toasted coconut in a nylon bag, for 7 days
* remove coconut then keg/bottle

I will be kegging this beer and letting it sit (room temp) another 2-4 weeks to further condition before I force carb it.
I'm wondering if I should transfer the coconut into the keg also, or is 7 days in the secondary long enough?

Last edited by JasontheBeaver; 09-06-2011 at 10:45 PM. Reason: wrong word

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #12
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 426 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 58

That sounds about right. The 11 days primary is more of a guideline than anything else. I basically let it ferment out, then give it another few days to a week or two depending upon my schedule and whatnot.

A week on the coconut should be plenty.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #13
JasontheBeaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I finally brewed this recipe up last night and the yeasties are already busy at work this morning. 11 more days and they get to meet their new friends, toasted coconut.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:08 AM   #14
richkev
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. Keep us posted on your results.

Beerboyfeelgood!

Old 11-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #15
JasontheBeaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Due to an elk hunting adventure, I finally got this brew into secondary with the coconut after 33 days in primary.
I put the pan-toasted coconut into a sanitized hop bag then put that into a keg. I then racked the beer into the keg and purged the O2. I know initially we talked about putting this into a bucket with the coconut but I was concerned about oxidation so I went to keg instead.
Now I'll let it sit for about a week then rack into another keg and start carbing.
I really should've made a couple porters first before jumping right into this coco nut recipe but oh well.
The sample I took had a 1.014 gravity and was dark as hell but clear, not cloudy whatsoever. It tasted a little watery but I guess that's expected at this early stage.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:16 PM   #16
Tyrone
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Sounds delicious...

Old 12-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #17
JasontheBeaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

UPDATE:
I pulled the coconut hop bag out of the keg after 8 days, put the keg in the fridge at 44F and began carbing. (I didn't rack to another keg).
Now after about 11 days I pull a sample glass and... folks we have a winner!

Here's what I found. This beer retains its head very well, indeed better than any of the few beers I've made so far. I didn't expect this because of the oils in the coconut but whatever, I'll take it.
By far the most outstanding trait is the aroma. Fresh toasted coconut! I hope this aroma lasts in the keg and in bottles because I will certainly be entering this into some competitions.
The taste seems well balanced, just the right amount of coconut. I made a beer float using chocolate ice cream last night after dinner and wow... what a feeling enjoying this treat all made by me! (Can you tell I'm still new to this hobby?)
Another week of carbing is only gonna improve this beer.

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe and helping me along the way weirdboy.

This is the first beer I've made that is SO good I'm actually not wanting to share it with friends. Is this a natural progression for a homebrewer?

"Homebrewing to cut costs on my obsessive tailgating habit."
Car Detailing, Headlight Restoration, Windshield Chip Repair, Odor Removal, Engine Steam Cleaning all in Beaverton, Portland, OR

Old 12-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #18
JasontheBeaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've had this beer on tap for a couple weeks and have discovered something unexpected. Many people do not like coconut flavor!
Since I'm still new in the hobby many of my friends are always asking what's next on tap. When I finally came out with this coconut porter many people say "oh I don't like coconut." WTF? I thought everyone liked coconut!?
Anyway, more great beer for me. But this has led to me wanting to make a regular porter for my friends to show off my growing skills. Since this batch turned out so great I'm considering doing the exact same recipe except leave out the coconut at the end.

"Homebrewing to cut costs on my obsessive tailgating habit."
Car Detailing, Headlight Restoration, Windshield Chip Repair, Odor Removal, Engine Steam Cleaning all in Beaverton, Portland, OR

Old 12-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #19
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 426 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Good to hear you enjoy it, and I too have friends that don't like coconut.

Admittedly, I don't like coconut, either. But it is very specific...the flavor of raw coconut (e.g. on a Mounds bar or coconut cake) just tastes awful to me. There is something in the coconut flesh that just rubs me the wrong way. But, I really like the flavor of coconut milk in e.g. Thai food, or coconut water, or the coconut flavor you get in something like this.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:57 PM   #20
WhoDey78
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Do you think the weak head retention is due to the coconut oil?

Quick Reply