Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > All-Grain - Cherries in the Rain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #11
MichaelsBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Judges comments? What would you do differently? Have you brewed it again since May 2010?

Thanks and Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2011, 11:50 PM   #12
mikelikesit2000
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Update??

My Build My Photo Gallery

Old 10-11-2011, 05:35 AM   #13
Olddog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry for the lack of updates. I bought a house this summer and it's been non-stop projects ever since.

This beer continues to be hit whenever I share it with friends (been miserly with it since I want to let it age). It's nice and sour and almost has a lambic style taste to it.

I plan to brew it again soon but instead of 10 pounds of sour cherries, I might sub in a couple points of rainier or bing cherries to sweeten it up a bit and up the hops some based on the judges comments (I'll post those when I can find them again).

Old 06-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #14
BrewFresh
Recipes 

Reviving this, with a few questions about your process. I'm getting 10 lbs of sour cherries from a friend that were freshly picked yesterday and I've been wanting to make this recipe since I got Papazian's book years ago. I want to do it all-grain, as you did Olddog, and I like the look's of the grain bill. My questions are:

-How much volume does 10 lbs of cherries add to the boil kettle?
-Will the temp drop, by adding cherries, from 212 F to 160 F - 180 F with such a larger boil volume than Papazian's recipe calls for?
-What kind of volume into the fermenter should I plan for, assuming I'm shooting for 5 gallons of beer after all transferring has been done (primary -> secondary -> keg)?

I know, questions are way too specific for a thread 2 yrs old. Just thought I'd give it a shot.

Thanks

Old 08-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #15
RitalinIV
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

FreshBrew,

I just started on this recipe 4 days ago and I might be able to help out a little. I am a long time reader and first time poster but here goes-
I started with 3 gallons of water in a 5 gallon kettle. I thought I was going to have an issue with adding 10 pounds of sour cherries, but I was wrong. There was a surprising amount of room left in the kettle, especially after 45 minutes of boiling. I would estimate 7-8 inches after adding cherries. I used cans of Oregon brand tart cherries in water (11 x 14.5 oz), drained, and dumped into a grain bag. I crushed with clean hands.

My wort temp was about 223ºF at the 45 min mark. I killed the heat and added the bag of cherries mixed with finishing hops. The temp dropped down to 184ºF. I did not really believe it so I checked my digital with my trusty back-up thermometer. It was accurate. I kept the heat off until the temp dropped down to 165ºF and then slowly added/removed heat to keep it in range.
When it came time to pour it into the fermenter, I removed the bag of hops and cherries to another kettle. I dumped the hot wort over ice and filled to the 5 gallon line with cool tap water. After stirring, the temp was 85ºF. Again, I double checked (10 lbs of cherries cost me $45 after all). I simply waited for the temp to drop to 80ºF and pitched the yeast. After, I added the cherry bag again, sealed it up, and waited.

Fermentation started 48 hrs later (which worried me) but when it did, WOW! I am using a standard, cookie-cutter, brew store-purchased plastic primary and there is plenty of room. I see no issue with using a glass carboy either if that is your thing.

Hope that helps and good luck,

-Ritalin

Quick Reply