Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > All-Grain - Blueberry Summer Ale

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #41
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
azscoob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lake in the Hills, IL
Posts: 7,146
Liked 138 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Default


I am glad I'm not the only one who enjoys this one! Too often a fruit beer is over the top fruity, when I was working this recipe up I wanted a beer that tasted like beer and not a wine cooler

__________________

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

azscoob is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #42
coonz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Owosso
Posts: 38
Default


So I am about to start this brew and was wondering what I should do for blueberries. I want a good flavor of blueberry and a blueish color. I leaning towards fresh/frozen blueberries, if anyone can help me out and give any suggestions thanks.

__________________
coonz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #43
motleybrews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: memphis
Posts: 479
Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGsPorter
Alright, that's how it's going to happen then. Did it turn the beer blue at all?
5 pounds of puréed blueberries turned it beautiful purple with a light pink head
__________________
motleybrews is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #44
motleybrews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: memphis
Posts: 479
Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by coonz
So I am about to start this brew and was wondering what I should do for blueberries. I want a good flavor of blueberry and a blueish color. I leaning towards fresh/frozen blueberries, if anyone can help me out and give any suggestions thanks.
Fresh. Puréed. Pasteurized.
__________________
motleybrews is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #45
DrBrewDC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hesperia
Posts: 245
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default


Back to the topic of photos.....

Does anyone have a pic to share??

__________________
DrBrewDC is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #46
coonz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Owosso
Posts: 38
Default


Brewed mine up on Monday brew day turned into 6 hours of fun. Messed up on the OG reading, but looking forward to adding blueberries.

Does anyone have their fermentation schedule? Not sure if I should do 1-2 weeks in primary and how long on fruit in secondary?

Thanks

__________________
coonz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 03:43 AM   #47
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
azscoob's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lake in the Hills, IL
Posts: 7,146
Liked 138 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by coonz View Post
Brewed mine up on Monday brew day turned into 6 hours of fun. Messed up on the OG reading, but looking forward to adding blueberries.

Does anyone have their fermentation schedule? Not sure if I should do 1-2 weeks in primary and how long on fruit in secondary?

Thanks
I ferment for 2 to 3 weeks in recent batches, rack onto the berries and let that go for another week before transferring to a keg and carbing for 3 weeks to a month to let it carb up.

You could go longer on the fruit for more berry flavor, I prefer the blueberries to be a background player in this beer.
__________________

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

azscoob is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #48
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rochester
Posts: 462
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default


Anyone try oregon blueberry puree for this? I was listening to the Jamil show and he was raving about how the puree aids in geting consistent results. I was thinking 3 lb or puree in secondary? Thanks!

__________________
FlyDoctor is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #49
archer75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gresham
Posts: 134
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDoctor View Post
Anyone try oregon blueberry puree for this? I was listening to the Jamil show and he was raving about how the puree aids in geting consistent results. I was thinking 3 lb or puree in secondary? Thanks!
Yes. It's what Mcmanamins uses in their ruby. I have made both a ruby clone and a blueberry ale with it. In both cases I added to the primary and racked on top.
In the ruby it worked great, perfect clone recipe and the raspberries really shine through.
In the blueberry I can't taste any blueberry at all. I could when I first kegged it but not anymore.
__________________
archer75 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #50
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rochester
Posts: 462
Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
Yes. It's what Mcmanamins uses in their ruby. I have made both a ruby clone and a blueberry ale with it. In both cases I added to the primary and racked on top.
In the ruby it worked great, perfect clone recipe and the raspberries really shine through.
In the blueberry I can't taste any blueberry at all. I could when I first kegged it but not anymore.
Do you mean you added it to the secondary or did you really add it to the primary? My understanding would be that adding it to the primary will drive of a lot of the aroma due to CO2 escaping, whereas adding in secondary preserves this.

Thanks for your help.
__________________
FlyDoctor is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extract - Blueberry Wheat Ale (blue Wench) boydak Fruit Beer 26 01-22-2014 02:44 AM