Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > All-Grain - Blueberry Summer Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #21
blitzcreeg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It went very well thanks for asking. Although my brewday turned into a brew night, on thursday and into early friday morning. cant wait to get the berries in there in.

experience cannot be taught

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 01:21 AM   #22
motleybrews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

when i plug the hop schedule into beersmith 2, i get close to 50 ibus. might be doing something wrong. any advice?

Old 04-15-2012, 03:39 AM   #23
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by motleybrews
when i plug the hop schedule into beersmith 2, i get close to 50 ibus. might be doing something wrong. any advice?
Did you have the centennial addition set as first wort hop? Also have you adjusted the AA%?

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 04-16-2012, 01:05 AM   #24
motleybrews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob

Did you have the centennial addition set as first wort hop? Also have you adjusted the AA%?
Figured it out. I had a box checked that shouldn't have been. Brewed this up today. It's gonna sit in primary for 2 weeks before I put it on the berries. Never used sorachi ace before, or FWH, or whole leaf so it was a beer of firsts. My LHBS only had pellet sorachi, but did use whole leaf centennial.

Also, I've got it in Blonde Ale category (light hybrid). Is that pretty accurate? All the numbers were perfect for Blonde Ale. Never brewed a fruit beer before, and this is the lightest SRM beer I've brewed also.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:26 AM   #25
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:

Figured it out. I had a box checked that shouldn't have been. Brewed this up today. It's gonna sit in primary for 2 weeks before I put it on the berries. Never used sorachi ace before, or FWH, or whole leaf so it was a beer of firsts. My LHBS only had pellet sorachi, but did use whole leaf centennial.

Also, I've got it in Blonde Ale category (light hybrid). Is that pretty accurate? All the numbers were perfect for Blonde Ale. Never brewed a fruit beer before, and this is the lightest SRM beer I've brewed also.
Yes, light hybrid is a correct base category for this beer.

Hope you enjoy this beer as much as I do!

Old 04-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #26
motleybrews
Recipes 

by all accounts so far, it looks like it is going to be great. fermentation started within 3-4 hours of pitching the yeast (used Safale as in the original). Didn't rehydrate or make a starter, so it is doing very well.

During the boil, after I added the first addition of Sorachi Ace, i SWEAR i smelled hints of blueberries. And it happened each time I threw in more Sorachi. could be my mind playing tricks on me, but I'm super stoked.

Like I said, due to going out of town this weekend, and having a few beers ready to be transferred to different vessels when I get back, I'm going to let it sit for 2 weeks in primary. Maybe even longer. I always hate to take a beer off the yeast. This will be my first TRUE secondary. I've moved things to secondary to free up space before, but never racked onto fruit or anything.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:34 PM   #27
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
by all accounts so far, it looks like it is going to be great. fermentation started within 3-4 hours of pitching the yeast (used Safale as in the original). Didn't rehydrate or make a starter, so it is doing very well.

During the boil, after I added the first addition of Sorachi Ace, i SWEAR i smelled hints of blueberries. And it happened each time I threw in more Sorachi. could be my mind playing tricks on me, but I'm super stoked.

Like I said, due to going out of town this weekend, and having a few beers ready to be transferred to different vessels when I get back, I'm going to let it sit for 2 weeks in primary. Maybe even longer. I always hate to take a beer off the yeast. This will be my first TRUE secondary. I've moved things to secondary to free up space before, but never racked onto fruit or anything.
There is a nice tropical fruit note to it, as well as the lemon. Sorachi ace is a favorite hop in the summer months for just that reason

Old 04-25-2012, 06:08 AM   #28
motleybrews
Recipes 

anyone have a picture of a finished pint?

I ended up transferring to secondary tonight. i basically pureed the fruit, but left quite a bit in tact as well. i heated the mixture to about 180 stirring the whole time. it was a long process, but didn't want to risk it. figured 180 was enough to kill any natural yeasties, but not cook or bring out the pectin.

now to decide which keg i want to finish. porter or vanilla oatmeal stout......

Old 04-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #29
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
anyone have a picture of a finished pint?

I ended up transferring to secondary tonight. i basically pureed the fruit, but left quite a bit in tact as well. i heated the mixture to about 180 stirring the whole time. it was a long process, but didn't want to risk it. figured 180 was enough to kill any natural yeasties, but not cook or bring out the pectin.

now to decide which keg i want to finish. porter or vanilla oatmeal stout......
180 I believe is hot enough to set the pectin, not positive though.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #30
motleybrews
Recipes 

that 180 number was given to me by the LHBS owner. he uses fruit all the time in meads and beers. he and a few other investors are opening up a brewery/taproom here and one of the first beers is going to involve blueberries, so I figured I'd try it his way.

interested to see how this turns out. Like I said, I've never used fruit, and this seemed like a beer that non beer drinkers would like, and non fruit beer drinkers (me) would like as well.

any pics?

Quick Reply