Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > Extract - Blonde Lime

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2008, 01:42 AM   #11
Fat Guy Brewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Makes more sense now, thanks man. When I was making a BW, I was told to only use the zest of an orange and make sure not to get any of the white part of the peel. I like your procedure and might have to try that for a lime brew next time.

CF
Owner, Brewer, Taster

Brewing: IPA
Fermenting: Oktoberfast
Aging:
Drinking: Fat Guy Porter, Fat Guy Tire, AJ's Raspberry, SWMBO Slayer
Up Next: Xmas Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 01:46 AM   #12
JedSmithBrewery
Recipes 

So are you not adding Hops because you want to taste the lime flavor or because you want to limit bitterness of the beer. Or am I missing something completly ( I am as new to this as can be - I am gonna make my first Brew in the Next Week )

Old 11-25-2008, 03:26 AM   #13
Fat Guy Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Jed - Welcome to HBT, so much for your free time, it will now be occupied with hours of reading HBT. You hit the nail right of the head. In a beer like this you are more interested in having the fruit flavor dominate and not the hops. At least I do that is. There are plenty of other beer styles in which you can add a ton of hops for bitterness, flavor, and aroma. Use the search function on the site or post a new thread if you have any questions before you start cooking (or even while you are cooking you can get some answers if necessary). Good luck!

CF
Owner, Brewer, Taster

Brewing: IPA
Fermenting: Oktoberfast
Aging:
Drinking: Fat Guy Porter, Fat Guy Tire, AJ's Raspberry, SWMBO Slayer
Up Next: Xmas Ale

Old 04-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #14
elundgr
Recipes 

To Fatguybrewing: Interested how did your Minute Maid Limeade brew come out?

Old 04-14-2009, 04:37 PM   #15
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

what is the theory behind separating the peel and the flesh into different jars?

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 04-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #16
velotech
Recipes 

I just finished a lime extract for a Weiss beer, which is conditioning right now. I made the lime extract from about 18 limes. The green part of the peel contains the oils which I wanted and I also wanted the juice, but not the citric acid.

In the peel jar, I added Everclear, which worked in just a few days. Once the liquid is a dark green, heat the jar up to about 170 to evaporate the alcohol. I did this about 4 or 5 times just to make sure.

In the juice jar, I added some sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to reduce the citric acid. I had to play around to figure out a good amount. I think I used about a 1/2 to 3/4 tsp for about 16 oz. After a week to a week and a half in the fridge, the liquid separates from the pulp and the sodium bicarbonate, which sink to the bottom.

After primary was complete, poured both jars into empty secondary and racked beer onto the extract. Overall, I used about 20 oz or so of both juice & peel extract. Turned out great!

Old 11-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #17
AJC16
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

3lbs of 2 row
1lbs of flaked rice
.5lbs of 20L
I have MT Hood or Cascade Hops, I think I am going to do the Cascade. I will aroma with cascade also
Adding 2 limes juice 5 min in to the boil, the rest of the limes with 10 minutes left
and add Irish Moss

Thats what I did for 2.5 gallons. I also added 4 oz of lime extract from a place I bought off ot amazon.com

Quick Reply