Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > All-Grain - Blackberry hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #11
HalfPint
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I will.

What do you think about wheat yeast vs neutral ale yeast in this brew?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #12
Gritsak
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post
I will.

What do you think about wheat yeast vs neutral ale yeast in this brew?
The hefe yeast i used didn't stand out nearly as much as it typically does after adding the fruit, but you could still pick up a little of the flavor. I've always been told that you need a solid base beer before adding fruit. I personally like the flavor of a traditional hefeweizen, so i decided to go that route.

I brew lots of beer.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:39 PM   #13
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritsak View Post
The hefe yeast i used didn't stand out nearly as much as it typically does after adding the fruit, but you could still pick up a little of the flavor. I've always been told that you need a solid base beer before adding fruit. I personally like the flavor of a traditional hefeweizen, so i decided to go that route.
Yeah, same here. I will probably use Danstar Munich since it's cheap and actually really nice for the wheat style.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:44 AM   #14
STideways
Recipes 

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead. It seems that there are hundreds of Blackberry wheat threads & recipes on the forum here, so I was a bit overwhelmed when I got inspired to make one. I landed here, since I'm familiar with the Weihenstephaner clone from the "Beer Captured" book. I'm still doing partial mash right now, so it looked like this:

1.5lb American wheat
1lb German pilsner
4oz Rice hulls
4.5lbs Wheat DME

Mash grains & rice for 90min @ 150F in 2.5gal water
Sparge w/ 1gal @ 165F

1.15oz Hallertau 3.9%AA @ 60 minutes
(I added some Whirlfloc at 15 minutes to help clear, even though that is against style)
Yeast: WLP 300
In Secondary, rack onto 4lbs 6oz frozen organic blackberries (the cheapest I could find)
Cold crash before kegging / bottling

OG: 1.060 @74F (target 1.053)
FG: 1.012 @66F (target 1.011)
ABV: 6%+ (???)
Notes:
Brew day was hot, so I couldn't get my OG sample down to a respectable temperature.

The goal was to brew something low-cal for the wife, but still interesting, so I liked the low OG/FG of this beer. Too bad I missed it The color going into primary fermentation seemed dark for a wheat beer, and stayed fairly dark (straw at edge of glass fading to gold) throughout primary. Very light bitterness which faded away entirely by the time it went into secondary. Beer had a mild banana / coriander nose at the end of primary ferment and was 1.015 @68F. Steeped blackberries in 160F water for 10 minutes, then threw away water and added blackberries to the beer. Tried to keep the berries as whole as possible. Color changed to murky blood red.

At end of ferment, cold crashed for 24h at 50F. Color is now a dark pink - when photographed looks like a mild black tea. When cold has no aroma, but releases an aroma similar to the base beer when at room temp (66F). Leads with the sweetness, but not as much as the 1.013 FG would lead you to believe. Berry taste is rather generic. There is no bitterness, and it is not as crisp as I remember Long Trail Blackberry wheat to be. I haven't carbed it yet, I'm thinking of going to the high end of the wheat style. So far, it has been well received but we'll take a growler to the river this weekend and see what folks say.

This beer makes me a bit nervous; it seems like there are lots of ways it can go poorly during the brew. Since I have to go to the store and buy my blackberries, it certainly wasn't cheap, but it was fun!

Old 09-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #15
lupulos
Recipes 

Thanks for the report; I'm making this recipe right now. Plenty of blackberries everywhere and I'm gonna use some cascade I picked last week so it's gonna be a cheap experiment! what's the advantage of the cold crash? i don't have any facilities for that right now. using the original all-grain recipe.

Drinking mini imperial stout

bottled rye pa

fermenting Belgian strong

Old 09-11-2012, 05:28 AM   #16
STideways
Recipes 

Cold crashing stops fermentation and helps the suspended bits settle, making the beer a bit clearer. I was somewhat emulating a Lomg Trail Blackberry wheat, so I did whatever I could to clear the beer short of using gelatin. I'm sure the wife-and-family won't mind a lagering fridge in the corner, too...

Old 09-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #17
lupulos
Recipes 

OK, good to know. I don't need clear I need delicious!
I have a bunch of frozen blackberries I picked a couple weeks ago, and the beer has been in primary for nearly two weeks. I'm going to rack it in the next couple days. Was the berry steeping at 160 f degrees just to kill pathogens? seems like a good idea I guess I'll do that. What was the final ruling on the beer?

bottled rye pa

Old 09-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #18
Gritsak
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupulos View Post
. Was the berry steeping at 160 f degrees just to kill pathogens? seems like a good idea I guess I'll do that. What was the final ruling on the beer?
Yes on the first part. I haven't made the beer since i made the original post, but it went over very well at a party. To me, blackberries aren't "fruity" in the same way of strawberries or cherries, so even budlight drinkers liked the beer. The blackberries really just at a nice color and a bit of tartness to the finished product without making it taste artificial.

I brew lots of beer.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #19
STideways
Recipes 

My beer turned out a pleasant pink. We put it up against Long Trail Blackbeary Wheat, which wasn't really fair, but that was the original goal. With 4lbs6oz of Blackberries, the beer has a distinct berry taste & color - it's reasonably prominent, not as much as a Raspberry wheat or other fruit beer, but not as understated as the long trail. The beer also has a hefty wheat component, compared to the crystal wheat of the Long Trail. This could very easily be turned into a pretty good sour or Belgian with some different yeast (that would be a fun project!). The high carbonation I went with (almost 4.0 vols) give it a lighter mouthfeel & I believe offset the high sugar level of this beer. You do have to watch those bottlecaps when opening, though.

I would say that I'm not sure what we are going to do with the remaining 4gal - between my wife & I we drink mostly IPA, but I'm sure the guys @ work who live on Heineken & similar will happily enjoy the rest of it. Next time I'll probably dial the blackberries back to about 3 to 3.5 lbs and maybe it'll be a nice lawnmower beer!

Edit: Yes, the 160F steep is to pasteurize the berries. Probably not necessary if they've been hard-frozen, but it didn't hurt anything, except staining the shirt I was wearing.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:55 AM   #20
lupulos
Recipes 

Mines a rose-purple, and smells decent out of the airlock...the sample I took for a gravity reading tasted bad but I'm going to assume that's bc it was the first squirt out of the rack and was mostly trubbish.

bottled rye pa

Quick Reply