Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > All-Grain - Blackberry hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2010, 03:21 AM   #1
Gritsak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Default All-Grain - Blackberry hefeweizen

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP300
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.43
Final Gravity: 1.009
IBU: 11.9
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 3.6 SRM (see notes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 4-7 days @ 65-68 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5 days @65-68 degrees
Tasting Notes: Very light with slight tartness. Clean aftertaste makes it easy to drink

6.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 60.00 %
4.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 40.00 %
0.50 lb Rice hulls
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.70 %] (60 min) Hops 7.9 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.70 %] (15 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) [Starter] Yeast-Wheat
4.00 lb Blackberries (secondary)

This is basically a weihenstaphaner hefe clone that i added in blackberries. Mashed at ~152 for 60min. Fermentation was quick with the starter and low OG, so it was down to 1.009 within 3 days. After day 5 the beer was racked onto 4lbs of blackberries. I bought these in the frozen foods section at Kroger. Thawed and steeped in 160 degree water for 15min. I drained off most of the excess water/blackberry juice before i put it in the carboy. Let this sit for 5 additional days total, but on the 4th day i put the carboy in the fridge to cold crash. Siphoned into the keg with a fine grained nylon bag over the hose to filter any bits of blackberry. Kegged and force carbed to drink on memorial day. In total, it was right around two weeks from grain to glass.

Color was pretty pale before the blackberries, and a rosy/pink color afterward with a thick, lacy head. The flavor is pretty light with a hint of blackberry tartness. Finish is very clean with no lingering aftertaste, so it was easy to drink a lot of these. It was well received by everyone--the 5 gallons was gone in a few hours.

I brew lots of beer.

Last edited by Gritsak; 06-01-2010 at 03:24 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey, thanks for writing me. This looks very very similar to the recipe I had came up with. I know you said in the message that you wrote that I could adjust the berries. What do you think? Do you think that if you made this again you would adjust the berries? I'm not sure if you looked at my recipe I posted in the first thread here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/frui...s-help-183639/, but that beer is a little bit bigger than yours. With that being said, do you think you'd up the amount of berries?

Thanks for the help,
Jacob

Old 06-24-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts

This looks good, I made one last summer and I loved it but mine was a mix of blueberries and homegrown blackberries. I planned on doing another but haven't found the time. Maybe this weekend?

Old 06-24-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
Gritsak
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post
Hey, thanks for writing me. This looks very very similar to the recipe I had came up with. I know you said in the message that you wrote that I could adjust the berries. What do you think? Do you think that if you made this again you would adjust the berries? I'm not sure if you looked at my recipe I posted in the first thread here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/frui...s-help-183639/, but that beer is a little bit bigger than yours. With that being said, do you think you'd up the amount of berries?

Thanks for the help,
Jacob
Just for the sake of experimenting, i would probably up the berries by 1lb next time just to taste the difference. With that said, i was pretty pleased with the amount i used with my recipe. But if you like lots of fruit flavor definitely bump it up. Mine also got drank really quickly at a party, so if you are going to be drinking on it for a couple weeks i would increase the amount of berries or time in the secondary since most say fruit flavor fades quickly.

I wish i had taken a good picture because the blackberries impart a really nice rosy color to the beer.

I brew lots of beer.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
HalfPint
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritsak View Post
Just for the sake of experimenting, i would probably up the berries by 1lb next time just to taste the difference. With that said, i was pretty pleased with the amount i used with my recipe. But if you like lots of fruit flavor definitely bump it up. Mine also got drank really quickly at a party, so if you are going to be drinking on it for a couple weeks i would increase the amount of berries or time in the secondary since most say fruit flavor fades quickly.

I wish i had taken a good picture because the blackberries impart a really nice rosy color to the beer.
Alright, then I'll go with 5 lbs of berries!

Thanks for the replies,
J

Old 06-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Alright, then I'll go with 5 lbs of berries!

Thanks for the replies,
J
In another thread about berries that was what was recommended, 1lb per gallon.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
HalfPint
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
In another thread about berries that was what was recommended, 1lb per gallon.
Yeah, I've read a lot of threads where folks have suggested that amount, but then I've read others who said differently. I think 1 lb/gallon, is a good starting point.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #8
Gritsak
Recipes 

Quote:
Yeah, I've read a lot of threads where folks have suggested that amount, but then I've read others who said differently. I think 1 lb/gallon, is a good starting point.
If you can get ahold of the last? issue of Zymurgy it has recommended amounts for a variety if different fruits. I think it actually recommended near 7#'s for blackberries, but that seems like a lot to me!

It would be really cool to do a 5 gallon batch, then split it up into 5-1gallon batches secondaried with varying amounts of fruit. Figure out the best then scale it up for a 5g batch. If i didn't keg I'd think about trying it.

I brew lots of beer.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:02 PM   #9
HalfPint
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritsak View Post
If you can get ahold of the last? issue of Zymurgy it has recommended amounts for a variety if different fruits. I think it actually recommended near 7#'s for blackberries, but that seems like a lot to me!

It would be really cool to do a 5 gallon batch, then split it up into 5-1gallon batches secondaried with varying amounts of fruit. Figure out the best then scale it up for a 5g batch. If i didn't keg I'd think about trying it.
Yeah, I keg as well plus I'm too lazy to do all of that work! I think I'm going to do 5 gallons with 5 lbs of fruit. That just sounds right to me.

I have a book Extreme Brewing by Sam Calagione and he says around 6 lbs for raspberries/blackberries, but that was at flame out, not in the secondary.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
Gritsak
Recipes 

Quote:
Yeah, I keg as well plus I'm too lazy to do all of that work! I think I'm going to do 5 gallons with 5 lbs of fruit. That just sounds right to me.

I have a book Extreme Brewing by Sam Calagione and he says around 6 lbs for raspberries/blackberries, but that was at flame out, not in the secondary.
Be sure to let me know how it turns out. Takes some pictures if you can!

I brew lots of beer.

Quick Reply