Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > All-Grain - Apricot Blond.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #11
BDB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

This is a very tasty beer brewed by Dry Dock in Aurora, Colorado.

http://www.drydockbrewing.com/Recipes/ApricotBlondeAllGrainRecipe/tabid/837/Default.aspx

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #12
crypt0
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This will be my first all grain batch I'll be making this weekend.

Couple of questions based on what I have available... I don't have access to S04 at the moment without driving about 3 hours. Would Nottingham or Wyeast 1056 work?

I also have 1 lb crystal 20 and 1 lb crystal 40. For a 10 gallon batch, would that throw
off the colour too much? If so, I'll scale back to a 5 gallon batch.

Cheers!

Old 06-29-2010, 06:15 PM   #13
BDB
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypt0 View Post
This will be my first all grain batch I'll be making this weekend.

Couple of questions based on what I have available... I don't have access to S04 at the moment without driving about 3 hours. Would Nottingham or Wyeast 1056 work?

I also have 1 lb crystal 20 and 1 lb crystal 40. For a 10 gallon batch, would that throw
off the colour too much? If so, I'll scale back to a 5 gallon batch.

Cheers!
Dry Dock Brewing recommends WLP002 or Wyeast 1968 London ESB.

As for the crystal, Dry Dock's recipe only calls for 0.5# for 5 gallons. Double that and your golden See link above.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:17 PM   #14
jds

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

I tapped a keg of the Dry Dock recipe for a family party on July 4. Big hit. This is a nice, easy-drinking summer beer, with enough complexity from the apricot to make it interesting. It's nowhere near as overpoweringly fruity as a lot of apricot beers.

As for the yeast, I brewed mine with S-04, and it turned out excellent. I'm not a fruit beer guy, but this is a very nice fruit beer. The method (3 lb of puree in primary ferment, flavoring at bottling/kegging) seems like it would lend itself to lots of different fruit, if you were so inclined.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:18 PM   #15
kenan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDB View Post
This is a very tasty beer brewed by Dry Dock in Aurora, Colorado.

http://www.drydockbrewing.com/Recipes/ApricotBlondeAllGrainRecipe/tabid/837/Default.aspx

Hmm... that link isn't valid anymore... Can someone post or PM me the DryDock apricot blonde recipe? (assuming Dry Dock is ok with that....)

Old 07-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #16
BDB
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenan View Post
Hmm... that link isn't valid anymore... Can someone post or PM me the DryDock apricot blonde recipe? (assuming Dry Dock is ok with that....)
From what I remember the OP recipe was identical to Dry Docks. That's why I posted the link. I didn't want the OP to take credit for a Dry Dock recipe.

Dry Dock and The Brew Hut gave out most, if not all of their recipes out. The Brew Hut has since pulled the blonde ap off their site. Not sure the reasoning.

One thing with Dry Docks Ap Blonde recipe was that the amount of cascade hops was too much. I knew three people that brewed the extract recipe and it all came out way too hoppy. So I brewed their recipe a while ago. Brought it in for them to try it. We came to the conclusion that the amount of cascade needs to be cut in half. I think it was closer to .25 to .33 oz of cascade.

And be careful with the 4oz. additive. That stuff is potent.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #17
kenan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDB View Post
From what I remember the OP recipe was identical to Dry Docks. That's why I posted the link. I didn't want the OP to take credit for a Dry Dock recipe.

Dry Dock and The Brew Hut gave out most, if not all of their recipes out. The Brew Hut has since pulled the blonde ap off their site. Not sure the reasoning.

One thing with Dry Docks Ap Blonde recipe was that the amount of cascade hops was too much. I knew three people that brewed the extract recipe and it all came out way too hoppy. So I brewed their recipe a while ago. Brought it in for them to try it. We came to the conclusion that the amount of cascade needs to be cut in half. I think it was closer to .25 to .33 oz of cascade.

And be careful with the 4oz. additive. That stuff is potent.

Thanks for the info... I went ahead and brewed it this past weekend. I am going to omit the additive all together and just use the 3lb can of Oregon apricot puree. I also used the full 1oz of Cascade for 60 min and even added an oz of Amarillo for 5 mins... but I am a hophead, so I couldn't imagine it any other way. I've been tweaking a hoppy apricot ale recipe that was similar to Dogfish Head's Aprihop, but after trying the Paragon Apricot Blonde, I decided it was much better to go that way (BIG apricot!) Will let you know how it turns out

Old 08-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #18
Philip_T
Recipes 

subscribed

On Deck Circle: Apricot Ale
Fermenting: Belgian Quad
Fermenting: Amarillo Ale
Bottled: AHS Stone Russian Imperial Stout clone kit

Old 10-25-2011, 04:14 AM   #19
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Anyone have updates on this one? I have a friend who wants something similar to Magic Hat #9 for their wedding, and this seems like it might fit the bill. That said, I'm not a fan of fruit extracts/essences, so I'd probably just go with the fruit puree.

Thanks in advance.

On-Deck: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale; Bacon488's Mild

Primary: Quad

Kegged: Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Apple cider;

Bottled: Saison Americain; Tripel; Session Saison; Grodziskie; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 10-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #20
kenan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulipion2 View Post
Anyone have updates on this one? I have a friend who wants something similar to Magic Hat #9 for their wedding, and this seems like it might fit the bill. That said, I'm not a fan of fruit extracts/essences, so I'd probably just go with the fruit puree.

Thanks in advance.
I have brewed this a couple of times, omitting the extract and just using the 3 lb can of Oregon Apricot Puree. It has a pretty mild apricot flavor compared to the Dry Dock Paragon Apricot Blonde, but it's still pretty tasty. It's a nice, mild, smooth session type beer. Good for a wedding I say. If you haven't tried Dry Dock's version, it's a must. That thing is amazing... packed full of apricot flavor but still nice and balanced.

Quick Reply