Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Strong Ale > Partial - Pirate Strong Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2014, 07:21 PM   #291
alby44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Joined HBT in January and have been watching/reading through this particular thread for awhile now. Finally got around to it and made my starter and brewed 'The Pirate' two weeks ago and man did it smell great!

OG rating was......1.100! Initial thinking was that this was off with water mix-in, but man, that's high!

Took a sample last night, and it shot down to 1.010ish. Loved the taste, had that 'strong ale' taste to it, but did not pick up on the pineapple. Plan to throw in the oak chips next week, but this could bottle w/o it at this point.

Great recipe!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 02:22 PM   #292
mister704
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Well, my OG was no where near that high as most but that is fine because I wanted this to be a lighter beer for the wife and friends to drink on. I did all grain and used something like 13lbs of 2-Row where I see other say they used 15lbs. So that is where my extra alc % went which I am fine with.

I believe my OG was around 1.077 and it is roughly 1.018 which is still on the stronger than Bud list at around 7.7%.

NOW the issue(or sort of issue) - The wife likes beer to be a little sweater so I decided to up the aroma and sweetness and used 2 vanilla beans. I purchased these Madagascar beans off Amazon that came in vacuum sealed package so they weren't dry. They were thick and sort of juicy. Anyways, I split them open, scraped out the insides and sliced the hull in 1 inch sections. Tossed it all in a dab of Svedka vodka and let it sit over night.

Next morning, tossed it all in with the 4oz of wood. BOY IS THAT VANILLA STRONG. Can smell it but can definitely taste it for sure(almost over powering but she liked it).

Wondering does the aroma and taste die off any or will it continue to get more vibrant as time goes on. I plan to stir it up a little bit tomorrow to get that wood evenly distributed then cold crash tomorrow and bottle on Sunday. Oh yea....and can I add some of the Myers that I drained off the wood during the bottling phase when I add my priming sugar?

Old 05-13-2014, 05:11 PM   #293
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts

I suggest leaving the rum out. As for the vanilla, it won't really go away........but it will Mature nicely. That's my opinion. I also used the 2 beans but didn't process them that much; split dunked in star san, tossed into the beer. But, I like that level of vanilla in this beer. Cheers!

Old 05-13-2014, 05:44 PM   #294
mister704
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwortiz View Post
I suggest leaving the rum out. As for the vanilla, it won't really go away........but it will Mature nicely. That's my opinion. I also used the 2 beans but didn't process them that much; split dunked in star san, tossed into the beer. But, I like that level of vanilla in this beer. Cheers!
Hmmm sounds good. I may or may not add anymore Myers. If I did it would only be something like a shot worth. I need to swirl that wood around and see what tastes come from it today.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:32 PM   #295
mmlipps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Rack to secondary?

Do you add the wood chips to the primary at 3 weeks or rack to a secondary with the wood chips?

Old 06-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #296
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
Recipes 

I used to rack...The last 3 times I have made this I kept in the primary. Now, I pretty much dry hop and have oaked other beers all in primary. If I am using a bunch of fruit, like a strawberry beer I just made with 6 lbs in secondary, I racked. Otherwise I do all same vessel if I can now.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:46 AM   #297
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
Recipes 

Jason, this beer was a hit at the wedding. I brought a keg of jasmine wedding beer (from hbt) and a the keg of this I brewed on 3/30. Pirate kicked first and I received a lot of compliments! First time to showcase home brew in "public" and it went great. Great recipe man! Well received and well liked!

Old 06-24-2014, 03:42 AM   #298
RazorUK
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

This should be called Shipwreck ale! That's how a few of my guests have been after a couple of glasses! Will brew this bad boy again, great beer!

Old 06-24-2014, 02:18 PM   #299
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
Recipes 

Agreed. I am wondering how long the praise lasted the morning AFTER

Old 06-27-2014, 09:49 PM   #300