Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Strong Ale > Partial - Pirate Strong Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2013, 02:54 AM   #201
invivoSaccharomyces
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Hmm, mine's been in bottles for two weeks, and it doesn't taste very good. The pineapple is overbearing, and there's a bit of an astringent taste to it, which I can't tell where it's coming from. I don't think it's from accidentally doubling the galena hops, since it doesn't taste very bitter. I'm also getting almost no flavor from the malts, which might be due to the strength of the pineapple and hops.

Has anyone else had similar problems with this beer, and did they clear up with aging? Or am I stuck with alcoholic dirty pineapple water?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #202
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Give it a few more weeks and it may surprise you. I didn't start that way so I'm not sure what it will turn into. I agree the hops shouldn't have caused that flavor challenge. Which rum/oak chips did you use?

Old 07-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #203
invivoSaccharomyces
Recipes 

I used French oak from my LHBS and half Sailor Jerry's (cuz I had some and wanted to get rid of it) and half Myers.

I know Jerry's seems to provide undesirable flavors according to other users, but I'm not getting an overwhelming rum flavor, so I don't think it's the problem. It does add a nice aroma, though.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #204
invivoSaccharomyces
Recipes 

Welp, I think I figured out what went wrong. All my bottles turned into gushers, so I must've picked up an infection along the way.

I'm pretty sure it came from the oaking step. I assumed the rum would sterilize it well enough, but maybe not. Any of you more experienced brewers have a good method for sterilizing oak chips? And how do you add it to a carboy, getting it through that tiny hole at the top without spilling soggy oak everywhere?

Old 08-14-2013, 12:33 AM   #205
blitzgp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I soaked my oak chips the same day as brew day to really soak in well for the sterilization/wood essence. After 2 weeks of fermenting, I added the pineapple and oak chips. Very awesome beer. I have a 10" funnel that could barely handle the pineapple chunks or the geometry of the bunched up oak chips, just had to shake, shake, shake.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:00 AM   #206
deuce40
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Going to brew this for my birthday and was just wondering, do you guys add the rum that you soak the chips in or just the chips. Not sure if this question has been answered but there's no way I can read through all of this.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:31 AM   #207
blitzgp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I add everything. For an overall 5 gallon batch, the few oz of booze is insignificant for overall ABV.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #208
j1laskey
Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I never have added the the extra rum that was never soaked up by the chips. I pour it back into the bottle and use it again for a future batch. But its up to you.

The Secretion Brewery

Let's think it over and stop making sense

Old 08-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #209
Kuki
Recipes 

I will brew this beer with adding cinnamon (ground) and candied pineapple. For secondary fermentation (30 days) 200ml Rum (54%) with 50g of oak chips (heavy toast), with a little touch of vanilla extract. To bottling another 100ml of Rum.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #210
deuce40
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Whats a good sub for caraaroma my home brew store doesnt carry it.

Quick Reply