Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Strong Ale > Partial - Pirate Strong Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 12:58 AM   #11
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It's funny you mentioned that. I was actually thinking about that today. I have a ton of Captain Morgan Tattoo that I don't really drink that often and only a little Meyer's left. I was thinking that flavor profile might go with the overall drink but hadn't decided. I may do the "real version" first and then try to experiment or perhaps even doing a half batch of each.

Now that I know I've got a little more time to figure that out, I'll use it

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 05:32 AM   #12
bgrimmer
Recipes 

This sounds great

Old 04-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #13
SoupNazi
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

pwortiz- If you make this on brewday, it should be ready for the secondary in 3 weeks. I am planning on slitting the vanilla bean after 2 weeks and throwing it in the run/oak mixture to extract more flavors for the last week before secondary.

I went ahead and brewed a 5g batch last night. Now Im still somewhat new to the whole mashing process, but last night things finally seemed to go all according to plan! Striked 2.75g @ 170* to mashin @ 155* for 60min. Hit the numbers right on the nose for a entire hour. Sparged with 2g @ 170* and retained 4.25g of wort with a gravity of 1.044 (@60*)

Question- How do I determine my mashing efficiency based upon the grain bill, and my above numbers? My searches have yielded nothing so far...

The reason I ask is because my OG came out to be a whopping 1.098! No biggie, for I had plenty of yeast for it, so...

Thanks for posting the recipie j1laskey!

"You put the balm on? Who told you to put the balm on? Did i tell you to put the balm on?"

Old 04-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #14
ATPorter
Recipes 

Is syrup better than DME or does it matter? If so, what would I use and how much?

Old 04-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #15
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
Recipes 

AT, it's totally up to you and your preference. I am 95% of the time voting for DME based on my experiences and tastes. Basically, I will choose to use DME in every recipe that I can if it's available.

For this one, DME is basically 80% of the weight of the LME - as explained to me from my LHBS.

If the recipe called for 10 lbs of LIQUID extract (that's way high, I'm just using multiples of 10 for ease) then you would use 8 lbs of DRY extract.

.8*x = weight of DME
.8*10lb LME = 8 lb DME

So the formula for LME ( x ) from DME is:

.8%*x = 8 lb DME
x = 8/.8
x = 10

Sorry for all the algebra. Maybe others have an easier time of it

If you do end up using the LME note that your color will be affected a bit. The taste, not so much. I believe you'll want to use the "Extra Pale LME" to keep it as light as possible.

Any others with more experience, please chime in!

Old 04-17-2012, 12:02 AM   #16
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
Recipes 

Hey All, just an FYI that there is apparently a shortage on Citra Hops this year. I went to order from Brewgadgets or AHS but neither have them in stock. I found them on Monsterbrew and picked up 5 oz and that left them with only 6 more packets in stock @ 2.99 a pop.
https://www.security-shopping-cart.c...Pellets1oz.cfm

Get 'em while you can!

Old 04-17-2012, 01:06 AM   #17
j1laskey
Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Man!!!! I gotta wait 1 or 2 more days for this to be ready!!! When I kegged this I also kegged Brandon O's graff. Set the psi at 30 and found the tank empty. The poppet on the Pirate keg wasn't sitting properly and drained my CO2. The Graff carb'd up but not the Pirate. Refilled CO2 today. Should be perfect by Wednesday's B's game.

The Secretion Brewery

Let's think it over and stop making sense

Old 04-17-2012, 01:14 AM   #18
ATPorter
Recipes 

Ok I will go with the dry. To replace the 2 row would I use the same dry light extract already called for by the recipe for a total of 8lbs?

Old 04-17-2012, 01:20 AM   #19
ATPorter
Recipes 

Also, I have a looked a couple places for that particular yeast but cannot find it. Who sells that or what could be substituted for it?

Thanks!

Sorry for all the noob questions. In way over my head but I MUST make this beer. It sounds awesome!

Old 04-17-2012, 01:27 AM   #20
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
Recipes 

J1 - that sucks. I also have some of Brando O's in the primary now. I have let it go a little longer than originally called for. May bottle sooner rather than later though. This was my first and I did a half batch.

AT, yeah, use the same Light DME for a total of 8 lbs. As for the yeast, you can find at AHS here: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...ducts_id=10253
or here: http://www.brewgadgets.com/p-1037-am...nd-wlp060.aspx

Note my message on the Citra hops above as well if you have not secured them yet.

We were all noobs once - I still am. This forum has been awesome for people just starting out. Ask away!

Quick Reply