Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Strong Ale > Partial - Pirate Strong Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #181
rdneckbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just finished brewing this up. Took me forever! Well, seemed like it anyway. Its only my fourth batch of beer so it might be me being unorganized also.

My OG came out at 1.10! That's higher than all the others I have seen. Did I do something wrong?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2013, 11:39 PM   #182
j1laskey
Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I just kegged and forced carbed last night.... And it's ready to drink. This was my first AG batch of pirate and what I think the best so far. A little less sweet than I am use to.
All then flavors are blended well. With some time in the keg it can only get better.

1.1 is a huge gravity! Is your hydrometer calibrated? If that's correct you might have a monster or your hands! Enjoy!

The Secretion Brewery

Let's think it over and stop making sense

Old 06-02-2013, 03:50 AM   #183
rdneckbrew
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The hydrometer is on as far as I know. Its brand new. Can't wait to try this thing!

Old 06-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #184
fvirzi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So my batch that I messed up by putting pineapple in at beginning boil has a real strong alcohol taste and a off pineapple taste. Wondering what to do with it. Normally I would just keg it to get rid of it but being a high alcohol that's not a good idea. Any recommendations on what to put in to hide off taste? I haven't put in any vanilla. I was thinking some vanilla extract and some more cinnamon and make it kinda Christmas like. Need help thanks

Old 06-03-2013, 12:22 AM   #185
j1laskey
Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Is it still in primary?

The Secretion Brewery

Let's think it over and stop making sense

Old 06-03-2013, 12:51 AM   #186
fvirzi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

2 weeks in primary and has been in secondary for 8 days now. Also skipped oak chips this time to cut down on cost of rum if that helps. Hit og and fg #s pretty close as well. Was thinking maybe bottle conditioning for a while would help but thought some vanilla and cinnamon would be beneficial to hide off flavors

Old 06-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #187
invivoSaccharomyces
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Just brewed this up two days ago, hit OG around 1.082 or so (was hard to tell with the foam). I used two packets of Wyeast 1450, since my LHBS doesn't carry White Labs and I'm not set up to make starters yet. Hopefully these little bugs can power through.

It smelled wonderful, but the wort tasted foul! Extremely bitter and spicy, and the pineapple bits were inedible. The yeast love it, though, and my blow-off tube was bubbling vigorously this morning.

Also, I accidentally left the cinnamon stick in. Whoops!

Looking forward to this.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #188
invivoSaccharomyces
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Oh, double whoops. I just realized I added a whole ounce of Galena, not the half ounce. Hmm, I hope that doesn't make this crazy undrinkably bitter.

Learning!

Old 06-13-2013, 03:47 AM   #189
Lurch69
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

So this has been in the keg a few weeks now and it's going fast! It's a great recipe and one that I'll be making again for sure! Using Pacman yeast worked great and provides a nice, clean profile. I also fermented a 1 gal portion with Unibroue yeast and while it's not bad, I'd definitely recommend sticking with a more neutral yeast vs a Belgian strain. My wife doesn't typically care for the beers I brew but she enjoyed this one so I'd call that a win for sure. Thanks again for the great recipe!

Old 06-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #190
blitzgp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Saw this recipe and fell in love. Just started a batch last night with some slight modifications as a partial mash.

10 lb 2-row
1 lb 60 crystal
2 lb brown sugar
3 lb LME
.75 oz falconer's flight 60 min
.75 oz falconer's flight 15 min

when I rack to secondary I will add 1 oz oak chips soaked in sailor jerry rum and I will add a chopped up fresh pineapple (1.5 lb?)

Quick Reply