Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Strong Ale > Partial - Pirate Strong Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 12:00 AM   #111
j1laskey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Pwortiz is right.

I just checked my old notes and I had a total of 7#s DME.

I hope this helps

The Secretion Brewery

Let's think it over and stop making sense

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 03:35 AM   #112
Lurch69
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

This recipe sounds great and I plan on making it soon. My LHBS doesn't have any WLP060 but I've got some Pacman in the fridge. Does anyone know if that would be an acceptable substitute or should I suck it up and order some WLP060 online? Thanks!

Old 11-10-2012, 04:10 AM   #113
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have 0 experience with the pacman and have used only 1 original 060 yeast and 1 washed yeast. I have one more left of the washed and will make my 3rd batch. I have NO idea how it would be/work with the pacman. All I know is that this stuff is frickin' awesome as it is stated. But, brewing is experimenting...let us know how it turns out!

Old 11-11-2012, 02:44 AM   #114
SoupNazi
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch69
This recipe sounds great and I plan on making it soon. My LHBS doesn't have any WLP060 but I've got some Pacman in the fridge. Does anyone know if that would be an acceptable substitute or should I suck it up and order some WLP060 online? Thanks!
Are you doing extract, pm, or all grain? Mine ended up at 1.020 doing pm and I would worry about it finishing out too dry with that yeast. Mine needed a good malty backbone to balance the alcohol and multiple flavors.

"You put the balm on? Who told you to put the balm on? Did i tell you to put the balm on?"

Old 11-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #115
Lurch69
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Are you doing extract, pm, or all grain? Mine ended up at 1.020 doing pm and I would worry about it finishing out too dry with that yeast. Mine needed a good malty backbone to balance the alcohol and multiple flavors.
I plan on doing PM. I recently switched to a keggle setup and I haven't been able to dial my process in yet so my all grain BIAB efficiencies have been suffering lately. I feel a PM would be best to make sure I get close to the desired OG.

Anyway, when I look at the attenuation of the two strains, Pacman is listed as having a range of 72-78% while WLP060 has a 72-80% attenuation so I didn't think that Pacman would run a risk of drying it out more. I haven't used WLP060 yet though so maybe it doesn't usually attenuate that much?

Old 11-12-2012, 01:54 AM   #116
j1laskey
Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I haven't used Pacman yet but I would pick a yeast that does not complicate the flavor profile.

The Secretion Brewery

Let's think it over and stop making sense

Old 11-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #117
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1laskey View Post
I haven't used Pacman yet but I would pick a yeast that does not complicate the flavor profile.
Looks interesting for something to drink in February to March. Anybody used Wyeast Ringwood Ale for this one? It's supposed to be relatively clean fermenting, but highlights fruity tones so I think it might be perfect.

Primary #1 (SS Brew Bucket):
Primary #2 (SS 7G Chronical):
Primary #3 (Better Bottle): Rye Saison
Secondary #1: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #2: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #3: Gewurztraminer Kit
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Citra Black IPA
ON TAP: n/a
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA | Belgian Wit | Black IPA | Rye Saison | Hefeweizen

Old 12-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #118
DottyParka
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have this in secondary right now with the vanilla bean and rum-soaked French oak chips. I left itin primary for a month vs. three weeks, so my oak chips had been soaking in rum all that time. After I drained the rum from the oak chips, I tasted the oaked rum; it was, in a word, TERRIBLE. Extremely bitter, turpentine-ish, and reeking of petrochemicals. So of course, down the drain with that mess.

I went ahead and added the oak chips to the secondary on Tuesday. Now I'm starting to get nervous that the beer will start to pick up those disgusting flavors. I just dumped the chips in the bottom to the secondary, so I would 't be able to easily remove them--I'd have to rack to another container.

Did anyone else have their rum turn out that gross, and also do you think it would be a good idea to just go ahead and bottle this now instead of waiting the full week to ten days? I am hesitant to open it up and taste it now as I don't want to risk infection, bu I understand this may just be necessary.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #119
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Wow....I didn't have that issue. What kind of Oak Chips did you use?

Old 12-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #120
DottyParka
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't know what particular brand they were, just French Oak Chips from my LHBS--never had any issue with "off" ingredients from them before. The rum was Tortuga Spiced Rum that I got in Grand Caymen.

Quick Reply