Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Strong Ale > Partial - John's Red (English Barleywine)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2011, 11:21 PM   #21
ericdaryl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

This is one of my favorites. We've been nursing our way through the first batch and I'm planning on making another when this one runs out. Thanks for a great recipe!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #22
booherbg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Do you think 50IBU would be too high? I like barleywines and am excited to try this (with Magnum hops instead of Nugget - also known for their smooth bittering) and don't mind a more hoppy barleywine.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #23
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Just bought the ingredients for this, but had to substitute for Wyeast London Ale as the LHBS didn't have WLP007. Excited to brew my first barleywine! I'm definitely more of a malt forward guy so this sounds really good to me. I'll post back with the results. May be awhile though because I plan on bulk aging in a secondary and perhaps have it ready for around Thanksgiving or Christmas time. Cheers!

Old 08-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #24
UnderThePorchBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Did my fourth "yearly" batch this weekend. looking forward TO IT AGAIN. LOVE TO TRY IT AT 1 MONTH THEN 3 THEN SIX. (sorry)!
have 8 four yr old bottles left that I am saving.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #25
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Well I brewed this 3 days ago on Tuesday, came up a little short on my OG, I believe this was due to my grain bill being so large and only getting 70% efficiency instead of the 80%+ I usually get doing BIAB. I decided to add 1 lb. of table sugar since I mashed around 154F and thought that the sugar could help my OG but also thin the beer out just a little.

UnderThePorchBrewing - Have you modified the recipe at all? Just wondering if you had any good results doing anything different. I have a bunch of extra Citra hops, I was thinking of perhaps dry hopping a gallon with this to see if it turns out good or not.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:01 PM   #26
UnderThePorchBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sippin37 View Post
Well I brewed this 3 days ago on Tuesday, came up a little short on my OG, I believe this was due to my grain bill being so large and only getting 70% efficiency instead of the 80%+ I usually get doing BIAB. I decided to add 1 lb. of table sugar since I mashed around 154F and thought that the sugar could help my OG but also thin the beer out just a little.

UnderThePorchBrewing - Have you modified the recipe at all? Just wondering if you had any good results doing anything different. I have a bunch of extra Citra hops, I was thinking of perhaps dry hopping a gallon with this to see if it turns out good or not.
No I have not changed anything. My second batch was very finely ground AG and I had very high efficiency ended up at 9.5% ABV and forgot the crystal. it is still mellowing but after two years is very good. (I like it, my wife and friends prefer the original). so not a change but the mistakes did create a different beer. the efficiency loss may be due to the high OG usually I see a loss of efficiency of 5% or slightly more due to the higher OG above 1.060 read somewhere this does occur but not sure where I read it or if it is true

this years batch is 3 weeks in the primary and will be transferring it very soon again no changes. just bought a chest freezer and the controller to control fermentation temps and have just about completed my electric
brewpot to do 2.5 and 3 gallon batches so then I can experiment a little but with it being good just the way it is no need to change.

I never had citra so can not comment on how it would add. would definately make it more of an American barleywine than english worth the one gallon try
Ben

Old 10-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #27
deuce40
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I want to brew this but is there anything that I could possible replace the golden naked oats with my home brew store doesn't have it.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #28
Pelikan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Golden Naked Oats is a pretty unique product in my experience. If you can't track it down it may be worth it to place a small online order, or you can experiment with lightly toasted flaked oats.

On a brewing hiatus. Will get back into the fray eventually, methinks...

Old 10-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #29
deuce40
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelikan
Golden Naked Oats is a pretty unique product in my experience. If you can't track it down it may be worth it to place a small online order, or you can experiment with lightly toasted flaked oats.
Just didn't want to have to pay shipping for one little thing but I guess I'll just by the whole grain bill online. Thanks

Old 12-07-2012, 03:17 AM   #30
TX-straggler
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

AG version please!!!
I pick this recipe to follow, just need AG
Thanks

Quick Reply