Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Strong Ale > All-Grain - Imperial Honey Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 05:48 PM   #61
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That's what I did the first time. I did a secondary this time but it really wasn't necessary, I barely got any sediment in the carboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #62
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I'm really wanting to bulk age this in a secondary for a couple months, but I also want to drink it as soon as I can.

Since I did 10g I think I might bottle 5g & secondary 5g.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #63
celestialparsnip
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This one's currently boiling away happily. I'm only making a 2.5 gallon batch... it'll be more than enough for Christmas. Speaking of which, gonna add some nutmeg and cinnamon to give it that xmas cheer and whatnot. Really should have made this weeks ago, to give it some proper aging, but finances didn't permit. Bugger.

First time I've used Special B, and my god, the smell of the crushed grains was fantastic. Looking forward to this one a whole lot.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:37 PM   #64
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialparsnip View Post
This one's currently boiling away happily. I'm only making a 2.5 gallon batch... it'll be more than enough for Christmas. Speaking of which, gonna add some nutmeg and cinnamon to give it that xmas cheer and whatnot. Really should have made this weeks ago, to give it some proper aging, but finances didn't permit. Bugger.

First time I've used Special B, and my god, the smell of the crushed grains was fantastic. Looking forward to this one a whole lot.
I spiced the batch last year, it was fantastic although the spices wore off pretty quickly. As I recall I used a teaspoon each of ground cinnamon and fresh nutmeg at flameout. This year I left the spices out of this brew and did a spiced cider instead.

Special B is a wonderful dark malt for porters, imperial stout, and dark Belgian ales, I think it provides a nicer depth of flavor than Crystal 120.

Quote:

Old 10-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #65
celestialparsnip
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Naturally, I forgot the spices. Thinking of adding them when I bottle. Just popping them into the sugar solution when boiling it up.

Pre-pitch hydro sample tasted amazing, which is nice, since it usually tastes like gunk. I have a good feeling about this one.

Old 11-07-2009, 12:39 PM   #66
zplug123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm going to try this recipe, though as a novice all-grain brewer. Could someone explain the mash schedule to me? I'm working with a 10 gal Rubbermaid with a false bottom, and have only done batch sparges.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:47 AM   #67
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zplug123 View Post
I'm going to try this recipe, though as a novice all-grain brewer. Could someone explain the mash schedule to me? I'm working with a 10 gal Rubbermaid with a false bottom, and have only done batch sparges.
You don't need to do a step mash if you aren't comfortable with it. It doesn't make much of a difference.

Quote:

Old 11-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #68
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Soper used WLP007 and it came out great. Wyeast 1028 underattenuated this years for me, next year I will use the WLP007 when I brew it again.

Undecided on the grain bill since I haven't tapped the keg but I will be sure to add the 2009 and 2010 versions to the OP.

Quote:

Old 11-20-2009, 09:57 AM   #69
celestialparsnip
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Bottling today. Added the cinnamon and nutmeg to the sugar solution.

Took a sample. Final gravity was 1.022, down from 1.082 (Efficiency was a little low) for around 7.9 percent ABV.

Sample again tasted awesome: smooth, velvety chocolate, hint of dried fruits. Slight bitterness from the choc malt, which is how I like it. This is sure to be a hit when I serve it up for christmas (Naturally, I'll be taking 'test' samples before then. No-one else is touching it before christmas eve, though. Scoundrels)

Old 11-24-2009, 03:29 PM   #70
Wild Duk
Recipes 

I brewed this up on 8/24. Its been sitting in secondary since 9/10. I usually keg beer, only bottled once, but I'm thinking of bottling this batch....Last time I had a high test beer on tap the night didn't go so well.....
So the SG started at 1.083 and ended at 1.020. Not having much experience with bottling, should I use priming sugar, or can I add a bit more yeast and use that to carb. it...

Thanks

Quick Reply