Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Strong Ale > All-Grain - Imperial Honey Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #41
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
I am going to use an S-05 starter... I can ramp it up to 154F, maybe start at 140F...
Yeah looking back through my notes I think 154*F is about right for US-05.

I hit it with an O2 stone, pitched two rehydrated packages and enjoyed a nice constant blowoff for three days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 02:51 PM   #42
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
Yeah looking back through my notes I think 154*F is about right for US-05.

I hit it with an O2 stone, pitched two rehydrated packages and enjoyed a nice constant blowoff for three days.
Sweet, this is what I am doing, thanks Sacc.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:20 PM   #43
Wild Duk
Recipes 

I plan on brewing this in the next month for my X-mas brew....Couple questions....

I've never done a decoction mash, don't really want this one to be my first attempt, so if I just do a single infusion, what temp and time should I mash at.

I have access to Wyeast, what would be a good one to use....I'm guessing a big starter also....

Thanks

Old 07-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #44
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Single infusion I'd aim for 150*F for 75 minutes.

I am planning on using Wyeast 1028 next time I brew this, 2L from the stir plate (that's about a gallon starter without a stirplate).

Quote:

Old 07-24-2009, 11:25 PM   #45
Hookstrat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
It should be close.

I also just did a quick PM conversion and that one came up as follows:

5.5# Light DME (boil 15 minutes)
3.75# Munich
2.25# Maris Otter
1# C60
.5# Chocolate
.5# Special B
2# Honey (boil 10 minutes)

Same hop schedule. Assuming 70% efficiency yields 5.25-5.5 gallons ~1.092.

Nugget is closer to Horizon as far as the flavor you get from the hops. Horizon has a bit of an 'edge' to it. Magnum is also a fine bittering hop though it's a bit cleaner.

As this has aged the spices are pretty much gone now. It's more like a barleywine now whereas when it was younger it made a good Christmas ale. The citrus hop flavor of the Cascades is coming through now more than it was when it was young, too, which is nice. For next year I think I will dry hop it with a bit of Goldings for aroma.
When you say it's more like a barleywine, is that a good or bad thing? Has it lost it's Porter character?

I was thinking about adding a little Black Patent or Black Barley? Also what do you think about malto dextrin?

Old 07-25-2009, 12:39 AM   #46
Hookstrat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
As this has aged the spices are pretty much gone now. It's more like a barleywine now whereas when it was younger it made a good Christmas ale. The citrus hop flavor of the Cascades is coming through now more than it was when it was young, too, which is nice. For next year I think I will dry hop it with a bit of Goldings for aroma.
Happy beer everybody

This is my 2nd post and I think this will be my 2nd all-grain.

Hope you can answer a few questions for me Saccharomyces:

You say it's more like a barleywine after aging. Has it lost some of its Porter character? Could you update us on the taste/enjoyability?

I'm considering upping the chocolate (as you discussed) to 0.75 lb and maybe throwing 0.25 lb of Black Patent or Black Barley.

What about mouthfeel? Do you think malto dextrin would add subtract anything?

Also, I'm planning to use some Cal V (WLP051) collected or washed from my IPA that is in primary right now. So I guess I should plan for slightly lower attenuation? Thanks for any advice!

Luke

Old 07-27-2009, 01:56 PM   #47
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookstrat View Post
When you say it's more like a barleywine, is that a good or bad thing? Has it lost it's Porter character?
As it aged, the roast character became subdued so the flavor profile got more like a barleywine (if you have had Flying Dog Horn Dog, it was very similar after about six months). To counteract that I'm going to double the chocolate to 1# and sub some special roast for some of the C60 when I brew it again this weekend.

Quote:
I was thinking about adding a little Black Patent or Black Barley? Also what do you think about malto dextrin?
Malto dextrin you won't need, there is plenty of body already. The patent/black malt would work, just don't use too much or it'll turn into an imperial stout.

Quote:
I'm considering upping the chocolate (as you discussed) to 0.75 lb and maybe throwing 0.25 lb of Black Patent or Black Barley.
That'd work great.

Quote:
What about mouthfeel? Do you think malto dextrin would add subtract anything?
Mash a few degrees higher if you want it to be more dextrinous. It's already pretty full bodied though.

Quote:
Also, I'm planning to use some Cal V (WLP051) collected or washed from my IPA that is in primary right now. So I guess I should plan for slightly lower attenuation? Thanks for any advice!
Cali Ale V and London Ale are my two go-to strains, Cal V I would mash at 152-154*F, as I mentioned I'll be using London Ale at 150*F to achieve a similar attenuation. Either yeast will produce a fine beer as long as fermentation temps are controlled.

Quote:

Old 07-28-2009, 11:42 AM   #48
Hookstrat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
As it aged, the roast character became subdued so the flavor profile got more like a barleywine (if you have had Flying Dog Horn Dog, it was very similar after about six months). To counteract that I'm going to double the chocolate to 1# and sub some special roast for some of the C60 when I brew it again this weekend.

Malto dextrin you won't need, there is plenty of body already. The patent/black malt would work, just don't use too much or it'll turn into an imperial stout.

That'd work great.

Mash a few degrees higher if you want it to be more dextrinous. It's already pretty full bodied though.

Cali Ale V and London Ale are my two go-to strains, Cal V I would mash at 152-154*F, as I mentioned I'll be using London Ale at 150*F to achieve a similar attenuation. Either yeast will produce a fine beer as long as fermentation temps are controlled.
Thanks for the tips, I went with 1# of chocolate and no other changes to grains. I used Nugget for bittering and I'm thinking of dryhopping with Willamette, but we'll see.

I just finished a bit of a nightmare 12-hour brew session. Stuck sparge, low mash temp, low pre-boil gravity, clogged spigot on my brew kettle...

I had to add 1# of DME and adjust my hops schedule for a longer boil, but my O.G. of the 4.5 gallons remaining after boiling ended up at 1.110!

I thought about letting it ride but ended up diluting a bit to meet your recipe.

Half way through I decided I didn't want to leave all of that sugar behind in my MLT, so I ended up making a 3 gallon Brown Ale as well.

I split some of the Cal V yeast I collected earlier in the day and the Imperial Honey Porter was already bubbling away before I finished cleaning!

Old 07-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #49
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Cool. Be sure to let us know how it turns out for ya. Sounds like a successful (if long) brew day.

Quote:

Old 08-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #50
Wild Duk
Recipes 

I know its up to me , but i'm not to the point yet of formulating my own recipies....I'm going tomorrow to get the grains for this brew.

I'm gonna take your advise and make it 1 pound of chocolate....

and would you sub .5 # of the special roast for .5 # of the crysatl 60, or get rid of the c 60 alltogether and do 1 # of the special roast?????

Thanks

Quick Reply