Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Strong Ale > All-Grain - Imperial Honey Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 01:15 AM   #21
s3n8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have not had a problem carbonating the 5 batches of "big beer" I have made so far. When I say Big, I mean OG > 1.090. I have never gone more than 8 weeks in primary+secondary. I have used US05, Nottingham, Wyeast 1762 and 3787 which are all tolerant of higher alcohol though. If your strain poops out at 9%, or if you plan on bulk aging, you may consider pitching more yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2009, 06:06 AM   #22
Korben
Recipes 

Actually Saccharomyces told me to low carb at 3.5 oz priming sugar and go at least 1 month in primary... Please correct me if I am wrong Saccharomyces I just emptied my folders and I am a lil drunk ( Damn I gotta upgrade my account, love this place). I mean I really don't want much head on this thing just enough to know it has some carb if that makes any sense at all... Thanks Saccharomyces and Pol for your input. Especially, Saccharomyces!

Last edited by Korben; 02-03-2009 at 05:58 PM.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:31 AM   #23
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Korben, you are correct, most barleywine (and similar) style beers are not highly carbonated. I am not sure an Imperial honey porter is exactly in line with any particular style but it will not hurt to be on the low side of the carbonation scale. My point was just that you should not have difficulty bottle conditioning or carbonating if your yeast can handle it.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:58 PM   #24
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have this carbed up in a keg to about 2.0 volumes which is about right I think so for bottle conditioning I'd stay in the 3.5-4oz range. It will carb, it may take awhile since the yeast will be stressed but this should condition a few months in the bottle anyway so I think you'll be fine.

The IBUs are very balanced in this beer. While I may mess with some of the specialty malts when I rebrew, I don't plan to change the hops. A porter by style is close to 1:1 IBU to SG and most barleywines are as well. There is a lot of malt backbone to stand up to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 02-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #25
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts

I have the ingredients for this in my bulk grain/hops buy for 2009... cant wait to try it

Old 02-04-2009, 05:18 AM   #26
Korben
Recipes 

Hey guys I can't find Horizon hops anywhere? Anyone got a source?

Old 02-04-2009, 10:58 AM   #27
The Pol
Recipes 

I am substituting

Old 02-04-2009, 05:48 PM   #28
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I bought my horizon hops from North Country. I don't know if they have any left.

Nugget or warrior are good substitutes. Failing that just use any high alpha hop and adjust for the alphas. Horizons are usually 11-12%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 02-04-2009, 07:06 PM   #29
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
I bought my horizon hops from North Country. I don't know if they have any left.

Nugget or warrior are good substitutes. Failing that just use any high alpha hop and adjust for the alphas. Horizons are usually 11-12%.
I THINK my sub is Magnum... got that from a substitution chart...

Old 02-05-2009, 04:53 AM   #30
Korben
Recipes 

I must have looked at the same chart as your Pol... I think I am going with magnum too.

Quick Reply