Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Strong Ale > All-Grain - Imperial Honey Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Step mash infusions were calculated from BeerSmith. I don't have my notes handy so I don't know the exact numbers, but you start with 0.9 to 1.0 qt/lb strike water around 139*F to hit 131*F, then add enough near boiling water to hit your sacc. rest temp which happens to bring the mash to 1.4 qt/lb or so. Doing step mashing in a cooler is a bit tricky because you need to know how much heat your cooler will absorb and adjust the infusion temps accordingly. Since about 75% of the temp difference between room temp and 152*F is 131*F, and I know my cooler absorption causes a 7*F drop with 20# of grain for a single infusion mash, I heat my water 5*F over what BeerSmith calls for for the first step and 2*F over what it calls for in the second step.

Here's a late extract addition with steeping grains:

1# Crystal 60L
.5# Special B
.5# Chocolate
6# Light DME
4# Munich LME

Steep chocolate, crystal, and special-B at 160*F for 20-30 minutes in a gallon of carbon filtered tap water. Teabag grain bag, and discard grain. Top up to 2-3 gallons depending on pot size using RO water and add 4# of Munich LME stirring well to prevent scorching. Bring to a boil and add the bittering hops (warrior or nugget are good subs if you can't find horizon). Continue boiling and add the rest of the hops per the hop schedule up to the 15 minutes left addition; then turn off the heat. Add 1.5 tsp of yeast nutrient and the 6# of light DME. Stir well, and after the DME is fully integrated bring back to a boil for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat again, add the 2# of honey, stir well until it is integrated, bring back to a boil, and then turn off the heat and cool the pot in a water bath. Top up to 5.25 gallons in the fermenter with bottled water. Aerate well and pitch 2 packages of rehydrated US-05 dry yeast. Pouring your top-off water back and forth between two sanitized buckets is a good way to aerate an extract batch. Be prepared with a blow-off rig, mine blew off even fermenting at 66*F!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #12
Korben
Recipes 

Thanks so much for the prompt reply... This is going to be my next brew! One question how does it compare with like a seirra nevada or samuel smiths porters as far as color, alcohol content and mouth feel if you don't mind me asking.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:20 AM   #13
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The closest commercial brew I have tried to it is Flying Dog's Horn Dog Barleywine. I plan to submit this beer in a comp next month as an American Barleywine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 01-29-2009, 05:57 AM   #14
Korben
Recipes 

ah... Nice so it should turn out to be about 8.5% Alc, very nice. I have a rather mixed bag of friends and some really don't like the high IBU. If i dropped it to say 36-42 would it still be respectable to me and my friends that enjoy the big beers or would it for lack of a better word suck?

Old 01-30-2009, 06:39 AM   #15
Korben
Recipes 

That is chocolate malt right... not rye or wheat... sorry probably dumb question.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:56 AM   #16
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I can do the following (thank God for computers!) I find that I lose about 1F for each degree of differential between my MLT and Strike water temp. Meaning that if I have a rest at 130F and want to step it up to 149F (to dry it out) I will have a 19F differential, so my second step 190F infusion will actually be 192F.

When I mash in at 155F, I need to strike at 164F, so I heat my strike to 179F. The differential will be about 120F, so I lose 12F to my MLT within a few minutes, then I mash in when I hit 164F

Last edited by The Pol; 02-02-2009 at 04:06 AM.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:25 AM   #17
Korben
Recipes 

Nice pol... But i am still concerned about bottle conditioning and aging times. You got any recommendations? Also, i was thinking about busting the IBU down to 40 what do you think?

Old 02-02-2009, 06:07 PM   #18
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korben View Post
Nice pol... But i am still concerned about bottle conditioning and aging times. You got any recommendations? Also, i was thinking about busting the IBU down to 40 what do you think?
I keg... but I am not sure what would be wrong with bottle aging it? I guess getting it to carb when it is already at 10% may be tough.

I dont know about turning down the IBUs... I think that this is such a big beer (read alcohol) that you would be safe with the IBUs... why? Well, there is going to be ALOT of flavor in this beer, and plenty of alcohol, I think the hops and bitterness will be less noticeable than you think. I am going on the tasting notes only, so I am just going to brew it as it is.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:34 AM   #19
Korben
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
I keg... but I am not sure what would be wrong with bottle aging it? I guess getting it to carb when it is already at 10% may be tough.

I dont know about turning down the IBUs... I think that this is such a big beer (read alcohol) that you would be safe with the IBUs... why? Well, there is going to be ALOT of flavor in this beer, and plenty of alcohol, I think the hops and bitterness will be less noticeable than you think. I am going on the tasting notes only, so I am just going to brew it as it is.
good call on the IBUs... You did make me a little concerned about the bottle conditioning. I was planning on entering this in my first competition. I think it is going to be a completely open comp just one winner no classes but it is several months away (7-8) to be exact. Any suggestions on getting a decent carb up? More sugar maybe?

Old 02-03-2009, 12:44 AM   #20
The Pol
Recipes 

I would not use MORE priming sugar... the normal ammount would be enough. The question is, will the yeast be too tired to eat it up and fart?

Quick Reply