Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Strong Ale > All-Grain - Her Majesty's Pleasure Fusion Barleywine (awards)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2009, 05:41 PM   #21
jackson_d
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I think it would be reasonable follow my recipe and see where it ends up with the two packs of yeast. You can opt to hold the sucrose back for now and see how the ferment progresses. If you want to, you can later dissolve the sugar in a bit of water, boil, cool and feed the primary.
What I meant to ask was why did you include sugar in the first place? I see many of the other Barleywine recipes have 1#. Is it normal for the style? Did you want more ABV? Did you initially think it would help the yeast work harder? Did you want it a little drier, even after the 149 deg 75 min mash?

Fermenting: 12g Elevated Line California Lager
Kegged: Elevated Line Toast IPA, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone, Elevated Line Blonde, Elevated Line Christmas Molasses Porter
On Deck: Death by Dunkel, Mango Lambic?, Barleywine, Wheat, Cali Lager, Pilsner, Honey Porter, etc., etc...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #22
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 2682 Posts
Likes Given: 112

This has been added to my list of huge brews to do. On deck are a 1.1 wheat wine and this... I've been all about the big beers lately.

Not sure if I'll make it to the LHBS before I brew this - any thoughts on what to do with the small beer if my in stock grains are Crystal 10, Vienna, MO and 2 row? Might home roast some grain...

Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin

Old 12-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #23
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The sugar was added to make sure it finished dry enough. If I were pitching on a yeast cake again, I'd leave it out.

The second runnings beer I did used a pound of crystal 80 into the mash right before sparging. Frankly, it could have been kettle steeped but my hope was that I'd get a slight bit more conversion by letting it sit in there with the sparge for 15 minutes. Maybe it worked.

I wouldn't cap the mash with a base grain though. I'd just throw the Crystal 10L in there. You'll still end up with an Special Bitter but it might be a touch lighter in color like a summer bitter. An ounce of black malt or carafa would color it up.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-13-2011, 02:16 AM   #24
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

How did this end up tasting with some time on it?

I have a very similar recipe ready to go for an 18 gallon batch, but before I use up 80 pounds of Maris Otter I would like to hear your experience. I am also planning on using EKG but at about 80 IBU and Wyeast 1056. I plan to utilize kettle caramelization for character and color.

I am also planning to use table sugar to help cut through this 1.120 monster. I expect it will be pretty dark by the time it is done boiling.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:54 AM   #25
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The last few tastes I've had of this happened in the Spring of 2010. I filled 8 bottles off the keg 6 months earlier. It took gold in the NHC Northeast regional but nothing in the big show. The last two bottles were a treat but I think they started showing some signs of oxidation at that point but it didn't ruin it by any means. You wouldn't even know I used any hops in it after the long aging and maybe a touch more would be nice. For 13% ABV, it was very smooth.

I think kettle carmelization would be a good idea if you wanted to stick to the SMASH concept.

I attempted to repeat this recipe last year and failed miserably with a Brett infection I THINK came from mixing up my clean/sour autosiphons. boooo

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-13-2011, 02:18 PM   #26
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I attempted to repeat this recipe last year and failed miserably with a Brett infection I THINK came from mixing up my clean/sour autosiphons. boooo
Oh that is sad.

Thanks for the info. From your experience with its drop to the Gravity cellar due to the 1056 and the sugar, I am going to adjust mine by removing all sugar and bumping the mash temp. I am using some 1056 cropped today at a local brewery. I will have as much as I need and will have to run some calculations to determine pitching rate. I am planning to do a first wort hopping with Magnum or some such hop and than use EKGs to finish. My since from what you are saying is that the finishing hops are less then significant after aging, which is what I am assuming will happen, but they still probably give some texture to the character of the brew.

Thanks for the response.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:28 AM   #27
manoaction
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm using BrewTarget and my numbers are coming out way different. I've never done a brew this big before, are the inconsistencies just what happens at the extreme edges of brewing?

If I put in 28lbs of Marris Otter @ 60% eff, I get an OG of 1136, and a FG of 1.034. It also warns that the beer will be cloyingly sweet and I get nowhere nere 62 IBUs.

I'm guessing I should ignore the software and go full ahead with your numbers? Thoughts?

Old 10-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #28
Prime
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm going to be brewing this tomorrow. It will be my first barleywine and my first partigyle brew. I have to make some adjustments though because I can't fit 28 lbs of grain in my mash tun. Still working on those. Hopefully I will remember to report back in a few month with how it is going!

Old 01-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #29
Code3Brewing
Recipes 

I brewed this on 12/24/11, It was a hell of a brew day.
Mash just fit into 48Qt. Coleman, but when I closed the lid it squirted out the sides.
Hit all my temps and had a 53% Efficiency for the Barley Wine. With 1# of Belgian candy my OG was 1.114 and IBU's around 61. I changed a few things to make this my own, and fit into English Barley Wine Catagory. Plan on Oaking half and keeping the other half un- Oaked for comps. Thanks for the base recipe bobby. Cant wait to try this

Old 06-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #30
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Thoughts on replacing marris otter with breiss 2 row? Thats what I have.... debating on this or water into barleywine recipe

Quick Reply