Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Strong Ale > All-Grain - Her Majesty's Pleasure Fusion Barleywine (awards)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2009, 11:20 PM   #11
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1067 Times on 711 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #12
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2814 Times on 2759 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Curious what Bitterness system your beersmith/promash is set to? I never get IBU calculations to match anyone's posting. I use Beersmith. No matter if I'm set to Garetz, Tinseth, or Rager. Also Beersmith is tell me 28l;b MO in 5G gives me og of 1059. Curious what potential your MO is? Mine says 1038. I'm sure it has something to do with equipment setups and other options. I wish there was a setup wizard

i really need to hone my Beersmith setup down to fit the recipes on here cause I much prefer proven recipes over my experience with my own

*Edit* Noticed the 120Minute boil time.That puts me at 1169 with 55IBUs.....

I would just use your recipe and get what I get, but I'm trying to scale to a 3.5G batch

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Last edited by IrregularPulse; 06-17-2009 at 04:19 PM.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:17 PM   #13
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

I'm pretty sure it was Rager.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 07-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #14
lebshiff21
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Curious what Bitterness system your beersmith/promash is set to? I never get IBU calculations to match anyone's posting. I use Beersmith. No matter if I'm set to Garetz, Tinseth, or Rager. Also Beersmith is tell me 28l;b MO in 5G gives me og of 1059. Curious what potential your MO is? Mine says 1038. I'm sure it has something to do with equipment setups and other options. I wish there was a setup wizard

i really need to hone my Beersmith setup down to fit the recipes on here cause I much prefer proven recipes over my experience with my own

*Edit* Noticed the 120Minute boil time.That puts me at 1169 with 55IBUs.....

I would just use your recipe and get what I get, but I'm trying to scale to a 3.5G batch
I noticed the same thing - but there is no sparge which results in a poorer brewhouse efficiency. Set your efficiency to something like 55 or 60% and it drops the OG estimate.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:34 PM   #15
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Correct, you can't expect to get anywhere near your normal efficiency unless you consider both the big and small beers in the calculation.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:29 PM   #16
lebshiff21
Recipes 

Any thoughts on dry-hopping this? How long/when would you do it if you think it should be done?

Old 07-29-2009, 06:39 PM   #17
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

I wanted it to remain as English as possible so I had no intention of hops to be a focal point. If you go that route, I'd call it American and use Magnum/Chinook bittering with Amarillo finishing and Cascade dry hop. I'd dry hop in the secondary at the same time that it sits on oak.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:52 PM   #18
lebshiff21
Recipes 

Hmm - thanks. I'm going to have some Centennial from my backyard - would they work w/ the EKG?

Old 12-15-2009, 05:09 PM   #19
jackson_d
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hi Bobby

Doing my first barleywine this weekend. In your recipe description, you say it'd be nicer if it was a little less abv. If you were going to do it again, would you omit the surcose, or does that need to be there to help the yeast attenuate? I've got 29# in mine right now, going to pitch two packets of rehydrated S-05, unless someone suggestes otherwise. My LHBS doesnt have Wyeast 9093 in stock right now. The farther away HBS has WLP099, but i'm not sure I like the description about esters being present with high abv..

Fermenting: 12g Elevated Line California Lager
Kegged: Elevated Line Toast IPA, Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone, Elevated Line Blonde, Elevated Line Christmas Molasses Porter
On Deck: Death by Dunkel, Mango Lambic?, Barleywine, Wheat, Cali Lager, Pilsner, Honey Porter, etc., etc...

Old 12-15-2009, 06:21 PM   #20
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

It's hard for me to know how much attenuation you'll get out of two packs of US05 since I pitched mine on a huge cake from a previous batch. I honestly thought it was going to quite at about 1.030 but it kept going down to 1.024 if I recall (whatever 13% would be because I remember that number specifically).

I think it would be reasonable follow my recipe and see where it ends up with the two packs of yeast. You can opt to hold the sucrose back for now and see how the ferment progresses. If you want to, you can later dissolve the sugar in a bit of water, boil, cool and feed the primary.

Quick Reply