Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Strong Ale > All-Grain - Fireside Barleywine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #21
Bradinator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Really digging the look of this recipe. Camping season starts in May so I am thinking if I brew it near the end November it should be ready for the long weekend.

Quick question about using the smoke malt; If I make a lower gravity version (say around 1.080-1.085) should I use less smoked malt? I was considering doing 2 lbs of Beechwood Rauchmalt. I was also considering the use of Demerara sugar instead of table sugar. Thoughts?

"There is only two ways do to something; The smart way or the hard way."

"Beer is pretty resilient stuff, its resistant to human stupidity"

Bradinator's Brews

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #22
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradinator View Post
Really digging the look of this recipe. Camping season starts in May so I am thinking if I brew it near the end November it should be ready for the long weekend.

Quick question about using the smoke malt; If I make a lower gravity version (say around 1.080-1.085) should I use less smoked malt? I was considering doing 2 lbs of Beechwood Rauchmalt. I was also considering the use of Demerara sugar instead of table sugar. Thoughts?
If you brew in November it should be really good by May. For the smoked malt, I don't think it is necessary to reduce it for a lower OG recipe since it is so mild. If you go with 2 lbs it should still be really good. Demerara sounds like a great substitution for the table sugar! Definitely go with it! If you brew it let me know how it turns out.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 10-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #23
jacobiwj
Recipes 

The beer turned out really great with the smoked malt. The first few months in bottles it was almost overpowered with smokiness. Today it's great & very enjoyable.

If you drop the gravity, I would certainly recommend you reduce the amount of smoked malt. Your best bet is to determine what percentage of the original total grain bill is smoked malt and keep it constant as you reduce your recipe's bill.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:22 AM   #24
Bradinator
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobiwj View Post

If you drop the gravity, I would certainly recommend you reduce the amount of smoked malt. Your best bet is to determine what percentage of the original total grain bill is smoked malt and keep it constant as you reduce your recipe's bill.
Good point!

Thanks for the advice guys and I will update when I brew it next month.

Bradinator's Brews

Old 11-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #25
Bradinator
Recipes 

Brew day is done! Altered the recipe a touch to fit what the LBHS has in stock.

Grains/Adjunts (14.25 lbs/1.50 lbs) -
8.0 lbs CMC Pale Ale Malt
2.0 lbs Munich Malt
3.0 lbs Smoked Rauch Malt
0.5 lbs 120L Crystal Malt
0.25 lbs Special B Malt
1.5 lbs Demerara Sugar

Hops (4.0 oz) -
2.0 oz Super Galena (US) @ 60 min
1.0 oz Fuggles (UK) @ 20 min
1.0 oz Fuggles (UK) @ 10 min

Yeast/Misc -
1/2 tsp Irish Moss @ 10 min
2 packs Nottingham Yeast

OG - 1.092 (4.5 gallon batch). A bit stronger then I was going for due to a better then expected efficiency, but nothing wrong with that. May long weekend camping in Alberta almost always has snow or freezing rain so this is going to warm my belly.

The house smelled like hickory smoke when I was brewing it. Yum.

Bradinator's Brews

Old 01-10-2013, 11:51 PM   #26
Echoloc8
Acolyte of Fermentalism
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Brewed up a batch of this on 1/5/2013, and it went great. Got 1.098 assuming 60% efficiency on the setup I had to work with, and everything went flawlessly.

Excited now! Can't believe I need to wait until after Christmas 2013 for this one.

-Rich

[Edit: Well, almost flawlessly. I should have grabbed a muslin bag for the hops: trub was an enormous pain when straining from the boil kettle.]

Kegged: Old Chub clone | Traditional Porter
On Deck: Bottling dammit!

Old 01-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #27
Tomcat0304
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Well, it'll still be beer! I tried to brew this on January 1st to ring in the new year with new equipment (BeerSmith and eBay hop filter) and my first all grain (BIAB). It wasn't until after my final gravity reading of the day (at 1.070) that I noticed this was a 4 gallon recipe... I'm not sure that I can call it a barleywine at this point anymore; any suggestions?

Cheers!

Old 01-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #28
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat0304 View Post
Well, it'll still be beer! I tried to brew this on January 1st to ring in the new year with new equipment (BeerSmith and eBay hop filter) and my first all grain (BIAB). It wasn't until after my final gravity reading of the day (at 1.070) that I noticed this was a 4 gallon recipe... I'm not sure that I can call it a barleywine at this point anymore; any suggestions?

Cheers!
You're right, it'll still be beer. You could call it a barleywine, of course, though it would be on the weaker end. BJCP guidelines suggest a minimum og 1.080 but they're just guidelines. Calling it an old ale would work if you wanted to fit within stylistic guidelines. I'm sure it'll be delicious whatever you call it.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 01-17-2013, 10:52 PM   #29
csmurdock
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat0304

Cheers!
You could of added some dme to bring it up but I wouldn't recommend doing it now. But if you had done it at high Krausen that would of worked.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #30
Tomcat0304
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat0304

Cheers!
The dumbest part of it, is that I added a gallon to bring it up to 5.25 gallons once it was cooled and in the fermenter. Oh well, lesson learned. Read the recipe more completely, and don't brew after a 16 hour workday after a few homebrews!

Quick Reply