Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Strong Ale > All-Grain - Fireside Barleywine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2010, 02:38 AM   #11
cklages
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So since I have never had a barley wine, and since KingbrianI's pumpkin ale turned out so well, I decided to give this one a shot.

The recipe came out very well, I ended up with just over 4 gallons at 1.095, but unfortunately, my yeast washing experiment failed miserably, and so I ended up pitching a single packet of US-05 into the wort. I did rehydrate the yeast, so hopefully it works out.

It kind of pained me to leave sugar in the mash tun, since the grain bill was this large, I decided to try to pull a small beer out of it as well. I added 3.5 gallons to the tun, and so ended up post boil with a 2.5 gallon 1.040 beer. It got .5 oz of styrian goldings (which was all I had) and a couple of cups of trub from my failed yeast washing experiment. I didn't add the sugar that went into the barley wine because I figured that it would be thin enough without that.

I'm hoping that if 'Son of Fireside' works out, it will help to keep my greasy mitts off of the main event for the 6 months it will take to finish!

Here is a picture of the second run.

007.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #12
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Very cool! Be sure to report back on that small beer! It should be very interesting with that malt bill.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 02-18-2011, 02:12 AM   #13
cklages
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So about 4 months in (two months into bottle conditioning) I thought I'd post a quick update.

I undershot my mash temps a little initially, and I don't know if my lack of a mash out caused this, but this beer dropped from 1.095 to 1.010 on me. I know its only been in bottles for a couple of months, but I had to try one. The alcohol is kind of noticable (of course because its young....and 11%) and it seems just a little phenolic (which could be the first signs of the smoked malt trying to poke through), but I think that this has the signs of being really good despite my attempts to ruin it. It is just a little unbalanced towards the bitter side, because it lacks a little of the malty sweetness that my mashing too low cost it. I think it really would have been great if I wouldn't have messed that up.

Now that its carbed, I'm going to hide it in the crawlspace until christmas and see how it turns out, but I am pretty stoked, this really seems like something that is going to age really well.

On a side note, the partigyle turned out well. Much of the malt character ended up being fairly muted, but it was still interesting. Then the wife 'accidentally' poured one when she was going for a centennial blonde. They disappeared shortly after that. Meh, you win some, you lose some.

Thanks for a great recipe, I'm sure I will be trying it again with a little more attention to mash temps!

The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.

Remember, nothing says 'good job' like a firm, open-palm slap on the behind.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #14
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Thanks for the update! I noticed that in this beer the smoke character seems to peak at a little after a year old, then starts to diminish again. It will be interesting to hear if you experience something similar.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #15
jacobiwj
Recipes 

Thanks for posting the recipe. My local club will be coming over to my place on March 6th to brew 20 gallons (2x10 gallon batches) of this! We're planning on making 2 small beers (5 gals each) and are still debating what they'll end up as.. I'm leaning towards either a Bitter or EPA or maybe both!

I'll let you know how it goes

Old 02-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #16
KingBrianI
Recipes 

20 gallons!! That's awesome. That's what I need to start doing with beers like this that keep getting better year after year. By the time it has a couple years on it you're down to just a few bottles and it kills you to drink one. But they're so good! Good luck!

Old 02-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #17
jacobiwj
Recipes 

Forgot to mention.. part of it is going to be aged in freshly emptied whiskey barrels (I'm thinking 10-15 because we'll either be getting two or three 5 gallon barrels - the distiller hasn't let us know how many he'll part with).

Old 04-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #18
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobiwj View Post
Thanks for posting the recipe. My local club will be coming over to my place on March 6th to brew 20 gallons (2x10 gallon batches) of this! We're planning on making 2 small beers (5 gals each) and are still debating what they'll end up as.. I'm leaning towards either a Bitter or EPA or maybe both!

I'll let you know how it goes
How did it go?!

Old 04-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #19
jacobiwj
Recipes 

Brew day was 3/6/11 and it went well. I think our crush was less than ideal though, which led to an OG of 1.094. According to BeerSmith we should have been around 1.110 OG. I racked it to secondary on 3/20/11 and the gravities were a little varied 1.020, 1.016, 1.014, and 1.018. I didn't record it, but my pantry has been around 65-68 for the past month or so.

We did have to tweak the recipe a little because of the offerings at our LHBS. We used

27lbs Maris Otter
2.6lbs Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt ( only to find out it has a very dominant flavor)
5lbs Munich Malt
1lb UK Crystal 60
0.5lb Caramel 120L
0.5lb Special B
2lbs white table sugar

3 oz Northern Brewer @ 10% for 60 mins
1.5 oz Fuggles @ 4.2% for 20 mins and again at 7 mins.

Yeast we had to change also, we used Wyeast 1728 (Scottish) and 1968 (London ESB).

We're planning to bottle in the next week or two. Hopefully the cherrywood smoke character backs of a bit. Other than the smoke flavor being prominent at racking, there was a nice dark fruit flavor with along with ethanol warming at the finish. I think it'll turn out really nice!

Also, the club decided not to buy another barrel to age it in.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #20
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Sounds good. If the smoke is too dominant now it will probably mellow a lot with some age. I've heard that the cherrywood smoked malt is much stronger in smoke character than traditional rauchmalt, which has a very mild smokiness. The yeast changes are most definitely for the better. Can't wait to hear more updates!

Quick Reply